Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried this and it works , the boys at Hamaguchi were correct.

Be warned , there will be no rev limiter and no shift light.

4pin.JPG

The 4 pin plug is right next to the ECU, just unplug n' play.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure if gen2's have the same setup but they probably do.

Have fun, be safe and if you are going to up your revs , get some better valve springs.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How much of a difference did you notice?
Hard to say, its a 60 degree day today , but it is noticeable, and you get a little pinging in the lower gears if you lug the engine.

I had to use 2nd gear to see if it worked , do you know how hard that is round my area 130MPH on twisty Pa roads?, first gear is too violent and too hard to keep the front down.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It is supposedly to kill the ignition retard , speed governor ,the rev limiter and unfortunately the shift light goes too.

I can tell you first hand it kills the limiter and the light , I will have to wait until I80 is clear and dark to stretch its legs.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
is there any way to get the speedo to go past 189

The speedo is capable of going past reading 189 , the only thing that stops it is the ignition retard holding the bike there, if it can show 299KMH it should be able to show 299MPH.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
Don't like the idea of not having a rev limiter. One missed shift like from my electric shift and poss. caboom!

Had a bad expreience in the past without one on a totally different bike. After I did the rebuild, I added a rev limiter, lol..

It will be interesting to read the future posts on this mod though.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don't like the idea of not having a rev limiter. One missed shift like from my electric shift and poss. caboom!

Had a bad expreience in the past without one on a totally different bike. After I did the rebuild, I added a rev limiter, lol..

It will be interesting to read the future posts on this mod though.
Should be a simple enough job to clip the revs and wire in a shift light , independant to the ECU, but I know what you are saying.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It definately works Vince , when I bought the Hamaguchi exhaust in the instructions there was an extra slip of paper showing you how to remove the speed limiter , it also had the billet exhaust valve removal piece which everyone says you dont need , according to Hamaguchi the servo has to reference correctly to let the ECU know that the exhaust is fully open.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
wow I hope not to many people do this mod and start exploding their 10r's lol..... Ive got the ignition module with extra rpm from that, it works so I'm happy so i don't have to way over rev the bike.

I wonder if the ECU wasent made to read past 189mph or if its the spodometer in mph mode?

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think the ECU gets the speed signal and then just keeps retarding the ignition to keep the bike there , I guess the real solution is to put the bike on the dyno and see if the rollers keep accelerating when the speedo reads 189, my assumption is it wont and if you strobe the ignition you will probably find it keeps pulling timing.

This mod is meant to overcome that and so far from what I have seen their claims are true , I just have too many speeding tickets to find out.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I think the ECU gets the speed signal and then just keeps retarding the ignition to keep the bike there , I guess the real solution is to put the bike on the dyno and see if the rollers keep accelerating when the speedo reads 189, my assumption is it wont and if you strobe the ignition you will probably find it keeps pulling timing.

This mod is meant to overcome that and so far from what I have seen their claims are true , I just have too many speeding tickets to find out.
I believe we had enough members on this site do well over 189mph(with GPS) but the speedo still is locked at 189mph and the general consensus is the Cluster electronics are not capable/programed or limited whatever you want to call it to show over 189mph.

As far as that mod, I'd be to scared to blow something as I have hit the Rev. limiter too many times at the drag strip :badteeth:...maybe a good mod for top end runs only like Maxton or something :dontknow:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, we know that 6th gear pulls timing for sure ,if the mod also stops that then I am happy and I dont have any reason to doubt it as the rest sure works.
If the gauge itself has a preset for 189mph then thats no big deal so long as I am still accelerating.

I am wondering if by disconnecting the plug wether Gear indicators would still work , probably not ?

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
Well, we know that 6th gear pulls timing for sure ,if the mod also stops that then I am happy and I dont have any reason to doubt it as the rest sure works.
If the gauge itself has a preset for 189mph then thats no big deal so long as I am still accelerating.

I am wondering if by disconnecting the plug wether Gear indicators would still work , probably not ?
Need more info. on that plug I'm not even sure which one your talking about and I know most of them. :dontknow: As far as gear indicators I am almost sure there is NO plug from the GPS to the ECU other than joint connectors so IMO no gear indicator other than the ones that need speed and tach signals(ACUMEN) will be affected.

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'll get a better picture, its a 4 pin plug right next to the ECU , same kind of plug that you jump the wires on a 636.

·
Bloo Moderator
23,742 Posts
I'll get a better picture, its a 4 pin plug right next to the ECU , same kind of plug that you jump the wires on a 636.
Never mind on the Pic. I see the one your talking about. It almost looks like it's acting like a joint connector we just need to see what signals are there and where they go per the manual. :dontknow:

·
Rent this space
6,590 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Heres a pic anyway, the wiring diagram doesnt show the joint as far as I can see.

plug.jpg

·
Registered
311 Posts
now if you unplug it and , and keep the one or two wire's that doesn't eliminate the rev limiter , is that posible ???, cheez the limiter is very important in dragracing .:thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 111 Posts