Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's the quick story...I bought a 2004 10R that had been lowsided...into a curb. All of the fairings have been replaced/repainted and the bike is running strong! However, when the bike originally had hit the curb it put some deep scratches into the headlight lens:sad:. Both headlights work fine, and the light quality isn't bad, but for appearances sake I would like to get it fixed. Does anyone know of a place where I can get just the clear headlights lens? I've found the headlight assembly for $400+ and (illegal) smoke lens covers, but can't seem to just find a pair of clear lenses. Any help would be great!!!

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
The lens itself is pretty durable, you can do alot of sanding and polishing on it and probably get the scratches out, work down to like 2000 grit wet sanding and buffing with mequires plastic x or headlight resotre. If that does not work you could install film over the headlight, they have it in all colors including cear, Laminx is the most expensive stuff, search ebay for headlight film.

·
Premium Member
9,188 Posts
I have a whole headlight that you could have, the lens is good while the body and wiring is not. Perfect for a donor lens. Just pay for shipping and it's yours.

·
Registered
370 Posts
The lens itself is pretty durable, you can do alot of sanding and polishing on it and probably get the scratches out, work down to like 2000 grit wet sanding and buffing with mequires plastic x or headlight resotre. If that does not work you could install film over the headlight, they have it in all colors including cear, Laminx is the most expensive stuff, search ebay for headlight film.
Have you tried this technic before with excellent results? If so can you give a step by step or how to? sand paper/grit used and differant polishes/wax. I would like to clear up the foggy pitted look on my 05. Thanks.

·
La Flama Blanca
7,730 Posts
Have you tried this technic before with excellent results? If so can you give a step by step or how to? sand paper/grit used and differant polishes/wax. I would like to clear up the foggy pitted look on my 05. Thanks.
Have not tried it on my 10R, but have done it on car headlights and tail lights before, its alot of work but it works, what you want to do is start with around 600 or so get the scratches out, it will look hazy at this point, probably worse, then work finer and finer grits, use wet sanding with the 1K and up grits, you could probably stop at 2K grit if you cannot find any finer. You are gonna need a buffer after this, a rotary polisher may work, but it may take longer, more work. The meguires plastic x is good stuff like super fine glazing coumpound, I am pretty sure the headlight specific stuff is about the same thing. As soon as you get the speed of the buffing pad and the compound on there you will start noticing the haze going away, just repeat until the lens looks crystal clear. Think of it like buffing out a new paint job.

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
You can also use some t-cut soft compound to shine them. I also used liquid compount+water with a brush (patience needed) and it made wonders.
Used them both on car and bike lenses.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts