Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
feel free to throw the repost flag at me but i tried searching the archives.

so im familiar w the dif 520 makes on my r6 but how do you guys feel about the 520 on the zx10r? i was at solomotoparts and it appears that when referencing the 520 conversion or sprockets for the 10 it gives you -1/+1 or +2. whats up w that?
its common for r6 modders to go 520 -1/+2 and i know 90% of you guys prefer -1 in the front and that is all. but do you stick w the stock chain and why?:dontknow:

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
When I got my 04 I went with -1cs on the stock chain. This year with 11000 miles on the clock I decided to replace my chain so I went with the 520 conversion. I ran into the same issue you have encountered. I said what the heck and went 520 -1/+1 and holy crap. I don't know if it is the reduced rotating mass or the +1 on the rear, or a combo of both, but now the bike pulls hard down low and into the mid. It still has the high rpm hit but I find myself crusing in town 2 gears higher than I used to. So either way, reduced weight or gearing change, my 10 is a much better street bike now. If it is the reduced weight I'd like to see what lighter wheels do.

·
Site Sponsor
324 Posts
We have the Driven 520 Conversion kit and it comes as either a -1 in the front only or as a -1 front +2 rear conversion. From the feedback we have gotten on these kits, most say the -1 front is plenty for the street. It provides less rotating mass and more low end power. Those that go for the -1, +2 setup want all out performance. So I guess it's a matter of personal preference and what you intend to use the bike for.

Here a link for more info on the Driven kit: http://www.surfsidemoto.com/store/product/OFDDPK2K.html

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
I have a 520 -1/+2 combo with the DID ERV2 520 chain and vortex sprockets. I loved them since the day I put them on. Only thing is I'm on my second chain in 8000 miles. With the 520 the chain seems to wear alot quicker but the acceleration I got out of it is worth the $150 every 9 months. With the -1/+2 it makes daily commute so much nicer as well as all backroads. Less shifting is needed. Make sure you get a speedohealer unless you're like me and don't really care that my speedo is off. But worth the money definetly.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
word.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
im running -2 right now, just curious because i need to replace the chain and might as well upgrade eh? with -1/+2 520 conversion how do you think that will differ from my 15 tooth front? stronger low-mid pull?

·
Banned
363 Posts
im running -2 right now, just curious because i need to replace the chain and might as well upgrade eh? with -1/+2 520 conversion how do you think that will differ from my 15 tooth front? stronger low-mid pull?
I think it would be close to the same or your bike probably wouldn't rev quite as fast with the change if you're running a 15t in the front. I hear that -1 in the front is equal to +3 in the back.

·
Speed Freak
12,730 Posts
Ive been running a DID ERV3 chain for about 12,000 miles with all sorts of gearing from strip to top end and it hasent stretched much at all. My boss is running same chain on his 215mph busa with 200+ hp btw.

·
inappropriate
7,728 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
-1/+2 what is your top speed in first gear?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts