Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

04/05 ZX10R Racing 905 Race Armor

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  cuhuba 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I bought them from a member here a couple of months ago. They were in great shape so no complaints from the transaction. They require a notch in the fairings, and reluctantly I did it. (05 ZX10)

I have to say they are super well built with awesome welds, but they are bulky looking as all hell. They look like bull horns or training wheels in real life. I have no doubt they will protect in a low side, but the appearance was killing me. I eventually cut them up and made some normal looking simple sliders out of them to fill the notches I made in my fairings. The fab actually came out pretty good and tehy look on purpose.

I regret having ever put them on, but everybody has different tastes. And I will note that my knees would also slightly tap the bars when leaned over. That was distracting and annoying. I'm 5'10" for reference.

Nothing bad to say about the transaction or the product itself. They just look liked like ass on my bike.

#5 ·
I had a very similar experience with Race Railz. Never had to test them (though I'm sure they would have done the job). I replaced them with Vortex sliders - crashed with them once, saved the frame (that's about it). In retrospect, I really wish I hadn't ever notched the fairings and put sliders on. There are good no cuts out there, like Champ's, and I wouldn't have cut a very expensive piece of plastic. I know we've heard of even Champ's not saving everything, but as riders we need to be realistic of what the protection level is going to be.

For reference - I'm 6'2". My knees hit the railz when I was off the bike, at stop lights they hit just under the knee on my shin. Between the two, the 905's look like the slider sticks out farther, but it does have plastic (delrin, I assume) vs. a metal mushroom. However, the race railz are a lot less money.

#6 ·
Looks are important, and with two fellow members saying they looked bad, I would take your word for it ( I already had my suspicions ). My question is, with previously having them on, do they look like they would protect the case as well? ------ a protected frame and motor might be worth it...no?

#7 · (Edited)
The railz did look like they would protect the cases. They didn't cover them, but obviously would hit before the cases (protruded farther, but were above the cases).

[edit: sorry for the blurry picture, I'll keep my day job]

http://www.powersbikeworx.com/railz.html

Like I said, I'm sure they would have protected well, but the looks and inconvenience of hitting my legs made me hate them.

#8 ·
Thanks for the pics..WOW, they stick out a lot!....No, I think I'll stick with the sliders.

I've seen people lowside, and after picking the pebbles out of their leathers, going to check out the bike. Frame intact, Yep busted plastic,mirror, etc.. then seeing a puddle form like it's coming from a fresh gun shot wound--uhhooohhh-busted case. At the end of the day, I guess it's a crapshoot. However thanks again..I don't think it's worth putting wings on your bike.

#9 ·
Thanks guys. I'm gonna take a miss on the cage, for now. I really don't want to cut these sharkskinz and I'm 6'3" with LONG legs so I'm definitely going to hit mine. I have enough trouble not hitting my arms off the handlebars when I tuck.

Maybe just regular frame sliders? Any recommendations? Links?

Man I'm buying so much stuff since my laydown...

I'm gonna be "fiscally challenged" soon.

Hehehehehe.:lol:

#11 ·
Good call on passing on the cage types. I really though that's what I wanted for a long time until I actually put them on...then I wanted to gouge my eyes out. I honestly doubt the 905's would protect the cases. BTW, the ends are Delrin, and super long.

The concept of putting ugly ass contraptions to protect a pretty looking bike is like putting cloth covers on leather seats. What's the point?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.