Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yes, I've used the search button. No, I've not come across a thread like this. Yes, this is the right forum for my post.

Basically, I am looking to get one thread going on the dreaded generator issue. Maybe to have mod sticky this.

I have an early production 04'.

I am looking for some info:

Has your stator gone yet?
How many miles do you have on it or how many before it went?
Any tell tale signs to it going?

I have an 04' with 7700 in miles. My lights seem to be bright and don't fluctuate when the bike is revved. I have cam chaing noise. Thats about it.

·
Premium Member
4,392 Posts
Same situation you are, but mine is at 57,000 km. No problems yet. Knock on wood.

edit: serial number ends in 001498.

·
Registered
20 Posts
mine 39000 km...got all the marble sound, cam chain sound...but i place my hand on the generator cover...don't feel abnormal vibration...keep finger cross....

By the way wat's ur #VIN number ?

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Same situation you are, but mine is at 57,000 km. No problems yet. Knock on wood.
Wonder if there's any difference with the foreign models (outside USA)?

mine 39000 km...got all the marble sound, cam chain sound...but i place my hand on the generator cover...don't feel abnormal vibration...keep finger cross....

By the way wat's ur #VIN number ?
The last numbers of my VIN are 015289 (all numbers after the "A")

Mine has the CCT sound as well but lights seem to be bright and don't flicker.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Mine is 04 at 14000 in miles. Done at least 20 trackdays in fast group.
I inspected the generator a year ago and it was like new. No sign of abnormal wear. Replaced the side washers just in case. Side clearance were 0,6mm, which is minimum according in shop manual.
The engine has a lot of gear whine since day one, but i understand it is normal.
The VIN number is 14000 something.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Mine is 04 at 14000 in miles. Done at least 20 trackdays in fast group.
I inspected the generator a year ago and it was like new. No sign of abnormal wear. Replaced the side washers just in case. Side clearance were 0,6mm, which is minimum according in shop manual.
The engine has a lot of gear whine since day one, but i understand it is normal.
The VIN number is 14000 something.
Thanks for the info. Can you explain a little more about the washers?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Hard to explain without pictures... But i`ll try. There are thrustwashers in both sides of the rotating drum. The sideclearance is adjusted by using various thickness steelwashers behind the thrustwashers. I have heard that the thrustwashers may wear quickly and cause excessive sideplay to the rotating drum. Also i thought that if the sideclearance is kept in the minimum, there is better oilpressure in the actual rotating drums bearings. Thats why i replaced the thrustwashers just in case, despite all seems to be fine and within specs.

Sorry my bad english :sad:

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
Mine's a 04 ending in 0034XX with 17k miles. Did the manual CCT like bloo did recently, but haven't had any problems with the generator [knocks on desk]. Lights are strong, no weird noises, haven't checked it, but no need to yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Too bad no one knows when KAWA did the rectification. (starting from which #VIN no.). Mine is#018108, hopes is the updated version...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
795 Posts
I have an '04 that I swapped out with the '05 part last year, at around 50,000 miles. It had not yet failed.
I swapped as a preventative measure.

I think the consensus on this failure is that it's caused by rapid direction changes (leaning the bike side to side) while the engine is at high RPMs, as during track day use or competition.

As the generator turns at twice the engine RPM, high gyroscopic effects generate lateral forces pushing the poorly fixed rotor sideways, grinding engine cases and stator...

Most bikes won't see this failure on the street.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Wow...that makes my worry double...the pervious owner of my bike goes to track quite often....keeps both my finger cross now...keep hearing marble noise nowadays........

·
Registered
478 Posts
I have an '04 that I swapped out with the '05 part last year, at around 50,000 miles. It had not yet failed.
I swapped as a preventative measure.

I think the consensus on this failure is that it's caused by rapid direction changes (leaning the bike side to side) while the engine is at high RPMs, as during track day use or competition.

As the generator turns at twice the engine RPM, high gyroscopic effects generate lateral forces pushing the poorly fixed rotor sideways, grinding engine cases and stator...

50,000 miles?

·
Registered
1,359 Posts

Mine will never fail then, I ride like a sissy.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Thats a tremendous amount of miles.

I've also heard that keeping a fresh battery in there helps as well.

I can't imagine that the minimal strain of a less than fresh battery causing the bearing failure. I would think that gyro effects, never up-shifting, etc would be more harmful for it than it having a little bit of resistance charging a battery. That's just my thoughts though.

I think it's insane that they designed the gen to whirl at 25k RPM. That's nutty.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Lenshead have you had to do bearings rings anything? That's awesome
When I installed the generator, I took the opportunity to adj valve clearance as well. Afterwards I did a compression check, found it low and pulled the head to freshen the valve seats. Replaced stem seals while I was at it.

That's about it barring regular maintenance.

·
Registered
478 Posts
When I installed the generator, I took the opportunity to adj valve clearance as well. Afterwards I did a compression check, found it low and pulled the head to freshen the valve seats. Replaced stem seals while I was at it.

That's about it barring regular maintenance.
That's awesome! I ride year round so this is great news to me. The seat refurb was the only cause of comp drop? Was it feeling weaker?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts