Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Cam degree now in oem postion is intake 105.5 and exhaust 107.5 measured at 1mm lift.
Will leave it like this now, after break-in I go to 108/109.
Side note: pay attention to chain tensioner, it affects cam degree up to 1.3 degrees (tensioner normal vs little stiff).
On race engine I always use manual tensioner. Kit manual says to turn it until it becomes hard to turn. Thats very broad statement :( and I think it will be too stiff this way.
I suggest to turn until you feel it becomes about 2 to 3 times "harder" to turn. It ramps from 2x to 3x within maybe half to one turn. Do that and then loosen 1 to 1.5 turns.

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
385 Posts
So much info here.???
You are doing great job.
What cams are these with the red and blue lines?
Red is Kent KAW35. Blue is gen4 KIT. Gen5 2016 used same intake kit cam, meaning intake kit was same for gen4 and 2016. But somewhere 2017 or 2018 Kawa made "new" kit cams for 2016 to 2018. .

·
Registered
385 Posts
Compression.
Measured chamber volume, did not get precise measurement and concluded according to fishy measurement compression should be somewhere between 12.7 to 13.2.
mpp12 you have 2019 piston on table and said that pockets are deeper. Is center surface a bit higher (to compensate deeper pockets)????

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Exhaust cam is more intresting. 2019 is black line, green gen4.
Cam duration is significantly less than gen4 at low lift! Max lift is about same.
Sorry got no 2016 data, but I bet 2016 profile i bigger than gen4.
Main point to notice is that ex valve opens about 6 degrees later than gen4. Then opens more rapidly and catches up at 4mm.
One may ask "wtf smaller than gen4?"
It's good that its smaller at low lift, keeps gas pressure working longer and sure better for midrange. Its is still able to exit gas as good as gen4 because 2019 port shapes are better.

View attachment 444588
ports of gen5 are substantially better than gen4 in the exhaust side. that is the big difference... between the 2

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Red is Kent KAW35. Blue is gen4 KIT. Gen5 2016 used same intake kit cam, meaning intake kit was same for gen4 and 2016. But somewhere 2017 or 2018 Kawa made "new" kit cams for 2016 to 2018. .
for reference the kit gen5 needs springs and kit gen4 altho same numbers do not need springs.... kit gen5 is meant to rev higher

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Cam degree now in oem postion is intake 105.5 and exhaust 107.5 measured at 1mm lift.
Will leave it like this now, after break-in I go to 108/109.
Side note: pay attention to chain tensioner, it affects cam degree up to 1.3 degrees (tensioner normal vs little stiff).
On race engine I always use manual tensioner. Kit manual says to turn it until it becomes hard to turn. Thats very broad statement :( and I think it will be too stiff this way.
I suggest to turn until you feel it becomes about 2 to 3 times "harder" to turn. It ramps from 2x to 3x within maybe half to one turn. Do that and then loosen 1 to 1.5 turns.
you can go both bit higher on both...

·
Registered
50 Posts
for reference the kit gen5 needs springs and kit gen4 altho same numbers do not need springs.... kit gen5 is meant to rev higher
You are right.
I compared an 2011 gen4 and an 2016 gen5 head internals
And found that Gen5 springs have a little thicker spring wire in order to rev higher but the height when you fully compress them is 1.1mm higher on intake and 0.4mm on exhaust than gen4
Also at Valve spring installed seat height gen5 spring have a little less lbs seat pressure.
I don't remember does the Kawasaki offers kit springs on gen5?

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Look gen5 2016 intake is same as gen4 but in 2017 forward is another part number...

Sent from my SNE-LX3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Yes you can buy kit springs gen5. Kit springs gen5 2019 are other part number

Sent from my SNE-LX3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
385 Posts
Got head back from shop, one seat needed minor recut. Everything ready to assemble, but unfortunatley broke my ribs on MX bike, sorry now eveything delayed for 3 weeks again.

·
Registered
385 Posts
you can go both bit higher on both...
Yes maybe 110 or 111 on intake. At exhaust I stay at lowest absolute number, because my uneducated feeling tells me that overlap will suffer because ex duration is small and I lose advantage of ex valves opening faster.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
So will you use the cam chain tensioner 19 or the previous one...??
I would use the 19 (that is in the head) of course, since it will get no oil, will use a mechanical one and put something in the 16 hole

·
Registered
385 Posts
So will you use the cam chain tensioner 19 or the previous one...??
I would use the 19 (that is in the head) of course, since it will get no oil, will use a mechanical one and put something in the 16 hole
Manual 2019 tensioner is the ONLY option because:
  • You must use 2019 chain guides, because chain is wider..
  • Must use 2019 chain, because cams sit higher and 2019 chain is longer. Who can make 2016 chain longer, I dont?
  • Guide dictates upper (head) tensioner.
  • No oil feed there and shape is different between 2016 and 2019 means only "manual 2019" is player.
Look at pic in post 31, manual tensioner is already there :)

·
Registered
906 Posts
Recording finger follower profile. In order to compare to buckethead, must be done in-head.
Why is entire profile important?
1. Degree data given by Kawa at 0.3mm is not very practical because valve moves very slowly at the beginning, opening and closing tails are sometime different between stock, kit, Kent are different at low lift. Hard to get accurate degree. One mm data is much more practical and allows comparing to other race cams.
2. Later checks based on only valve lift at TDC is possible. Etc.

View attachment 444583

Nice setup you've got there,very clever!

·
Registered
385 Posts
Got engine running finally. Will hit racetrack this weekend and report performance.
P.S. One more difference: 2019+ thermostat housing (attaches to head) is wider (not compatible).
Edit: 2019+ spark plugs have smaller diameter.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Now its 101% confirmed that it works!
Had three hard days at race track with this engine, set personal best laptime and engine didn't blow.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Little update.
I edited my last post and deleted misleading info about power feel and cam degree.
Had funny mess up. Wrote before about weak top end power and that I degree the intake to bigger number.
That was a mistake. The reason for weak top was probably not cam, but self modified oem filter that closed flow at higer power (silly, I now).
Finally got BMC race fiter, but cam degree was already changed. On track now the midrange was gone, top 11k+ was ok. Went to dyno and it confirmed that below 10500 it made 15hp less than 2016 with exhaust and correct afr tune must make.
Max was only 185 at limiter 13500 (should be over 190 with full Akra).
Now will go back to oem degree and see what happens.
I suspect degreeing 2019 intake to higher number will kill the cam overlap phase and lose MUCH power below 11k.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts