Gen 3: 2008-2010 Major smoke and burning plastic - Page 2 - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 03:25 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Tank is easy man. Remove bolt at rear and two more in the front LH and RH side. Not sure if side plastics need removed on your gen. Once bolts removed gently lift up and hoses and fuel lines will be easy to disconnect. Minimum tools required. Look under your seat for burn marks also. That smell and smoke came from somewhere! Like Michael said, you will need to remove a few more pieces to see everything. Trust yourself, very easy job to remove tank!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 13 Old 04-29-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelz96 View Post
Tank is easy man. Remove bolt at rear and two more in the front LH and RH side. Not sure if side plastics need removed on your gen. Once bolts removed gently lift up and hoses and fuel lines will be easy to disconnect. Minimum tools required. Look under your seat for burn marks also. That smell and smoke came from somewhere! Like Michael said, you will need to remove a few more pieces to see everything. Trust yourself, very easy job to remove tank!
Thanks for the positive reinforcement! I'm going to attempt what you advised but I've never taken a tank off before, mainly just light chain maintenance and battery removal/replacement. I wish I was more mechanically inclined but kids and work take up all my free time lol.
wheelz96 likes this.
post #13 of 13 Old 05-02-2019, 02:21 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budz View Post
Thats the thing, i cant find ANY melted plastic or any burns. It was definitely the unmistakable smell of burning plastics.
you know that synthetic oil burning can smell a whole lot like plastic burning. could be the air filter managed to collect oil and then it dumped into the head through the drain and got really hot really quick. thing is if it is white smoke that is usually steam so idk without seeing it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in