Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
So 16 hg lines up except the tensioner hole??
Then looks feasible.

If I'm understanding correctly the 19 uses the tensioner on the head and 16 on the cylinders

Sent from my SNE-LX3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
If cam chain is same and sprockets in cam same. Then could be done

·
Registered
385 Posts
So 16 hg lines up except the tensioner hole??
Then looks feasible.

If I'm understanding correctly the 19 uses the tensioner on the head and 16 on the cylinders

Yes, 16 gaasket lines up. 2016 has no tensioner hole.
Yes 2019 has tensioner inside head. Probably oil pressurized like most car engines.

·
Registered
385 Posts
If cam chain is same and sprockets in cam same. Then could be done

Chain and sprokets are NOT same. I see no obsticales today, will make valve-pistion clay test next.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Crank the same. Need to use sprockets in cams and in crank 19. Then check timing...

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
19 pistons have deeper pockets than gen5 16 to 18 and gen4...

I have had them side by side

You just need to degree cams and check valve to piston clearance in the kit manual it says the minimum distance and where you should measure it...

And done...

·
Registered
385 Posts
OK. Got bottom end assembled this week.
And yesterday and today back to the head again :)
Posting pictures and comments to work done.

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
385 Posts
Clay test. Result: valve angles are same, plenty side clearence in valve pockets.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Recording finger follower profile. In order to compare to buckethead, must be done in-head.
Why is entire profile important?
1. Degree data given by Kawa at 0.3mm is not very practical because valve moves very slowly at the beginning, opening and closing tails are sometime different between stock, kit, Kent are different at low lift. Hard to get accurate degree. One mm data is much more practical and allows comparing to other race cams.
2. Later checks based on only valve lift at TDC is possible. Etc.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Piston to head check.
I use this method: Feeler gauge blades on piston and head lightly toqued without gasket, turn crack to feel light toutching.
Got pistons sitting 0.22mm inside cylinder.
My engine cases are actualy gen4! Pistons, rods, crack 2017. I have seen 0.1 to 0.15mm with gen4 engines and one 2016 with just 0.05mm.

·
Registered
385 Posts
My new degree "wheel", a servo drive from demo robot... accuraccy 0.01 degrees :)
Uh boy, now degree is pleasure, not pain!
Get popcorn ready... 2019 cam data follows.....

·
Registered
385 Posts
This is 2019 ZX10R intake profile, black line.
Profile is similar to gen4 (green), degree is about 4 degrees less that gen4.
Like a said, I dont care much about 0.3mm Kawa data, those may say duration is more (whatever), but at 1mm and above the profile is "about same".
This is little surprising that Kawa did NOT opt for sharper intake cam with lighter follower train. I think 2019 kit cam is much "sharper" (opening and closing faster) and sure more lift.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Exhaust cam is more intresting. 2019 is black line, green gen4.
Cam duration is significantly less than gen4 at low lift! Max lift is about same.
Sorry got no 2016 data, but I bet 2016 profile i bigger than gen4.
Main point to notice is that ex valve opens about 6 degrees later than gen4. Then opens more rapidly and catches up at 4mm.
One may ask "wtf smaller than gen4?"
It's good that its smaller at low lift, keeps gas pressure working longer and sure better for midrange. Its is still able to exit gas as good as gen4 because 2019 port shapes are better.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Piston to valve clearance.
mpp12 wrote that 2019 pockets are deeper (I use 2017 pistons).
And it makes sense, because my measurements show little reserve at exhaust valve.
I have cams in round oem holes and get 1.55mm ex and 0.75mm intake ptv clearance.
This is with 0.5mm gasket (oem 0.85 if im coreect?), but remember I have gen4 crankcases and pistons 0.22 below level (and 2016 is probably somewhere at 0.05mm level). These two compensate eachother. Third factor is that my cam chain is new and streches when broken-in. Strech increases intake ptv and reduces exhaust ptv.
Shortly: intake ptv is not critical. Exhaust has only few tenths mm reserve when all 2016 components are used with 2019 head.
Advice: main point to pay attention with using 2019 head on 2016 or 2011 is to check exhause valve clearance to piston. Its measured at 10 crank degrees before top dead center. Gen4, gen5 spec is 1.2mm, I have not 2019 kit manual, maybe little less there.

21 - 40 of 63 Posts