Kawasaki ZX-10R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone used one of these on any bike? More specifically a 3rd generation ZX10 ?

I am not a huge fan of the available ECU options, the Kawasaki race ecu allows timing changes, but apparently you can not control fuel with it very well, and to tune it you need a ~600.00 $$ cable...

Any feedback would be well appreciated :)

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Never heard of it til now.
Not here to advertise for free I hope but here is what I found, guess it's what you are talking about

http://www.microsquirtmodule.com/

Pwr commander and ignition module seem more tried and true to me.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Did I come off as trying to advertise? :-/

I have heard of this product although in the form of megasquirt for a few years, but never used one. It seems very well tested, just curious if someone had experience with them on something like the ZX10

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Did I come off as trying to advertise? :-/

I have heard of this product although in the form of megasquirt for a few years, but never used one. It seems very well tested, just curious if someone had experience with them on something like the ZX10
No but it happens sometimes.

If it really came off that way I would have yelled SPAM,:mrgreen::eek:ccasion1

That unit looks like you need to be an electronic guru compared to a pc/ignintion module set up.

Interesting though.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, after a little research, nowhere near enough, I made the plunge and grabbed a Megasquirt 2 V3.0 and a MS3Xpander and 4 bar map sensor (No reason to have 1.5 bar limit), and spare wiring harness, I am going to try to make the bike work stock with this, and then I have some "other plans". Wish me luck, seems like it will be a fun project.

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
Cool, do a write up as you go with pics.

Someone like Garth may be interested in using one.

It seems like more than I'd want to deal with.

·
Registered
681 Posts
:dontknow: Seems like a waste of time/ too much tuning and set-up. Pc III is plug and play, MORE time on the bike than in the shop.
Please explain it.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:dontknow: Seems like a waste of time/ too much tuning and set-up. Pc III is plug and play, MORE time on the bike than in the shop.
Please explain it.
PCIII is also nearly as much as a stand alone to do ignition and fuel control. Not to mention the 4 bar map sensor has its advantages.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
How does the 4 bar map sensor have it's advantages in a non-boosted setup? You just lose resolution in your map. Stick with the 1.5 bar unless boosted. Even if you are boosted, 4 bar would be good to 45psi of boost. More on topic though: Megasquirt is awesome for the do-it-yourselfer, and the new versions are very very awesome.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How does the 4 bar map sensor have it's advantages in a non-boosted setup? You just lose resolution in your map. Stick with the 1.5 bar unless boosted. Even if you are boosted, 4 bar would be good to 45psi of boost. More on topic though: Megasquirt is awesome for the do-it-yourselfer, and the new versions are very very awesome.
It is going to be boosted, and the extras have nitrous and boost control, I will let everyone know how it goes

·
Registered
226 Posts
you should really go check out the forum, turbobikes.org or psychobike. there are a ton of people there as well that build some insane machines, and they dont mind helping at all. i was going to go down the micro/mega squirt road myself with my build, but i figured i would try something different because i allready had the pc3 and the ignition mod. i have been running the split second aic now for over a year and have loved it. easy to tune, very reliable and relitively inexpensive. just my 2 cents though. good luck with the build

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I'd like to hear about your experience Floosh, please post updates if you don't mind sharing.

The new Megasquirt 3 is kickass, I'm thinking of trying to switch. It has full fuel and ignition control, onboard datalogging, and boost control. I could take off my race ECU, secondary injector controller, boost controller, and have more tuning resolution and flexibility. All for $540. Supposedly the MS3 can work with the stock crank, cam, and water temp sensors, although I haven't seen it done yet.

good luck,
Dean

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'd like to hear about your experience Floosh, please post updates if you don't mind sharing.

The new Megasquirt 3 is kickass, I'm thinking of trying to switch. It has full fuel and ignition control, onboard datalogging, and boost control. I could take off my race ECU, secondary injector controller, boost controller, and have more tuning resolution and flexibility. All for $540. Supposedly the MS3 can work with the stock crank, cam, and water temp sensors, although I haven't seen it done yet.

good luck,
Dean
Dean,

As soon as I have some time off of work, I will write up a great thread going through all of my experiences. Only trouble is, I never have time off.

Goal 1 is just to get the bike to start on MS3 and go from there, I actually wanted to us the new microsquirt sequencer, but ti is not currently available.

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
subscribed. I was looking at megasquirt way back in the day for my project car. I have heard that their systems have just gotten better since then. Good stuff :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,818 Posts
Has anyone used one of these on any bike? More specifically a 3rd generation ZX10 ?

I am not a huge fan of the available ECU options, the Kawasaki race ecu allows timing changes, but apparently you can not control fuel with it very well, and to tune it you need a ~600.00 $$ cable...

Any feedback would be well appreciated :)
I gotta ask...what's the deal with a 600 dollar cable? That hurts my brain. I am surprised that someone hasn't replicated the thing by now. I mean how hard could it be? :dontknow:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I gotta ask...what's the deal with a 600 dollar cable? That hurts my brain. I am surprised that someone hasn't replicated the thing by now. I mean how hard could it be? :dontknow:
I wish I could answer that, apparently it is that expensive for the cable that goes from race ecu to computer... :(

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Yep, I scoured the internet looking for another option to program the race ECU. No dice. I paid $225 for the race ECU, $45 for the patch harness, and $599 for the programming cable. Luckily there is a market for used cables, so I should be able to sell it when/if I switch.

The race ECU fuel control is like a PC, 30% up or down. Ignition timing allows 10 degrees advance, 5 degrees retard. Gear-based, adjustable ignition kill for quick/air shifter. Rev limit increase by 1200 rpm for 06-07.

The beauty of the race ECU is it's plug-and-play. The MS3 will take some troubleshooting to get going. Steep learning curve I hear. But lots of support out there.

Anyway, hope it works smoothly for you Floosh, and you'd be doing me (and a few others I bet) a huge favor by documenting the process a little. I know of one other guy in the process of installing MS3 on a Kawasaki ZX14, I can get you his contact info if you want to consult. He land speed races and has been over 200 in the standing mile with no bodywork, a little spray on a stroker motor. Nice guy, thinks outside the box.

Dean

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, in order to stay sane, i bought a second main harness in hopes of not having to bastardized my OEM one.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I have my mega squirt, when I am back home off of work, I will post pictures of the build, might be some time in january :-/

·
Still here
9,059 Posts
They may have a peice of hardware in the cable with some software in it that makes it not so easy to replicate??

Not sure but I've seen cables like that for other things.
Maybe someone like Guhl could do it if that is the case, but maybe there is a reason that they don't.:dontknow:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts