Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know of a hydraulic clutch conversion for the 04/05 ZX10R? I can not stand the clutch pull with the stock cable. I have seen the post for the variable rate lever and pretty much know the pros and cons of a hydraulic system, but after riding the Mille the stock clutch pull on my 10 seems way too brutal. I asked this question a while back on the Kawiforum site and everyone said that there was no conversion available, I am asking here because you all seem to have way more traffic than the kawiforum site does. TIA

·
Registered
675 Posts
Good question. I don't think there is any readily available conversion for the 10R. I think you may need to lube your clutch cable, or it may be bunched up somewhere to cause you any real discomfort. I'm sure the gurus here will chime in shortly.

·
Registered
235 Posts
04/05 ZX10R Hydraulic Clutch Conversion?

...this is better option...I use those and I am sure the clutch is not a problem during 2006 track days....

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
If you want a "brutal" clutch, try riding an RC51 in traffic, which coincidentally has a hydraulic clutch. The 10's clutch is quite low effort. I think your bike might have other issues.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Eric_The_Jew said:
If you want a "brutal" clutch, try riding an RC51 in traffic, which coincidentally has a hydraulic clutch. The 10's clutch is quite low effort. I think your bike might have other issues.
:+1: I don't think your going to get any thing as nice an Aprilla....

·
LE Post Whore
6,275 Posts
I highly doubt there is a conversion because the cable system is completely different than a hydraulic system. Hydraulic systems are operated by a master and slave cylinder. The slave cylinder is what pushes on the clutch to dis-engage it. So unless the transmission has a slave cylinder or the provisions for it on the left side of the bike, I dont think its possible. Just my .02

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Since the question has been pretty well addressed by trusted members-

I'll just add to the list of, "I find the clutch to be very easy and even soft compared to other bikes I've had- even my 900rr."

Ridden FZR1000's and had an interceptor 500 that had hydraulic clutch.

Hydraulic clutches feel kind of numb to me. Cable is direct, simple and reliable.

Maybe recheck the cable routing and/ or lube the cable??

·
Registered
1,595 Posts
How many miles on your bike? I thought the clutch was gonna kill my forearm after the first day when I rode ~100 miles on it. Now (2600 mi) I think it's really not that bad...

·
Registered
53 Posts
Cable clutch is better. Its one of the reasons I got rid of my 04 Aprilia RSV...the fooking thing always needed bleeding, fluid, seals....what ever. I am glad the ZX-10 has a cable clutch..its easier to adjust and a squirt of cable lube and your done with it.....no fluid, bleeding, seals going bad....nothing like thast crap...

·
Registered
746 Posts
I definitely agree with everyone who said cable is better. Lighter weight, better feel, less maintenance. Get a cable lube fixture from your favorite bike shop; they should know what you need. It has a slot that clamps around the jacket and cable, and a hole where you spray lube from a can with the red tube. I use the white lithium grease you get down at Walmart. Our cable comes from the factory with very light oil. Shoot the lube in until it bubbles out the other end and stop. That'll slick it up quite a bit! Works for the throttle too, and not just on your bike.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts