Neonmarine likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 51 Old 11-18-2018, 07:31 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
You should be gradually working up to speed, especially in unfamiliar conditions, so that you simply don't enter corners at a speed that is grossly beyond what you or your bike can do. Overcooking the entrance or misjudging a line happens many times; part of finding out how much you can do involves finding out what's too much.
Lately, I have seen a lot of offs across different organizations because people haven't followed this approach.

To the OP there is some good advice given in this thread. Also, scout has brought up a good point as well. Get some books, Youtube, Ken Hill, Life at Lean, Motovudu and others all provide great information.

For me the more I ride track days, the more I understand the topics and can apply what I hear and read to the topic.

A good example is what was mentioned above entry to apex, apex to exit. Understanding the difference in corners and the techniques to apply to each corner is huge. When I started I just sent it, so to speak. In time I realized to get better I had to change and learn the techniques.

Showing interest is great, but I think you have to do several track days to start to understand what you don't know.
Neonmarine likes this.

2011 ZX10R
2012 FZ6R
2012 TU250X
2013 ZX6R
2017 GSX-R1000R
post #23 of 51 Old 11-18-2018, 12:19 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by realpsi View Post
Lately, I have seen a lot of offs across different organizations because people haven't followed this approach.

To the OP there is some good advice given in this thread. Also, scout has brought up a good point as well. Get some books, Youtube, Ken Hill, Life at Lean, Motovudu and others all provide great information.

For me the more I ride track days, the more I understand the topics and can apply what I hear and read to the topic.

A good example is what was mentioned above entry to apex, apex to exit. Understanding the difference in corners and the techniques to apply to each corner is huge. When I started I just sent it, so to speak. In time I realized to get better I had to change and learn the techniques.

Showing interest is great, but I think you have to do several track days to start to understand what you don't know.

Iíve been researching like no other. Thatís what brought the initial question to mind. I understand though that as much research I do, once I get to the track it wonít matter much at all.

Instead of going all the way out to chuckwalla for the first day. I may just stay local and go to AMP (Arizona Motorsports Park) early next year.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

08 250r-sold
..05 zx6r 636- sold
99 yzf R1-traded
04 zx10r-sold
06 zx10r - Sold
19 KRT zx10r - Current

Instagram.com/10r_Rome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 51 Old 11-18-2018, 12:40 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Go out in the local, deserted canyons and learn all these techniques. All of the track riding techniques apply in any good corner. I have plenty of places near my house to practice. Very few cars and very good roads. Mulholland was just newly paved a few weeks ago. It is a shame the place burned down last week. Have not been able to enter the local canyons due to the fires and people losing their homes.
post #25 of 51 Old 11-18-2018, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Prophet View Post
Go out in the local, deserted canyons and learn all these techniques. All of the track riding techniques apply in any good corner. I have plenty of places near my house to practice. Very few cars and very good roads. Mulholland was just newly paved a few weeks ago. It is a shame the place burned down last week. Have not been able to enter the local canyons due to the fires and people losing their homes.

Making plans with a couple buddies to ride through tortilla flats. Itís a very popular run and is really close to my house. It has been freshly paved as well. Just lacking the proper gear at the moment.

08 250r-sold
..05 zx6r 636- sold
99 yzf R1-traded
04 zx10r-sold
06 zx10r - Sold
19 KRT zx10r - Current

Instagram.com/10r_Rome
post #26 of 51 Old 11-19-2018, 12:54 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

After reading the rest of this, I have determined the real problem. Calm down. Stop researching. Put down the internet for a bit.

If you gotta do something, go ride your bike, practice braking. The rate that you should be pulling the brake lever is this: Open you hand, then slowly make a fist at about the rate of a "one one thousand". This will help you develop muscle memory and help keep you from stabbing the brakes and crashing.

Whatever you do, just be smooth. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
Palehorse likes this.

Shut up and ride.

Nun sacciu, nun vidi, nun ceru e si ceru durmiv
post #27 of 51 Old 11-19-2018, 01:16 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Otto Man
YCRS, 100 points of grip - google it, it'll change your outlook on trail braking forever.

And your front tire is mounted backwards (or your rim is, and the tire is actually mounted correctly on the rim...)
Palehorse likes this.
post #28 of 51 Old 11-19-2018, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otto Man View Post
YCRS, 100 points of grip - google it, it'll change your outlook on trail braking forever.

And your front tire is mounted backwards (or your rim is, and the tire is actually mounted correctly on the rim...)

it was backwards. Had it flipped this past weekend and tended to my chain and tire pressures.

08 250r-sold
..05 zx6r 636- sold
99 yzf R1-traded
04 zx10r-sold
06 zx10r - Sold
19 KRT zx10r - Current

Instagram.com/10r_Rome
post #29 of 51 Old 11-19-2018, 01:24 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

Palehorse, one other thing I would suggest to new trackday rider (who doesn't typically use tire warmers) is to run your tires a couple of pounds low, it'll help generate more heat in them and increase grip and feel. Not crazy low, just maybe a few lbs in each; then check them again as soon as you come in from a session, as they will have picked a couple of pounds back up from the increased temps (unless you are running nitrogen).
post #30 of 51 Old 11-19-2018, 01:44 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by kneepucker View Post
Palehorse, one other thing I would suggest to new trackday rider (who doesn't typically use tire warmers) is to run your tires a couple of pounds low, it'll help generate more heat in them and increase grip and feel. Not crazy low, just maybe a few lbs in each; then check them again as soon as you come in from a session, as they will have picked a couple of pounds back up from the increased temps (unless you are running nitrogen).

Good god I wish I could change my name...awkward...

Yea, Iím pretty familiar with tire pressures and such. Currently I have it set to 36 psi front and 40 rear.

Something Iím not versed on is suspension tuning. Im sure thereís. Shop around here that can get my preload and damping set for my weight and such. Iíll get it sorted

08 250r-sold
..05 zx6r 636- sold
99 yzf R1-traded
04 zx10r-sold
06 zx10r - Sold
19 KRT zx10r - Current

Instagram.com/10r_Rome
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in