Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
WARNING: This modification to the 2004/2005 ZX10R rear suspension not recommended if you carry a passenger on your motorcycle. This mod changes the ratio of the swing arm movement to shock movement. This makes the ratio more linear, less exponential than stock. This mod makes the shock damping more consistent through out the rear suspension travel. The stock linkage was designed to deal with a rider and passenger. This mod works better with a rider only. Your results may vary.

You need the dog bone [rocker arm] from and 2005 636 [ZX6R] not the 600 [ZX6RR]. The ZX6RR uses a different part than the 636. You also need the tie rods from the 636 [marked 0018] which are slightly shorter than the ZX10R parts. You can use the stock ZX10R tie rods but you will shorten the rear ride height by 10 mm at the axle. The 636 tie rods maintain the original ride height with the new rocker arm. The tie rods and rocker arm are a straight bolt on. If you have an after market shock you may want to go down one spring rate on the shock, i.e. 10.0 kg/mm to 9.5 kg/mm.
This mod is used by several European race teams if the rules allow it.
Pictures attached.
The ZX10R parts are on the left and the ZX6R parts are on the right in the first picture.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,405 Posts
I know the least about suspension and would like to change that going into this new year (goal for 2006).

Along that vien, what's the advantage (need the Reader's Digest version)?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
967 Posts
What I gather is it refines the movement of the rear by virtue of slowing it down. Seat height will remain the same but shock absorbing effect will be better because of a more contolled (slower movement)? What I don't get is why the recommendation of no passengers after the conversion? Help me out guys. Sorry if this is a retarded question to some and if my thoughts above are incorrect please correct me

AFMEDIC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
the hawk kawi BSB race team use the zx6 rear shock linkage on there zx10s,not done the mod myself ,but who knows in the future :dontknow: at this rate my zx10 will never be finished :eyecrazy:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
740 Posts
DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!! Now I have one more thing to do to the bike. It always seems like there is one more thing to do to it, doesn't it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
With the stock linkage the shock shaft velocity increases relative to the swing arm movement as the rear suspension compresses. The purpose is to have the shock working on high speed damping circuit as it nears full travel with a heavy load. Shock damping is velocity dependent. With an extra 150 to 200 pounds on the passenger seat this set up helps keep the suspension from bottoming. With out that extra weight on the bike the last third of the suspension travel is very stiff.
With a more linear linkage the damping stays constant through out the suspension travel and if you have the correct spring on your rear shock for you weight and riding style bottoming is not an issue with a single rider.
This is a performance modification for track days or twisty road riding. I have tested if with several aftermarket shocks but not with the stock shock. It would probably help eliminate some of the harshness in the OEM shock. The OEM shock on the 04/05 has the correct rate spring for a 180 to 200 pound rider. The problem with the OEM shock is it has too much spring preload [350 pounds] as delivered and too much high speed compression damping.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
Wstaab

In looking at the parts fiche for the 10r & 6r it looked as though the caged needle bearings for the rockers are different (or atleast a couple of them) along with the inner sleeve/s so my guess would be these parts must be ordered as well in order for this Mod to work yes???

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Wstaab

In looking at the parts fiche for the 10r & 6r it looked as though the caged needle bearings for the rockers are different (or atleast a couple of them) along with the inner sleeve/s so my guess would be these parts must be ordered as well in order for this Mod to work yes???

BD
Might want to check again, BD. I did the same thing on the buykawaski.com site this AM after reading Wstaab's post. The bearings, sleeves, and seals are all the same part numbers between the '05 636 and '04 10R.

Priced out the parts from Ron Ayers for: dogbone, bearings, seals and links. Came to 'bout $280. I'm lookin' for used now, as the high-ticket items are the dogbone and the links. Bearings and seals don't cost much to replace if the used stuff is rough.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,453 Posts
1bad7 said:
DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!! Now I have one more thing to do to the bike. It always seems like there is one more thing to do to it, doesn't it.

it may take forever to finish but at least we all have the good looking 1 (04/05) and mine looks good even when its in bits spread out all over the garage floor :lol: :beer:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,202 Posts
does this mod rase or lower the bike at all???
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,644 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Priced out the parts from Ron Ayers for: dogbone, bearings, seals and links. Came to 'bout $280. I'm lookin' for used now, as the high-ticket items are the dogbone and the links. Bearings and seals don't cost much to replace if the used stuff is rough.
CC, you might want to check with Chris at Flatout Motorcycles. I recently needed to replace factory items and he was able to beat the Ron Ayers pricing for me. They are a sponsor of this forum as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,228 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Ultra-cool, but just under $500 for the adjustable dogbone & links together. :eek2:

Not sayin' they're overpriced or anything, 'cause they're way nice, but probably more valuable to a drag-racer.
remember that you get a discount for being a member here. I'm going to get them once i get the money from selling my exhaust.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Might want to check again, BD. I did the same thing on the buykawaski.com site this AM after reading Wstaab's post. The bearings, sleeves, and seals are all the same part numbers between the '05 636 and '04 10R.

Priced out the parts from Ron Ayers for: dogbone, bearings, seals and links. Came to 'bout $280. I'm lookin' for used now, as the high-ticket items are the dogbone and the links. Bearings and seals don't cost much to replace if the used stuff is rough.
you are indeed correct, however their sequence in which they are pictured differently on each fiche is why i questioned the parts in my previous post. :wink:

BD
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
Good points/ideas Spacecoast10r and 1killer1liter. Thank you.

And we'll let you slide on this one BD. :heyyou: Not everyone's a part number freak like me. :badteeth:

I've already sent $90 via Paypal to someone for a used set off a wrecked '05 636. Should be able to get stuff swapped out b4 the 2/20 trackday at Buttonwillow so I can try it out.

Excellent timing by Wstaab, as I was going to remove the shock after this Sunday's ride to send to Kyle for a re-spring, as my current spring is too stiff. Now I can do everything at once and adjust for the linkage in the spring rate as well. :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34,537 Posts
CanyonCarver said:
Good points/ideas Spacecoast10r and 1killer1liter. Thank you.

And we'll let you slide on this one BD. :heyyou: Not everyone's a part number freak like me. :badteeth:

I've already sent $90 via Paypal to someone for a used set off a wrecked '05 636. Should be able to get stuff swapped out b4 the 2/20 trackday at Buttonwillow so I can try it out.

Excellent timing by Wstaab, as I was going to remove the shock after this Sunday's ride to send to Kyle for a re-spring, as my current spring is too stiff. Now I can do everything at once and adjust for the linkage in the spring rate as well. :mrgreen:
and in the event a used 6r rocker doesn't have the bearings / sleeves for some reason wouldn't the ones from the 10 swap over?? me thinks so.

a report after 2/20 would be cool too.

BD
 
1 - 20 of 107 Posts
Top