Question for track guys: Corner Braking - Page 4 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 18Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 51 Old 11-19-2018, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nakedinseattle View Post
After reading the rest of this, I have determined the real problem. Calm down. Stop researching. Put down the internet for a bit.

If you gotta do something, go ride your bike, practice braking. The rate that you should be pulling the brake lever is this: Open you hand, then slowly make a fist at about the rate of a "one one thousand". This will help you develop muscle memory and help keep you from stabbing the brakes and crashing.

Whatever you do, just be smooth. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

Iíve out nearly, if not a thousand miles on it since Iíve gotten it. Have been riding her daily. Iíd like to think Iím decent but until the coaches tell me whatís up I donít really know.

For the most part I think Iím researched out until I get to the track and then ill figure it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 250r-sold
..05 zx6r 636- sold
99 yzf R1-traded
04 zx10r-sold
06 zx10r - Sold
19 KRT zx10r - Current

Instagram.com/10r_Rome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 51 Old 11-19-2018, 02:46 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse View Post
Iíve out nearly, if not a thousand miles on it since Iíve gotten it. Have been riding her daily. Iíd like to think Iím decent but until the coaches tell me whatís up I donít really know.

For the most part I think Iím researched out until I get to the track and then ill figure it out.

Tips to make your first TD a win (A win is packing the bike up in the same condition it was unloaded)

- Leave your ego at the gate
- Be a sponge around the coaches and experienced track riders
- Get with the tire guy or the coaches and get a suggestion on a good starting point for your tire pressures
- Did I mention to leave your ego at the gate?
- Have the most amount of fun you've ever had on your bike
- Learn more about you and your bike in one day than you did in however many thousands of street miles
Palehorse and LDH like this.
post #33 of 51 Old 11-19-2018, 03:43 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
Tips to make your first TD a win (A win is packing the bike up in the same condition it was unloaded)

- Be a sponge around the coaches and experienced track riders
- Get with the tire guy or the coaches and get a suggestion on a good starting point for your tire pressures
- Did I mention to leave your ego at the gate?
- Have the most amount of fun you've ever had on your bike
- Learn more about you and your bike in one day than you did in however many thousands of street miles
I dont ride track (yet) but this is what i also call a "good ride" or "good day". I came home alive and both me and the bike are as we were when we left the house. Even after a shitty ride i say this.

If i could add one thing, a couple people mentioned to look where you wanna go. If you can look as far ahead into turns i feel it helps with coming in too hot. Between this and starting slow and moving up, id say these are very important. Just dont go out there and try to go 110% out the gate. Listen and absorb like a sponge what the pro's are telling ya. Oh and if you dont target fixate you shouldnt have to spend time on the grass. Smoke that shit after the TD!

p.s. im always telling myself to Ride my Ride. Meaning only focus on what im doing, not riding over my head or trying to keep up.

Live Til You Die - QOTSA

We will all die but only a select few of us will ever truly live.

We all will feed the worms and tree's so dont be shy
- QOTSA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #34 of 51 Old 11-20-2018, 08:40 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
One thing that wasn't mentioned yet. On your "first" track day you will be in a novice class. This means you will typically start your day in a classroom. You will follow a coach the first couple sessions at a slow pace to learn track, lines, ref markers, etc.. You will be starting out slow no matter what. Then once they release you slowly up your pace! Best tip I can give is don't enter corners directly behind other riders. The slower riders will brake VERY early and could be a disaster. Give yourself an open lane on corner entry!

Also, once they release you don't go WFO. The speed you will be used to behind a coach is alot slower then what you will be used to if you hammer down your first opportunity. Track days pay nothing! So like others have said, take your time building pace, look as far ahead as possible, and of course have fun!

You will not be the fastest guy there! No one cares how fast or slow you are so take the time learning the track and getting technique consistent.

After this, next issue is a 2nd job to pay for tires, track time, parts, tires, and track time!
Palehorse likes this.
post #35 of 51 Old 11-20-2018, 09:07 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palehorse View Post

Yea, Iím pretty familiar with tire pressures and such. Currently I have it set to 36 psi front and 40 rear.

Holy bloody f***, that's not even close. You really need to talk to some expert level riders. If you are using the michelin 2CT's shown in your photos, you should be at 27 rear (cold) and 29 front (cold), these will warm up to 29-30 and 30-32 respectively. Add air to the front if you feel like it's understeering in corners, but god damn 40 PSI is riding on a cue ball.

DO NOT go by manufacturers recommended ratings, those are for street riding with a passenger considered.
post #36 of 51 Old 11-20-2018, 09:18 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneepucker View Post
Holy bloody f***, that's not even close. You really need to talk to some expert level riders. If you are using the michelin 2CT's shown in your photos, you should be at 27 rear (cold) and 29 front (cold), these will warm up to 29-30 and 30-32 respectively. Add air to the front if you feel like it's understeering in corners, but god damn 40 PSI is riding on a cue ball.

DO NOT go by manufacturers recommended ratings, those are for street riding with a passenger considered.

I ride on the street and this is my first setting. I havenít had the 10r long and will likely be changing them to see what feels the best. This wonít be my settings for the track.

08 250r-sold
..05 zx6r 636- sold
99 yzf R1-traded
04 zx10r-sold
06 zx10r - Sold
19 KRT zx10r - Current

Instagram.com/10r_Rome
post #37 of 51 Old 11-20-2018, 09:22 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
One thing that wasn't mentioned yet. On your "first" track day you will be in a novice class. This means you will typically start your day in a classroom. You will follow a coach the first couple sessions at a slow pace to learn track, lines, ref markers, etc.. You will be starting out slow no matter what. Then once they release you slowly up your pace! Best tip I can give is don't enter corners directly behind other riders. The slower riders will brake VERY early and could be a disaster. Give yourself an open lane on corner entry!

Also, once they release you don't go WFO. The speed you will be used to behind a coach is alot slower then what you will be used to if you hammer down your first opportunity. Track days pay nothing! So like others have said, take your time building pace, look as far ahead as possible, and of course have fun!

You will not be the fastest guy there! No one cares how fast or slow you are so take the time learning the track and getting technique consistent.

After this, next issue is a 2nd job to pay for tires, track time, parts, tires, and track time!

To be honest Iím not even going into it trying to be the fastest guy. I know Iíll be slow compared to vets on a 250 or 300. My goal is to learn the fundamentals, have fun and drool over the knee dragging pics I hope Iíll be able to achieve on day 1.

wheelz96 likes this.

08 250r-sold
..05 zx6r 636- sold
99 yzf R1-traded
04 zx10r-sold
06 zx10r - Sold
19 KRT zx10r - Current

Instagram.com/10r_Rome
post #38 of 51 Old 11-20-2018, 10:38 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
have fun and drool over the knee dragging pics I hope Iíll be able to achieve on day 1.
Dragging a knee is so 80's, it's all about dragging elbows now!
Palehorse and michael4012 like this.
post #39 of 51 Old 11-21-2018, 03:07 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
listen to the first 12 podcasts:
https://soundcloud.com/user-96229025...ching-podcasts

read

read

read

watch

Few important tips for your first trackday:
get tire pressure right. Probably something like 29 rear / 31 front cold for most street tires (should see 3-4psi increase when you check immediately after pulling off track). See your local track tire vendor for correct cold temps that day.
after your first session, pay the local vendor $30-50 bucks for suspension setup (for the weekend if you want!)
get instruction, its free from the trackday provider and will have the most significant impact on your riding
don't throttle into turns. Don't throttle through turns. Generally brake to slowest part of corner, and gas away. If you overslow, do not add throttle, this is the easiest way to tuck the front.
do not add lean angle and throttle at the same time.
eyes up, scan. The further ahead you look the more information you have to stay calm. Don't get too far ahead and lose track of where you are. Look where you want to go, not at what you need to avoid (look through other riders, look toward the exit of the turn, etc)
stay loose, be smooth. you should be able to remove your inside hand from the bars while cornering.
Don't get upset when a kid on a 300 or 250 smokes you.
Don't panic brake. You can brake INTO a corner as long as you never let go of the brake lever. Do NOT "grab" the brake lever. DO NOT GRAB. Smoothly and gently apply brakes and you will be able to use them whenever you need to.
be safe, have fun, don't ride above your head.
Palehorse likes this.

AFM #705 | youtube | instagram | facebook

Please give some love to my 2019 Sponsors!
Daredevil Motorsports | Amsoil | SPY Optic | GoPro
post #40 of 51 Old 11-21-2018, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bottoms-Up View Post
Dragging a knee is so 80's, it's all about dragging elbows now!

Baby steps lol

08 250r-sold
..05 zx6r 636- sold
99 yzf R1-traded
04 zx10r-sold
06 zx10r - Sold
19 KRT zx10r - Current

Instagram.com/10r_Rome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in