2014 zx10r wheelie control question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

2014 zx10r wheelie control question

Hi guys,

Going to buy a 2014 zx10r in the next week, just curious about wheelie control and TC.

Can someone explain to me exactly how the wheelie control works? I've had my wheelie days and not keen on losing my license again, it's been 9yrs since i had any fines. Don't get me wrong, i ride my bikes fairly hard but just prefer redlining and twistys over wheelies.

Say if you pin it in 1st gear from down low, wht rpm's does the front end lift up at? and will the wheelie control stop it seeing the skye and bring it down gently or have i heard wrong? Also can you pin 2nd gear to redline without the front coming up if you are leaning right over the tank?I'm guessing the higher the TC setting the more it cuts in on the wheelies? Or i could be wrong..I'm asking this because im coming from 10 yrs of riding 600's, and they don't power wheelie without a bit of help with WOT jerk.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 07:04 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The only wheelie control I know of is in your wrist, From my experience so far with the Gen 4 is that it will not power wheelie in any of the 3 levels of TC. I've had it in level 1 and it kicks in as soon as you snap the throttle back. For me to power wheelie this bike I have to take TC off, also I have -2 front.

82 GS450L- Bobber Project
06 636- Sold
07 R1- Lost
08 zx10r- Lost
09 zx10r- Totaled 8/3/14
07 cbr600rr- Track - Sold
12 EX250r- Womans - Kissed a guardrail
13 zx10r- Old street - Sold
14 SSR Lifan 180cc Pit Bike- Fun machine
15 zx10r- New street

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery. But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes: If you fuck with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders

post #3 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 07:09 AM
Formerly "bms"

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck_zx View Post
Hi guys,

Going to buy a 2014 zx10r in the next week, just curious about wheelie control and TC.

Can someone explain to me exactly how the wheelie control works? I've had my wheelie days and not keen on losing my license again, it's been 9yrs since i had any fines. Don't get me wrong, i ride my bikes fairly hard but just prefer redlining and twistys over wheelies.

Say if you pin it in 1st gear from down low, wht rpm's does the front end lift up at? and will the wheelie control stop it seeing the skye and bring it down gently or have i heard wrong? Also can you pin 2nd gear to redline without the front coming up if you are leaning right over the tank?I'm guessing the higher the TC setting the more it cuts in on the wheelies? Or i could be wrong..I'm asking this because im coming from 10 yrs of riding 600's, and they don't power wheelie without a bit of help with WOT jerk.

Cheers
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsTf3HLCGl4

Example of wheelie control maybe? Can't really tell.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 07:29 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Oh, they wheelie...

1st gear TC on 1 Power on max ~80kph

2nd gear TC on 1 Power on max ~130kph

4th gear TC on 1 power on max ~240kph

Wheelie and TC is determined by comparison between front and rear wheel sensors....

As the front wheel lifts its starts to slow down, the bike detects it and tries to slow the rear to bring it back down. Enough throttle, and inertia will overcome TC, and it is possible to flip one if you put in the effort.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 08:08 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboR1 View Post
As the front wheel lifts its starts to slow down, the bike detects it and tries to slow the rear to bring it back down. Enough throttle, and inertia will overcome TC, and it is possible to flip one if you put in the effort.
Haha, thanks for the input.

Im sure its not going to flip in mode 1 judging by the mechanics behind it...maybe if you yank it up and double jerk the throttle enough..

But under normal throttle pinning conditions with decent throttle control it shouldn't flip even on full power i assume..i've recently seen some guys on youtube pinning it in all gears at high revs and seems like it will get 20-30 degrees or so then start to come down. If it didnt the TC would not get half as much praise as it does i guess.

Oh well, its not like im going to be doing anything silly or trying to make it see 12 oclock.

Thanks for the info guys :)
post #6 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 08:27 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
The G4 does not have wheelie control. Period. The TC system works by measuring the difference in front/rear wheel speeds. If you can get the front up fast enough where the front wheel doesn't slow down enough compared to the rear wheel, you can flip the bike over without intervention from the TC. In practice, the TC will limit the front coming up because the front wheel will usually slow down soon enough.

But you must remember this while riding it. There is no launch control or wheelie control specific to this system other than how much you open the throttle with your wrist.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
The G4 does not have wheelie control. Period. The TC system works by measuring the difference in front/rear wheel speeds. If you can get the front up fast enough where the front wheel doesn't slow down enough compared to the rear wheel, you can flip the bike over without intervention from the TC. In practice, the TC will limit the front coming up because the front wheel will usually slow down soon enough.

But you must remember this while riding it. There is no launch control or wheelie control specific to this system other than how much you open the throttle with your wrist.
Thanks for the reply, yeah i understand its not actually designed as wheelie control, but the front wheel moving slower being off the ground will trigger it etc.

I'm curious tho, in what situation would u be where the front wheel wouldnt slow down once lifted from the ground, it makes sense that it would slow down 90% of the time.

Here's the short clip i was watching, im sure you can try open the throttle much more violently, but under normal circumstances and giving it some gas it seems like it works quite well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnSsFUomCyE
post #8 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 08:54 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1ck_zx View Post
Thanks for the reply, yeah i understand its not actually designed as wheelie control, but the front wheel moving slower being off the ground will trigger it etc.

I'm curious tho, in what situation would u be where the front wheel wouldnt slow down once lifted from the ground, it makes sense that it would slow down 90% of the time.

Here's the short clip i was watching, im sure you can try open the throttle much more violently, but under normal circumstances and giving it some gas it seems like it works quite well

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnSsFUomCyE
Yeah, that's not really a good test showing it. All he's doing is opening and closing the throttle rapidly. There are instances, especially in the low gears, and especially if the bike is re-geared lower where it's possible to get the front up quicker than it will slow down from being in the air. Mis-shifting with the clutch is another example. Too much throttle with an abrupt clutch engage can do it too.

The biggest thing about this system (as turboR1 already stated above) is the system is not designed for that function. Therefore, it is unreliable while preventing it. No two wheelies will be the same. Sometimes the conditions will allow the front to come up real high, and others will barely get it off the ground because of the TC. So just make sure you know that it can and usually will help, but shouldn't be relied upon to save you from looping it each and every time.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #9 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Yeah, that's not really a good test showing it. All he's doing is opening and closing the throttle rapidly. There are instances, especially in the low gears, and especially if the bike is re-geared lower where it's possible to get the front up quicker than it will slow down from being in the air. Mis-shifting with the clutch is another example. Too much throttle with an abrupt clutch engage can do it too.

The biggest thing about this system (as turboR1 already stated above) is the system is not designed for that function. Therefore, it is unreliable while preventing it. No two wheelies will be the same. Sometimes the conditions will allow the front to come up real high, and others will barely get it off the ground because of the TC. So just make sure you know that it can and usually will help, but shouldn't be relied upon to save you from looping it each and every time.
Thanks SD, good information.

As you said i would never rely on it fully, it's just nice to know you wont loop it unless you're being silly in 1st gear or clutch it with a shitload of rpm's accidentally during a change/miss-change.

On most litre bikes i've ridden i usually shift out of 1st at around 10k with a decently controlled roll on, and even if it gets the front a little up in 2nd WOT it wont flip on me as long as im tucked over the tank.

These things really can bite you a bit harder than the 600's can't they
post #10 of 16 Old 12-04-2014, 09:07 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

10k rpm? You're missing all the fun.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in