Which way steels face for clutch swap - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old 08-12-2019, 10:36 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Which way steels face for clutch swap

Wanted to gain some input from the veterans on here about replacing the clutch. I went woth Barnetts carbon fiber friction plates and OEM steels as per kawi recommendations. After roughly 300 miles and some highways pulls i have clutch slip again. Checked cable adjustments and everything all good. Pulled the pack look at pix below. Only difference between new pack and old pack are the steels. New pack smooth side facing forward old pack sharp edge facing forward.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1565485911451_1565667292845.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	90.5 KB
ID:	423757   Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1565485942177_1565667330045.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	423759   Click image for larger version

Name:	Message_1565486043064_1565667369161.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	423761  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old 08-12-2019, 11:55 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't think it makes a difference the sharp edge vs the round edge facing in or out. Make sure to presoak the fiber plates in oil for a while before install. Make sure you have the proper stack height (should be somewhere in the manual). Make sure your oil does not have the energy conserving symbol on the container as certain oils will cause clutch slip. Hope this helps.
Boxtradamus likes this.
post #3 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 01:04 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

when you open the clutch, did you see fiber residues? if there's a lot... may have already worn down for some reason.

Check the loose travel of 2 to 3mm of the clutch lever, because when the engine is hot the cable tends to tighten and without those 2 or 3 millimeters could cause the clutch plates to slip.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 06:57 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I've never paid attention to the steels like that, usually just throw them in. I do let my fibers soak in oil for at least an hour before putting them in.

I'd check clutch lever free play like mentioned above and maybe get some heavy duty springs to keep a little more tension on the clutch.
post #5 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 10:54 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

did you replace the springs as well? that may also be the issue.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #6 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 12:33 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Are you sure it's clutch slip? are you getting it in every gear or just 1 or 2 gears? Just checking cause I mistaked worn dogs for clutch slip way back. Also, wanna say sharp edge out but can't remember, same way they came out matters from what I have heard. Last, get the OEM cork fiber plates, they work, have heard negative stuff about almost every other aftermarket fiber plate out there. maybe it changed but why risk it when the OEM plates work so well.
post #7 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prophet View Post
I don't think it makes a difference the sharp edge vs the round edge facing in or out. Make sure to presoak the fiber plates in oil for a while before install. Make sure you have the proper stack height (should be somewhere in the manual). Make sure your oil does not have the energy conserving symbol on the container as certain oils will cause clutch slip. Hope this helps.
Far as measuring honestly i compared it side by side with the old pack very minor difference. The oil is 10w40 amsoil metric
post #8 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique Leib View Post
when you open the clutch, did you see fiber residues? if there's a lot... may have already worn down for some reason.

Check the loose travel of 2 to 3mm of the clutch lever, because when the engine is hot the cable tends to tighten and without those 2 or 3 millimeters could cause the clutch plates to slip.
when I got home after my third day riding noticed at the clutch cover the top was super tight at that point had the clutch slip and pulled it.. The slip isn't until higher RPMs though
post #9 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
did you replace the springs as well? that may also be the issue.
i have 3 brocks springs and 3 of the springs supplied with the friction plates barnett has them listed as stronger then stock
post #10 of 25 Old 08-13-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twistedsocal13 View Post
Are you sure it's clutch slip? are you getting it in every gear or just 1 or 2 gears? Just checking cause I mistaked worn dogs for clutch slip way back. Also, wanna say sharp edge out but can't remember, same way they came out matters from what I have heard. Last, get the OEM cork fiber plates, they work, have heard negative stuff about almost every other aftermarket fiber plate out there. maybe it changed but why risk it when the OEM plates work so well.
Was doing some highway pulls hit from 1st at 40mph shifted to second third and 4th slipped and stayed at redline. Rode home which was bout 45miles away soft pulls on throttle no slip no slip at highway speeds took 5th slowly to 135mph no slip twist the throttle slips
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in