Fallen rider - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 02-02-2015, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Fallen rider

Driving home from work today watching my light turn green and not paying attention to the northbound lane when I all of a sudden big cloud of smoke and a older escalade sideways in the middle of northbound 29 in Napa. About 20 feet is its front fender with a rider laying face down... I pull to the shoulder and run across the street to help. The fuckers stayed in their car and didn't even bother to go check on the downed rider. Someone jumped the median and blocked the road.

The rider was in shock, out of it but heavily breathing. Full gear on. I can tell he was bleeding from his nose and mouth. Foot dangling by the ankle even though he had SMX boots on.. It was fractured bad. EMS arrive and they start by getting his helmet off. They're sitting there looking for the strap and shaking his neck left and right... I'm like wtf ?? So I tell the EMS guy there is an emergency release tab just pull it.. Doesn't listen to me and proceeds to cut the stap and wiggle his helmet off. Cut off all his gear. Guy asks me to helm get his shoes off while he stabilizes his foot. I almost passed out at what I saw.. OMG.. The shoes didn't do shit to protect this dude. He started to wake up and was crying and screaming of pain and he passes out. Few minutes later local police, chp, and fire arrived at the scene and ask me to leave.

Wow.. His bike was in pieces I kid you not. Made me realize how fragile we are on two wheels against cagers. You guys who still ride on the street, please be safe. This dude got lucky this time and will live.

I can't believe emts don't get training on how to remove a downed motorcyclist helmet. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by scout View Post
So, I get a plus one for at least CHECKING the oil???!!!

oh, I did have to add distilled water to the reservoir as it was empty. Thought that odd as it was over full mark when brand new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2015, 04:31 AM
Chairman of the Board

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thoughts and prayers sent. I hope the guy makes a full recovery.

Im not sure of the training that EMTs get as far as helmet removal goes. Honestly I don't know if that training is federally regulated or done by the state or even counties. I think it would be great if we had some serious social media guys here that might mount an awareness campaign of some sort just to raise the level of understanding about this.

post #3 of 6 Old 03-02-2015, 08:57 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Skype™ to slimzx10ra
So, not that you knew the guy but, since you helped at the scene did you bother going to see him at the hospital and see if he was still alive and recovering? what would we need to do to help bring awareness to 1st responders and how to treat riders and helmet removal, I know in my area after my bike crash, they knew NOT to remove it, so it stayed on until after x-rays were done..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 05-21-2015, 05:29 PM
Kawasaki Whisperer

Posting Frequency

Send a message via MSN to MrMoto73
Good to hear no fatality in that. Especially getting hit by an Escalade. Can't believe they just sat in there cage without helping at all....typical these days I suppose. Hopefully that guy will recover quickly. Thats going to be a tough injury to heal from. Lots of physical therapy to walk again on that ankle.

As for the helmet thing the EMT's shouldn't have even tried removing it if he was unconscious unless it was impairing his airway in some way. Even if conscious they should have left it on until an xray or MRI. (Unless the rider decides to remove it) For getting clothes and gear off though they do just cut through it even if it does come off quickly. That is how they are trained so they can quickly see any hidden injuries.

I DON"T HAZ ANY SNYDER PROBLEMS
post #5 of 6 Old 05-21-2015, 06:04 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

This brings up a good point. EMTs and Fire departments need to have a small class on motorcycle gear removal. The latches and things on boots can get confusing to someone with no experience. Boots are tuff and tight, im not sure they could even cut them off if needed. Helmets are also tight or should be a little, but removing them can do alot of damage to in injured neck.

Maybe they actually do now, but when i was taking classes they did not.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-21-2015, 07:25 PM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

The guy that hit him was in shock, too. Huge ripple effect with a longevity range depending upon the individual.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in