Trap Speeds - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

Trap Speeds

Hey guys i have a question.
I was looking at the list of the fastest zx10s and i clearly have the lowest trap speed.

I am just wondering what is the trap speed and indicator of.. i mean, shouldnt i even running a slower et, have about the same trap speed than other 10's?
My highest trap ever was 140mph.

The past weekend at the track there were another 1st gen, a 2nd gen a couple 3rd gens, and most of the trap speeds were around 133~136mph.

Are those trap speeds too low, or it sounds about right for stock bikes?

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 10:35 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafa View Post
I was looking at the list of the fastest zx10s and i clearly have the lowest trap speed.

I am just wondering what is the trap speed and indicator of.. i mean, shouldnt i even running a slower et, have about the same trap speed than other 10's?

The past weekend at the track there were another 1st gen, a 2nd gen a couple 3rd gens, and most of the trap speeds were around 133~136mph.

I ran consistently around 136-138mph all day long with a completely stock 1st gen.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 10:54 PM Thread Starter
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

Yeah but it seems like everyone on the ZX10R Official list is running mid 140's

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-2011, 11:23 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Yeah but it seems like everyone on the ZX10R Official list is running mid 140's
I think(JMI and experience) it depends on a few factors like the elevation of your track(they may also differ in calculations for terminal speed), gearing, mods, rider weight and for me I always get the maximium rpm possible when going through the traps.

For example when I first tried drag racing on a ZX9R I could hit 135mph(full system/Jetted) so I always could get the maximum trap speed in a ¼ mile for me but ET was another thing that was at 11s

On my 1st Gen I notice nothing has changed I still get the maximum speed for my mods basically stock 10R hitting as high as 148mph and have many times hit over 30-32mph increases on the back half……also think if I ever do other mods like gearing changes I could go even higher in mph.

The main thing is what are the other bikes (same skills) with similar mods doing and if about the same I wouldn’t worry about it……as for me I found that I hit a MPH as high as any bike with similar mods or better no matter rider skill or weight depending on their gearing….now of course the BMW and NEW ZX10R have changed things to a new level when it comes to terminal speed they are monsters. ... great riders at my track modified hit as high as 155mph

Then again I raced a very modified ZX12R and beat him in bracket racing and I went as usual well over 140mph to his 135mph I believe but once we finished the 1/4 mile it was like he left me standing STILL.....meaning if we were on the street he would have spanked me BAD...food for thought.

bloo
post #5 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

Thank you Bloo
Very informative..... And yeah the other 1000s are hitting about the same trap if not lower

post #6 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 10:08 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Big MPH is typically related to big horsepower. In the case of the ZX10, rider weight and track elevation/weather also play a big factor. All things the same though, big mph = big horsepower.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 03:47 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Quote:

Last year, mine was in the same range (low 130 mph). Stock bike, stock exhaust, stock wheelbase, stock too-high ride height with 190/55 rear tire making it higher yet, no straps, no quickshifter, my fat butt on the bike. Other liter bikes in comparable form (and not ridden by "pro" drag racers) were in the same range on the same days.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #8 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 05:42 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Thank you Bloo
Very informative..... And yeah the other 1000s are hitting about the same trap if not lower
Remember the air was terrible at Byron this last weekend, so it wasnt a good day to be making power. I was trapping about 5mph slower than the week before.

2012 ZX-14R
post #9 of 9 Old 04-13-2011, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by strkd50 View Post
Remember the air was terrible at Byron this last weekend, so it wasnt a good day to be making power. I was trapping about 5mph slower than the week before.
True.... very humid

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in