Gen 3: 2008-2010 Major smoke and burning plastic - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Exclamation Major smoke and burning plastic

Hey I have a 2010 ZX-10R, The snow finally melted up here in Wisco so I took my bike out for a short 2 mile ride just to get the cobwebs off. On my way back home I noticed a higher pitched "whine" when I throttle. Didn't redline or anything as I was on residential streets (sub 35mph) and only got up to 2nd gear. About 20 seconds later as I'm pulling into my garage I notice THICC white smoke emanating from the area in between where the battery and the tank meet. Smelled like burning plastic, I hit to engine cutoff, ran in the house and grabbed a bucket of water and it eventually stopped smoking. I have no idea what's going on, I do not perform maintenance myself. The only thing I've done since last year was remove and maintain my battery for the winter months, which I put back in last week and started it up in the garage to make sure everything was legit. I let it run for like 3-4 minutes and everything was fine. Today was my first ride of the year. I'm waiting for it to cool off to take the seat off but I'm hesitant to take off the seat as i'm trying not to get exploded. Bike only has 2k on it and never had have had any issues with it. I have no idea what's happening. Wish I would have found this forum back when I bought it. Any idea?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 01:54 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Sounds like a short somewhere. Did you hook battery up correctly? Do you have any other wires besides neg and pos cables going to battery? Remove seat and see where melted plastic came from which should give you a good idea of where your issue is. Keep switch in OFF position and remove key. Do not run bike until you dig deeper and find your issue!
post #3 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 02:18 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
Sounds like a short somewhere. Did you hook battery up correctly? Do you have any other wires besides neg and pos cables going to battery? Remove seat and see where melted plastic came from which should give you a good idea of where your issue is. Keep switch in OFF position and remove key. Do not run bike until you dig deeper and find your issue!
As he says, but if you had started after fitting the battery with no problems but did not ride it and then when you had rode it for a while it tried to burn your arse i think that you got some wires trapped when fitting the seat back, possible even left tools in there maybe.
wheelz96 likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 02:30 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
Ok it's been a few hours so im going to take the seat off and check it out
post #5 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Checking now...
post #6 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
As he says, but if you had started after fitting the battery with no problems but did not ride it and then when you had rode it for a while it tried to burn your arse i think that you got some wires trapped when fitting the seat back, possible even left tools in there maybe.
Ok removed seat and battery, could not see anything amiss nor any wires crossed, I ltterally only touched the battery cables when I put it back in a few weeks ago. Didn't see any pinned wires. it appears the smoke was coming from in between the battery and the end of the tank, like in between that area where the battery compartment ends and the engine begins. Doesn't look like any of the wires are melted or burnt.
post #7 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 03:01 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Where is the melted plastic? You sure it's coming from battery compartment? Is it something else touching exhaust somewhere?
post #8 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 03:11 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You got to remove the fuel tank then & if you still cant see anything then the airbox
post #9 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Thats the thing, i cant find ANY melted plastic or any burns. It was definitely the unmistakable smell of burning plastics.
post #10 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 03:19 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael4012 View Post
You got to remove the fuel tank then & if you still cant see anything then the airbox
That's definitely above my pay grade... I watched a guy take my R1 apart for a 10k tuneup once but I'm mechanically inept when it comes to that sort of thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in