Why do some riders do this???? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 03-13-2010, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Why do some riders do this????

Alright, I have been riding motorcycles for about 20 years now and just the other day I saw a younger rider on a CBR600RR and he put his foot down and dragged it on the ground. Am I missing something here? I thought this was an isolated incident but then I was riding again and saw someone else do the same thing. I know Rossi and other riders stick their feet out now when initiating a turn but these kids were going about 65mph in a straight line down the freeway Can someone please enlighten this old man as to why this is done?

Custom FE/CA taillight/TechSpec/Driven D-Axis gas cap/Cox Racing/Champs frame-fork-swingarm sliders/Puig ZRacing/Titax/Woodcraft-Attack case covers/SME rear axle block sliders/Misc carbon fiber/ZG Latigo/HID's/M4 Street Slayer/BMC/XTre/EK 520 MVXZ/+4 Drive Sys/SpeedoHealer/HEL 'Stealth'-Motul RBF600-Galfer pads/KyleRacing damper/Rifleman's/Ivans b/o plates/Q3's/Motul 300v/Engine Ice/Shorai
http://www.maresohana.com/ktrsd
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 03-13-2010, 11:40 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Never figured it out in my 30 yrs of riding. About 15 yrs ago a guy I rode with quite a bit did it but I never asked why. I figured maybe to stretch his legs but didn't get the dragging part.

post #3 of 43 Old 03-13-2010, 11:45 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
I know i've seen some of the younger guys here around town do a similar thing but it's when they're switching lanes and they just kind of stretch out a leg to let the traffic behind them know which way they're fixing to go.....not sure if it's the same thing but i've still yet to understand even that?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 03-13-2010, 11:46 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

It's for riders who can't drag their knees?

"If you can't do it, chase someone who can"
post #5 of 43 Old 03-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

its a new stunt
didn't you guys know??
post #6 of 43 Old 03-13-2010, 11:55 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Was he pointing a hazard out on the street? Sometimes if there is a pothole or piece of metal or roadkill, the person in front will take his foot off the peg and point it out.

Mark
post #7 of 43 Old 03-13-2010, 11:57 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by magzx12r View Post
Was he pointing a hazard out on the street? Sometimes if there is a pothole or piece of metal or roadkill, the person in front will take his foot off the peg and point it out.
No, there wasnt any hazard o the street. He just dragged his foot on the ground. Strange to say the least

Custom FE/CA taillight/TechSpec/Driven D-Axis gas cap/Cox Racing/Champs frame-fork-swingarm sliders/Puig ZRacing/Titax/Woodcraft-Attack case covers/SME rear axle block sliders/Misc carbon fiber/ZG Latigo/HID's/M4 Street Slayer/BMC/XTre/EK 520 MVXZ/+4 Drive Sys/SpeedoHealer/HEL 'Stealth'-Motul RBF600-Galfer pads/KyleRacing damper/Rifleman's/Ivans b/o plates/Q3's/Motul 300v/Engine Ice/Shorai
http://www.maresohana.com/ktrsd
post #8 of 43 Old 03-14-2010, 12:10 AM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

I put my leg out in a race going into a turn only when I'm sweating and my leathers are binding up { sticking to my leg restricting my movement } it helps to pull the leathers up your leg so you can stick you knee out better! I thought thats why every one did it?
post #9 of 43 Old 03-14-2010, 12:15 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
Alright, I have been riding motorcycles for about 20 years now and just the other day I saw a younger rider on a CBR600RR and he put his foot down and dragged it on the ground. Am I missing something here? I thought this was an isolated incident but then I was riding again and saw someone else do the same thing. I know Rossi and other riders stick their feet out now when initiating a turn but these kids were going about 65mph in a straight line down the freeway Can someone please enlighten this old man as to why this is done?
Actually, it's very simple. It has nothing to do with young riders. The group I ride with has the youngest at 31. So thats squashed there. Its primarily done for stretching your legs. I know I do it alot, cuz at 6'6", my knees bother me with my peg set up. Its also done to clean your soles as sometimes there is debris stuck to your boots or even an oil patch, as most city riders put their foot down when they are at stoplights in front and may step on it. Its not a fashion statement. Hope it helped you.

CCS/ASRA AM #567 Suck my Laughing Gas...Haha

My track videos: Homestead, Pt.1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AestzQ9E-Kc
Homestead, 3rd personhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSvLTGUU4xI
Palm Bch Intern'tl Raceway w/ my lowside, lol:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkyehVn95pE
Joker at Daytona-Team Hammer race school w/ John Hopkins: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YpPUATErMY
Penguin Roadrace School:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLORtCY8aiI
post #10 of 43 Old 03-14-2010, 12:47 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to OOphLAMEr
Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicMavis View Post
Whats with the guys with their feet up on the passenger pegs. I have seen that many times. Looks stew-pid.
I've seen riders with their feet on the rear pegs a lot & it almost always seems to signal a wheelie. I'm guessing it helps redistribute weight to lift the front a little easier, maybe makes it smoother.

All Glory to the Hypnotoad!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in