Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I started out about a month or so ago with a 03 ZX-6RR frame with the intention of building a track bike. I had bought the frame (no title), sub-frame, 05 swing arm and wheel, 05 forks, triples, and gas tank. I had planned to use my 08 ZX-10R front wheel and brake rotors, as well as vortex clip ons, Brembo RCS, and kevlar lines. Well, while searching for an engine for it I ran across an 03 636 with under 10k miles that was missing all the plastics and the gas tank was pretty beat up. Needless to say it needed a lot of work, but it had a salvage title and it was barely more than just a motor would have been for the other frame and also included EVERYTHING needed to run. So, I picked it up and changed the plan a little. Now I have a bunch of 03/04 parts for sale and the bike is being built up. So for now she is really ugly, but I will work on that after I get everything squared away mechanically. Mainly I just want to get it ready for the track season next year and ride it as is for a while. As she sits now, here is the parts list of what I have and what I need/on the way.

Have:
2003 636
05 forks (stock for now, will get AK-20's after I sell my zx-10 AK-20's)
07 R6 monoblock calipers
Kevlar lines
Brembo RCS
Vortex Clip Ons
08 ZX-10R front wheel and rotors
Track bodywork (no idea what brand)
05 Swingarm with linkage
05 rear caliper
05 rear wheel with rotor and sprocket (have 3 different sizes)
Penske triple clicker shock

On the way/in progress:
Dan Moto carbon slip on
oil change
coolant flush
remove emissions crap
tune up/basic maintenance (including valve check)
finish bleeding brakes

Need:
rear tire
rear sets
05-08 front fender (what other years/models fit? zx-10?)
paint
powdercoat frame, swingarm, subframe, rear wheel black (next winter I think)
maybe power commander
slipper clutch (next winter when I do the powdercoat)

Pics:
When I bought it...

Working on it...

As she sits today before I take the bodywork back off to prep for paint (I do it myself).

Gonna be a lot of work over the winter, but whatever, should be fun! Thoughts, comments, criticism all welcome.

·
Registered
6,028 Posts
since youre already doing a swapped front end, why not get a BPF from a new ZX6R? Just curious.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The triples are not the same. It would have been a lot more work to swap out for those and I think the AK's are better anyways.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Was the swing arm a direct fit? Wheel base still the same?

Still pizzed at you for stealing MY motor! :1848:

( I have a line on two right now) :wink:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Was the swing arm a direct fit? Wheel base still the same?

Still pizzed at you for stealing MY motor! :1848:

( I have a line on two right now) :wink:
Wheel base is supposed to be pretty much the same, within the adjustment range anyways. I did not measure first cause I was gonna do it anyways. A bunch of guys on the kawiforum have done it and said it is the same. It fit right up but you have to use the newer wheels, spacers, brake caliper bracket. This is gonna be a total frankenbike so I am sure I will be playing with the geometry a lot. I might have to ride yours once it is back together so I can see the difference and maybe use some baseline geometry numbers.

·
SPLAT!!!
2,340 Posts
Coming together great lookin good. swingarm looks good on there and good call on stickin with the forks/ak kit the bpf swap would have been a pain with no gain. Itll look sweet with everything PCd black lookin forward to finished product

·
Registered
874 Posts
I had an 03 636 and loved that bike. But didn't you sell your 10 that was set up for the track? Why are you doing a 6 now?

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had an 03 636 and loved that bike. But didn't you sell your 10 that was set up for the track? Why are you doing a 6 now?
The 10 is back to stock and still for sale. Some of the parts are left from it and are for sale.

A couple of reasons to go to a 6, first being cost... I still owe on the 10 and looking to lose the debt. I picked this up for a song, and won't be nearly as scared to wreck it (which should let me be a little more aggressive with it). Also I have adapted the park it in the corners, and shoot down the straight mentality... I have to learn to get faster in the corners, brake later, and accelerate sooner. That is easier to learn on a 6. I am just forcing myself to go fast with less power which should make me a better rider.

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
I have to learn to get faster in the corners, brake later, and accelerate sooner. That is easier to learn on a 6. I am just forcing myself to go fast with less power which should make me a better rider.
Bingo. When you learn it..teach me. So far I'm just slower all around. :helmet:

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
We can work together no problem man... but you are going to have to ACTUALLY show up at the track sometime.:heyyou::eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Strange... I did not notice a big honkin coon-ass siting on the bike when I got to it.

(there were like 5 other people standing around waiting to snatch it up if I didn't take it, but I had contacted the guy first so he held it till I could get there... 1.5 hour drive)

·
MIA Post Whore
8,727 Posts
Strange... I did not notice a big honkin coon-ass siting on the bike when I got to it.

there were like 5 other people standing around waiting to snatch it up if I didn't take it,
Ya...we only corresponded via text message and email. he didn't respond very often, and then not at all when I asked about a tittle, so I gave up on it. My loss. But I have a local lead on a motor of about $500 so might end up being a win. ...just giving you crap anyhow.. :eek:ccasion1

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Today my exhaust arrived for the 636 and I installed it. But after starting her up I think my far right cylinder is not firing, I will dig into that tonight. Better pics later, this is all for now.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well, #4 cylinder is getting spark, and fuel (plug was pretty wet) but it does not run right and when the bike is warm I can spray water on the headers and the #4 tube does not steam the water off right away so I can tell it isn't working right.

So I decided to run the bike with the airbox off so I can see what is going on. While running (no airbox) the #4 throttle body is shooting a fog of gas up out of the top. So... either the injector is stuck open and spraying everywhere, or one or both of the intake valves is messed up and the piston is shooting the gas back out. I need to borrow my buddy's compression tester and find out. If compression is good I will get new throttle bodies. If not, I will dig deeper. Whatevs though, I don't care... this bitch is gonna comply weather she wants to or not, even if I have to do a whole top end.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
try moving the injector to another TB to see if the problem follows it.
good idea, but I am going to check compression first. Hell, I will likely go ahead and pull the TB's, and valve cover... and check the valve clearances.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hey man,
regardless if we work something out on the forks, i have a front fender i will hook you up with for a couple versus..

Shoot me a PM as i am trying to make some room in the house, as i have another set of trackskins coming to the house in another week or 2..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts