Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a oil leak on my bike that I am having a hard time deciding where it is coming from. I have the fairings off and it looks like either the oil pan on the left side or the shifter stem seal. It's hard to tell. I have cleaned it up and taken if for a ride. It would make sense that the oil pan is leaking and being blown onto the rest. Has anyone had a problem like this and is there anything tricky about removing the oil pan. I would think it would be straight forward, but just checking before I tear into it.

Brad

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
If I were you I would invest in a service manual if you don't have one. One of the best investments you can get for your bike in my opinion.

Have you taken off the lower fairings to see if you can get a better look at where it might be coming from?

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it gets everywhere due to the wind pushing it around. After downloading the manual and looking at the oil pan, I am going to check the tightness of the oil drain first. I just bought the bike and the previous owner might not have gronked on it hard enough? It's a start and then maybe the oil pan gasket? I was just wondering if this is a common problem that someone else might have had. :dontknow:

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I checked the tightness on all the bolts and everything seemed tight. I am going to clean it up again and ride around without the belly pan on for a short ride and see if I can narrow it down a little. :headshake

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
I have had a chronic leak from where you are talking about on my 04 since i got it, it ws not the oil an gaske, not the countershaft seal, I thought for sure I had it narrowed down to the main transmission shaft bearing cover o-ring and replaced that and it is still leaking. Very anoying. I posted several times on it with pictures, search my posts.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmmmm! I power washed all the old oil off and now I have a clean bike to possibly find it. I agree....very annoying. I'll keep you posted on what I find, if anything.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
hmmmmmm! I power washed all the old oil off and now I have a clean bike to possibly find it. I agree....very annoying. I'll keep you posted on what I find, if anything.

Hope that helps, if not I heard you can use ultra violet dye in the oil and see where it leaks that way...never tried it but maybe something to think about:dontknow:

·
Registered
51 Posts
HAS ANYONE FIGURED THIS OUT YET>>>>>i am having the same problem.

please someone has to have figured this crap out

its almost so annoying to me, i want to buy a new motor!!!!!!!!!!!!1

ahhhhh left side oil leak FTMFL i am going to do waterpump seal, shift rod seal...if not, then i guess maybe countershalf seal..dunno how hard that one is to do??

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I just did the shift rod seal and oil pan gasket.....still leaks. I think I am going to tear into the water pump area and see what is going on back there. If I ever get it fixed....I'll definately post up about it.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Are you guys not hearing me?

The leak is coming fron the main drive shaft bearing cover, I belive it is a machining issue with the cover, ther is a grove that the o-ring fits into, I believe that the groove is
either machined too big or the o ring is too ring is too small. I have replaced it, and still leaks from that cover. the countershaft seal is right above that, so it would most definately make you think countershaft seal, I replaced that as well just to be safe, I am 95% positive the leak is coming from that drive shaft bearing cover.Search my posts for pics.

·
Registered
657 Posts
you can try replacing that 0-ring and applying grey high temp silicone sealant to it as well. that should account for any machining errors, just wait 24hrs for it to set before refilling with oil.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Make the bike run on a rear stand to avoid wind blowing the oil everywhere.
You can blow some powder over the area to see where it sticks at.:rolleyes:

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
you can try replacing that 0-ring and applying grey high temp silicone sealant to it as well. that should account for any machining errors, just wait 24hrs for it to set before refilling with oil.
I tried this, and It still leaked, I am going to pull it apart again and take the cover to the local hydraulic parts store in town and see if I can match up a different o-ring, and maybe get a little more agressive with the RTV, such a pain in the ass, every time you have to remove the CS sproket and pull the water pump, a major PITA, in the mean time to ride the bike, I stuff some foam in the areas the oil is pooling and flinging everywhere, it works good, I just have to clean the foam out every few weeks of riding, as it saturates with oil.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Make the bike run on a rear stand to avoid wind blowing the oil everywhere.
You can blow some powder over the area to see where it sticks at.:rolleyes:
This is how I found the leak, without the powder though, just shoot it real nice and clean with carb cleaner and sry everything well, and set the idle up a bit and just let it run in gear, and monitored carefull with a high powered light. Be VERY careful though as to not get cloths or body parts caut in your mving chain and sprocket.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
i have been looking through your old posts...20 pages worth. I am only seeing the last 500 though. Maybe it is too far out to see? I suck ass at searching on this site. Never can really find exactly what I am looking for. I will try harder.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have the same problem w/ my 06. small leak once and awhile at the shifter seal where goes into transmission. I am now leaking oil though at my valve cover it appears. I do have 20,000 on my bike though and wheelie and stunt a fair bit.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to 9Rto10R for all the help. It was fairly easy to get to the transmission end cap. He is 100% correct. That o-ring is too small. I went to the local bearing shop and got one size thicker and it installed just fine. I rode it around and no leaks as of yet. If you have a 1st gen with an oil leak...check this area. Hopefully I will not be marking my spot anymore.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
yep early on... mine wqas the starter collar o'ring

1 - 20 of 21 Posts