Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 04 ZX-10R’s alternator self destructed at the track on Saturday. We’ve taken it out of the motor, and the magnets are powder/paste. The shaft’s bearing is not much more than circular tin foil, and the alternator cylinder/housing has gnarled the engine casing. The shaft is also noticeably worn.

The bikes got about 20 000km (estimated because I’ve shortened the gearing). It get it’s oil and filter changed every 2000km.

Anyone else had a problem like this????
:sad: :sad: :sad:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
do a search many have.. and kawi dont cover it...i think its bull $h1t...
Thanks, read all the threads, and feel like :puke:

I'm going to Kawasaki HO in the morning with all the broken bits, hopefully they'll come to the party. I'll take some of the info from the forum with me.

The only leverage I may have if they don't play ball, is that I'm a co-owner of a track school over here, and everyone knows my bike, and will ask questions when it's not there.

Attachments

·
Green Hippie
17,566 Posts
hope Kawi steps up and takes care of it , good luck and let us know how it goes

·
Registered
664 Posts
I wonder if there is anything preventative that can be done, or parts you can have with you at the track in case it happens again.

My reason for asking: I plan to race a car with an '05 ZX-10 engine. Should I be worried? Anything I can do to prepare?

TIA.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Ive seen this happen to another 04 there was a largely unknown recall on a oil control shim in the alternator that they only let dealerships know about for higher horsepower machines eg race bikes. In the case I saw it was covered under warranty

·
Registered
270 Posts
another one bites the dust... i had the exact same thing happen to my 04 last christmas eve. check your engine block internals (the part holding the crankshaft bearings). chances are, you'll probably need an engine block replacement if the failure occured at high rpm.

oh well but it did give me a good excuse to swap over to JE pistons, carrillo rods and KIT race bearings. and i definately got an 05 flywheel + alternator combo installed after that!

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok, here's what's happening. Kawa don't have all the parts and have to order them from Japan :headshake

Should have them here in two weeks, which give us one day to put the bike togther before out next track day. Will tell them tomorrow when I collect the parts they do have, that if the rest of the parts aren't here on time, I'll be collecting a green demo '07 ZX-10R on Friday 29th so I can run our track school :mrgreen:

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hope Kawi steps up and takes care of it , good luck and let us know how it goes
Ok, Kawa HO phoned to tell me to pick up the parts. Even with the better price, it's still not cheap. Will pick up parts in morning and take them to the shop to get fitted. Thankfully the bike will be ready for our track school on Saturday. I hated the thought of hosting a track day and not being able to ride.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts