Yamaha R1 monobloc calipers for ZX10r - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 Old 01-26-2008, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to realestateguy
Yamaha R1 monobloc calipers for ZX10r

I want to install a set of Yamaha R1 monobloc calipers on my ZX10r and want to know when Yamaha went to the current caliper on the R1. I was told the 2006 would bolt on with its standard 108mm mounting bolt pattern. So for you R1 experts, when did the current R1 caliper start being used on the R1's?

Bruce aka realestateguy

Let's talk about any real estate needs you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 01-26-2008, 02:18 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

2004 was the first year for the R1 radial calipers. R6 are also the same. They started in 2005.
post #3 of 23 Old 01-26-2008, 02:20 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The 2004 to 2006 R1's will fit although a spacer is required to fit it to the ZX10R rotors.

Those R1 monobloc brakes are very good. My R1 trackbike's brakes with performance friction pads and Goodridge superbike lines are incredibly good. After repeatedly hauling my bike down from 180mph at the end of the straights at Seattle Raceways, braking was always fade-free, and consistent.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 01-26-2008, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the information guys. I would like to know how long the required spacer is to adapt the R1 calipers to the ZX10r rotors. I am assuming you are talking about the OEM rotors. I'm running Brake Tech Axis 310mm iron rotors with a Brembo master cylinder and stainless steel superbike lines with their XRAC racing pads. Feel is great, however, Brake Tech says half their brake issues is with 4 piston 4 pad calipers and I want to try the Yamaha calipers believing they are 4 piston 2 pad units. Please advise.

If I don't go with the Yamaha calipers, I'm going to consider the Brembo cast monoblock calipers - very expensive option.

Bruce aka realestateguy

post #5 of 23 Old 01-26-2008, 03:40 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

For what I've read The ZX-14 rotors bolt up with R1 calipers. I believe they are 310mm also. You should be good to go without the spacers with your rotor set-up.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-26-2008, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Do you guys happen to know if the Yamaha R1 monobloc calipes are two pads or four per caliper?

Bruce aka realestateguy

post #7 of 23 Old 01-26-2008, 04:38 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The R1 monobloc's are 4 piston 2 pads per caliper.

On my ZX-10R, my streetbike, I have the Brembo HP calipers and master cylinder along with Braking wave rotors, and absolutely love them. Not only is the braking power astounding, the feedback and control is just on a whole different level. If you were to compare them to say, a Ducati 1098's brakes, the HP's offer just as much stopping power, but with a lot more control. I found the 1098's forged monoblock Brembos to be very hard to modulate as they were extremely sensitive and powerful without offering the same level of feel.

The Brembo race billet monoblocks are even better for race applications with their Ti pistons, and more rigid one piece construction. I doubt for a street rider or even a seriously fast trackday rider would be able to reap significant benefits between the two.

Pic of the Brembos:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx-10r.jpg
Views:	847
Size:	152.6 KB
ID:	57320  

Last edited by Rspec99; 01-26-2008 at 04:43 PM.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-26-2008, 05:36 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspec99 View Post
The 2004 to 2006 R1's will fit although a spacer is required to fit it to the ZX10R rotors.
you either have to fit bigger discs or mashine down the calipers. no spacers needed. there are a couple of threads on how to make this work.

Mmmm - let me have a think about that....

post #9 of 23 Old 01-27-2008, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rspec99 View Post
The R1 monobloc's are 4 piston 2 pads per caliper.

On my ZX-10R, my streetbike, I have the Brembo HP calipers and master cylinder along with Braking wave rotors, and absolutely love them. Not only is the braking power astounding, the feedback and control is just on a whole different level. If you were to compare them to say, a Ducati 1098's brakes, the HP's offer just as much stopping power, but with a lot more control. I found the 1098's forged monoblock Brembos to be very hard to modulate as they were extremely sensitive and powerful without offering the same level of feel.

The Brembo race billet monoblocks are even better for race applications with their Ti pistons, and more rigid one piece construction. I doubt for a street rider or even a seriously fast trackday rider would be able to reap significant benefits between the two.

Pic of the Brembos:
Are the HP's a one or two piece caliper? I understand makes a cast and forged one piece, with the forged unit having the Ti pistons. I'm not sure and would like to read about the current line of Brembo calipers, but the web site I went to only describes the new M4 calipers.

Very nice bike.

Bruce aka realestateguy

post #10 of 23 Old 01-27-2008, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunty-motor View Post
you either have to fit bigger discs or mashine down the calipers. no spacers needed. there are a couple of threads on how to make this work.
How big are the R1 rotors? I'm using Brake Tech Axis 310mm rotors.

Bruce aka realestateguy

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in