Squid at the track.... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 06-25-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Posting Frequency
 
Squid at the track....

So Ive had my 10 for around a month now. I had an older 11 for quite a while before this, but Ive never attempted hitting the 1/4. I know how things work there because Ive have a collection of various mustangs and a lightning I took down there ranging from slow to pretty fast, atleast if you consider a street/strip stang running 9.50s fast. Anyway, back to the bike. Its stock outside of a front sprocket and two bros. exhaust. Id love to make a few passes to see what itll do, but Ill be honest, never raced a bike and I need a few pointers. I know without experience, launching it will be tough, but I wondered how many rpms you guys launch at, about how far out of the hole you are before your off the clutch all the way, and what to look for while heading down the track. Thanks guys!
0710r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old 06-25-2008, 10:54 PM
WSB Rider
 
JUPJON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fargo, ND (only about 6 month riding season unfortunatly)
Posts: 719
Posting Frequency
Images: 15
    
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0710r View Post
So Ive had my 10 for around a month now. I had an older 11 for quite a while before this, but Ive never attempted hitting the 1/4. I know how things work there because Ive have a collection of various mustangs and a lightning I took down there ranging from slow to pretty fast, atleast if you consider a street/strip stang running 9.50s fast. Anyway, back to the bike. Its stock outside of a front sprocket and two bros. exhaust. Id love to make a few passes to see what itll do, but Ill be honest, never raced a bike and I need a few pointers. I know without experience, launching it will be tough, but I wondered how many rpms you guys launch at, about how far out of the hole you are before your off the clutch all the way, and what to look for while heading down the track. Thanks guys!
Strap the front, lower the rear. 5-7K rpms wherever you get the feel of the bike and let out the clutch til its just starting to grab and wait for the light then quickly let out the lever w/o dropping it or wheelie- there is a fine line there you have to play with...... It takes a while, practice on a not busy strech of highway first

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.
JUPJON is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old 06-26-2008, 12:05 AM
Squid
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: South Africa
Posts: 19
Posting Frequency
Images: 1
 
JUPJON mention basically everything u need to know.Read some other threads related to this topic on this forum,there`s plenty with good pointers.Lots of practice!
zx10-06 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old 06-26-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Posting Frequency
 
Cool deal, Im thinkin next week I may run down and give it a shot
0710r is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old 06-26-2008, 12:58 AM
WSB Rider
 
JUPJON's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Fargo, ND (only about 6 month riding season unfortunatly)
Posts: 719
Posting Frequency
Images: 15
    
hells yeah, it is a lot of fun. you will get addicted. are you running 1/4 or 1/8th mile? in the quarter my best is 10.2 last year. you should be able to run mid 10s after some seat time depending on mods. Good luck!

98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home.
JUPJON is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old 06-26-2008, 09:07 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 5
Posting Frequency
 
Its a 1/4 mile track. I went down last night to watch and learn some. There was a guy there my brother knows that was running like 9.90s with a bone stock busa first time down there. There was a girl also there that I went to high school with that had a gixxer 600, dont know what was done to it, but man, she could LAUNCH that thing! It didnt matter if she raced another 600 or a liter bike, she could hole shot them enough they couldnt catch her, lol, it was pretty funny, well, atleast untill Im that victim, lol
0710r is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
cause of squid like these!! madnessracing Pictures and Videos 47 03-28-2008 06:52 AM
Squid zx10rjose The Out House 54 03-21-2008 04:27 AM
PC III squid ninja_12r2000 Performance and Tech 26 07-11-2007 10:04 PM
Not a squid any more Jon-G The Out House 7 03-14-2007 06:31 AM
Yet another squid... tylerdurden455 Welcome Newbies! 20 05-05-2006 06:33 AM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome