What would you do if you bought a bad head? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 12:21 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

What would you do if you bought a bad head?

Check it out I bought a ported head from a member it was really cheap ($250), it was supposed to have came off a running motor and was supposedly ready to bolt on. This was back in feb or march it has been awhile, but I had other projects going and working 2 jobs I didn't have to time to put my bike back together. Long story short I get ready to get my bike going and I decide to send the head to my machinist to check spring pressure since I'm gonna spray the bike. Turns out this head has 6 bad valves (grooved where the valve meets the seat) and the seats are rough. There's more but the this should be good enough for debate, it is now late june/july. The seller has not totally ignored me but hasn't been too helpful on correcting the situation either. Now I did just get some pics to the seller last week but haven't heard anything since. What would you do in this situation, what should the seller be liable for? Should I be stuck out? I haven't made any demands or requests yet cause I was trying to give the seller chance to "make it right", but I've been getting the silent treatment on that one. Please feel free to ask any questions I have nothing to hide here.

Andrews Motorsports
2009 ZX10R aka "The General"
2008 ZX14R coming soon!

Paypal [email protected]

Last edited by mrbzx7; 07-27-2012 at 12:22 AM. Reason: typo in title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 01:22 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Man, i feel your pain but a cylinder head for $250.00 is super cheap and anyways if your doing a top-end refresh or rebuild then it is wise to just send the cylinder head off to a reputable cylinder head shop and get a complete Race CNC Valve job on it for about $350.00... Get with Garth on this website he had a company that did his 2011 cylinder head and they do very very good CNC Race Valve jobs. Thats all you need then you will be ready to bolt up !!!! Valve jobs really only takes about a day or two depending if they are swamped with other work or projects.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRECKSHOP View Post
Man, i feel your pain but a cylinder head for $250.00 is super cheap and anyways if your doing a top-end refresh or rebuild then it is wise to just send the cylinder head off to a reputable cylinder head shop and get a complete Race CNC Valve job on it for about $350.00... Get with Garth on this website he had a company that did his 2011 cylinder head and they do very very good CNC Race Valve jobs. Thats all you need then you will be ready to bolt up !!!! Valve jobs really only takes about a day or two depending if they are swamped with other work or projects.
It doesn't just need a valve job it needs 6 valves also, and like I say it was bought under the impression that it was ready to go. Not $250 "as is" or "needs work". The motor/bike is back together and running now, with the original head. Thanks for the input!!!

Andrews Motorsports
2008 ZX14R coming soon!

Paypal [email protected]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 04:15 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I think you're stuck, the seller could argue that you have had that head in your possession for this long, who knows what has happened to it.

Or the seller might have thought the head was 100% working, but a shop could have played switcharoo with his good head and gave him a busted one.

I don't buy motor parts I expect to work unless tested or I see them working

post #5 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 09:45 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbzx7 View Post
It doesn't just need a valve job it needs 6 valves also, and like I say it was bought under the impression that it was ready to go. Not $250 "as is" or "needs work". The motor/bike is back together and running now, with the original head. Thanks for the input!!!
Is this something that the seller would know by looking at it? Did you know by looking at it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #6 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 10:08 AM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Yeah, it's been too long to have the parts sitting around. If you bought it a new part from a retail shop and waited this long, I doubt they'd take it back either. No doubt that the seller could assume in this time that you've put it on your bike and effed the valves up yourself and trying to scam him out of the money. Not that that's what's happened, just sayin'. And it may not be something the seller could've known about.

It sounds like you got the head at a decent enough price and are planning to do work on it. Frankly, if I was going to that effort, I'd put 8 new valves in it with springs, and retainers just so it was 100% right.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #7 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 10:20 AM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick10 View Post
Is this something that the seller would know by looking at it? Did you know by looking at it?
A compression or a leak down test when the motor was complete, would have revealed leaky valves. Otherwise once the head was removed the only way to know is to remove the valves.

Andrews Motorsports
2008 ZX14R coming soon!

Paypal [email protected]
post #8 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 10:48 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

eh, honestly, you're on your own. it's the gamble of buying online. might as well just send it to a shop and get it done properly
post #9 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 05:58 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbzx7 View Post
A compression or a leak down test when the motor was complete, would have revealed leaky valves. Otherwise once the head was removed the only way to know is to remove the valves.
I guess those tests should have been requested or contingent on them passing. I'm pretty sure that I wouldn't have done those if I was parting out unless it was requested. Hopefully the seller is willing to work something out with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinjeR View Post
I'm glad I'm a stripper, the money keeps coming in! lol
post #10 of 10 Old 07-27-2012, 08:51 PM
Custom Powder Coater

Posting Frequency

I did the same thing bro and I know how u feel, I bought a complete motor from reputable guy, he said all was good just bolt up and ride but that was clearly not the case, after fixing several things I finally got too ride for 20 minutes only too drop a valve... Not much I can do or even feel like doing its done and over wit, I learned my lesson buying used worked motors/head... Won't do it again, and I hope whoever buys the bike/ motor he's selling now has it inspected before they pay for it....
I say just have the head rebuilt bro, I know $$$ ain't growing on trees(not for me anyhow)but sometimes it easier too just look pass the problem.... Good luck !!

www.sportbikepc.com
Sport Bike Powder Coating,LLC
Custom Powder Coating & Authorized Dealer for:
ASV Levers,Brocks Performance,Carrozzeria Wheels,Core Moto Brake Lines, EarthX Batteries,Sato Racing, SuperSprox..
PM or [email protected] for pricing..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in