Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2018 zx10r KRT I was curious if anyone knows if its possible to put a 2019 zx10r KRT head on the ‘18? I wanna know what I need parts or modifications wise if any of that is even needed.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No, cannot use the 19 head on an 18..something 2 do with oil not being able 2 flow properly due to misalignment.

·
Registered
835 Posts
KRT is just a graphics kit so it doesn't matter if its KRT edition or not.

If you want to go 2019, just buy the entire engine and sell your 2018. You will need a 2019 ECU as well. That's generally it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
No, cannot use the 19 head on an 18..something 2 do with oil not being able 2 flow properly due to misalignment.
Oil channel aligns perfectly. Tensioner input stays open, manual shoud not be a problem.

·
Registered
383 Posts
I have a 2018 zx10r KRT I was curious if anyone knows if its possible to put a 2019 zx10r KRT head on the ‘18? I wanna know what I need parts or modifications wise if any of that is even needed.
Doing this myself, 90% sure it works out. Hope no bad surprise rises, ordered parts already.
These 2019 parts are "must have" (not compatible to pre 19):
Cams.
Cam sprokets (all 3).
Chain (longer, wider).
Guides.
Cam cover (lower).
Tensioner sits in head, looks like oil pressurized, must use manual tesioner.

·
Registered
383 Posts
KRT is just a graphics kit so it doesn't matter if its KRT edition or not.

If you want to go 2019, just buy the entire engine and sell your 2018. You will need a 2019 ECU as well. That's generally it.
2019 ECU talks to different injectors, IMU. And not sure if cluster and tb will work with 2019 ecu. Maybe easier to fuel tune 2016 ECU for new cams and ports.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
958 Posts
So your basically updating your 18 to a 19 finger followers setup? I'm very curious if this will work, keep us posted

·
The Pace
7,013 Posts
Call Kawa corp techs and they'll get right to the answer. ENGINE: Their policy, unless recently changed, has been, and always will be, according to three dealers I've personally dealt with, NO new engine sales. Kawa will rebuild forever on their warranty dime, and they offer a SEVEN year warranty, so us clients have no grip. Also, a tiny problem with this site is that it attracts a world membership. My point here is that Kawa corp has DIFFERENT warranty polices for either each country or sub-continent area. I'm not chipping at our corporation, as they have my total respect, but simply ask THEM questions directly about parts and warranty as the company is in the business of products and all products are backed by reputation. Kawasaki has a great reputation; however one Kawa dealer and one independent dealer and also ex-Kawa dealer balk at Kawa warranty service; what I got out of the ex-Kawa dealer is that the corporation is demanding about warranty procedure. I have no problem as everyone must earn trust. Only way. My impression is that Kawasaki trusts customers and dealers based upon data. Like any excellent company, they look at the data.

Finally, even if you failed to buy extended warranty, Kawa techs will answer questions.

·
Registered
2018 ZX10R SE
958 Posts
Call Kawa corp techs and they'll get right to the answer. ENGINE: Their policy, unless recently changed, has been, and always will be, according to three dealers I've personally dealt with, NO new engine sales. Kawa will rebuild forever on their warranty dime, and they offer a SEVEN year warranty, so us clients have no grip. Also, a tiny problem with this site is that it attracts a world membership. My point here is that Kawa corp has DIFFERENT warranty polices for either each country or sub-continent area. I'm not chipping at our corporation, as they have my total respect, but simply ask THEM questions directly about parts and warranty as the company is in the business of products and all products are backed by reputation. Kawasaki has a great reputation; however one Kawa dealer and one independent dealer and also ex-Kawa dealer balk at Kawa warranty service; what I got out of the ex-Kawa dealer is that the corporation is demanding about warranty procedure. I have no problem as everyone must earn trust. Only way. My impression is that Kawasaki trusts customers and dealers based upon data. Like any excellent company, they look at the data.

Finally, even if you failed to buy extended warranty, Kawa techs will answer questions.
Scout, I'm curious what you said has to do with this thread? I get that your info is accurate but as far as a head swap, how is it realavant? They won't cover it so they probably won't answer it

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Very interested... my idea is that if HG don not align then it cannot be done...
and you will need a entire 19 head just to test out. since 19 head uses fingers...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So it’s a no go? Lol I don’t have heads to test I might just buy a 2020 zx10r if worst comes to worst but I’d like to figure this out so I can convert my ‘18 I’ll do some more research and talk to some people to confirm if it does or doesn’t align.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
According to a guy that I heard in a youtube video the oil passages do not align (a racer that dreams he tunes), also HG part numbers are different also ECUs are different and suspect that wire harness is different.

I know that
HG
Pistons (I have seen them in my hands)
complete Head
ECU

are different, if the passages are different is a no go, Im 99% sure that its a no go... head of gen 5.2 in a gen5 bottom.
Im pretty sure kawasaki address some issues with oil in the gen5.2 (19-20) since the 16-18 where not as reliable (especially as some youtube imbeciles are advertising to rev the shit out of them almost to 15000rpm) as gen4, also the 19-20 will rev more in RR configuration..

A gen5.0 head and gen4 are interchangeable for sure. head and trans(just switch the sensor)

·
Registered
383 Posts
Finally got missing parts. Happily guides seem to match at first look.
Lower sprocket is symmetrical as expected and chain run offsets match too. Since cranks part number did not change, then pretty sure engine cases in relation to chain run stayed same for 19.

To clarify confusion here about oil passages:
1. 2016 has only one passage (cams).
2. 2019 has two (cam and tensioner).
Cam passage aligns and tensioner passage stays in open air like I said. Belive me, woud not have ordered parts without making gasket match sure beforehand!

Dont have tensioner, will turn one myself, seems concentrical now.

Only unknown concern left is valve angles. Hope none or minor change there, if yes then possibly need to port piston valve pockets a little.

Will see in few weeks if engine will run and no unexpected trouble.

Reactions: michael4012

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
The angle will be no problem. Do you have a gen5 19 head??

Sent from my SNE-LX3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
383 Posts
The angle will be no problem. Do you have a gen5 19 head??

Sent from my SNE-LX3 using Tapatalk
Will keep it for my race engine.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here is tensioner oil passage. Sharp ends of two screwdrivers do toutch. No problem leaving it open when manual tensioner is installed.

Reactions: jd41

·
Registered
383 Posts
Could you send us more pics, to better understand de diferences in HG, etc.
Here some more pics.
I dont have 2019 gasket, but it is safe to assume that it just has additional area extending below tensioner.
Did not need to buy one because have many g4,g5 kit gaskets that fit.
Funny, you could use 2019 gaskets for gen4 and 2016 too.

First picture has gen4 and 2019 head side by side.
Second shows the only area where 2019 is larger.

Reactions: jd41
1 - 20 of 59 Posts