Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I am new to the Forum and I've searched and read and read across this community find a problem similar to mine I have a 03-04 Kawasaki ZX-10R and I just got the bike used for a hell of a deal. Previous owner said it was a fuel pump problem so I took the fuel pump out and I hooked it straight to battery and nothing was wrong with it I put it back together and it started priming but when I started the bike automatically goes to WOT on its own it's NOT the throttle cable. and I can't really warm the bike up enough to adjust the idle knob on side of the bike because it is going straight to 11k RPMs wide open throttle it's scary LOL but pretty sure it has to do with the TPS sensor any help or advice would be appreciated thank you

·
Registered
489 Posts
f**** that must be scarey!

Im sure others will chime in here with better advise, but are you SURE the throttle cable is not binding somewhere? With the engine off, you can twist the throttle all the way and release it and it snaps back instantly?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am positive it's not the throttle cable there's throttle play and it even twist and snaps back with no issues at all but I was also wondering how open are the secondary butterflies supposed to be with the key in on position?

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
If as i suspect you have a secondary fly issue, you need to pull the airbox completely and reinstall the fuel tank in the prop up position so you can see the throttle bodies and and all the vacuum pipes and connections etc. Is there any damage or marking on the retaining screws of the plates themselves indicating they have ever been removed and refitted? Are all the small black vacuum pipes in place and undamaged? key off the secondary's are closed, key on they open then close down to a not fully closed position, start and they should only move a little and only small increments when you blip the throttle, if they go wide open when it starts that's the issue but we then need to investigate the cause!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your input with the key off the butterflies are all the way closed then when I turned the key switch on the butterflies open close then they open about three-quarters of the way from wot so you're saying they're only supposed to be about a quarter of the way open cuz if so that definitely is the problem question is how do I go about fixing that thank you so much

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you so much for your input with the key off the butterflies are all the way closed then when I turned the key switch on the butterflies open close then they open about three-quarters of the way from wot so you're saying they're only supposed to be about a quarter of the way open cuz if so that definitely is the problem question is how do I go about fixing that thank you so much

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I'm sorry I meant secondaries open close then open almost all the way to wot
OK if you done that with tank propped up and started motor, and that is happening that is the cause! If you haven't done that with tank propped and engine started please do If the bike has been tuned without the plates on the secondarys (why i ask if they appear to be previously removed) and then re-fitted when selling the bike it will rev up! = retune! I now go 2 ways, one the position sensor is fubar, but not out of place (aligned correctly) if the secondary's fluctuate correctly prior to started = remove it and test as per the workshop manual, have you down loaded the manual?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts