Somebody tell me about airshifters?! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 11-18-2009, 02:07 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Somebody tell me about airshifters?!

I'm looking to purchase a good air shifter setup for my 2006 ZX10R but am having the hardest damn time figuring out what exactly I will need to have a complete kit. Can anyone help me?

Just looking for a simple pull-type shifter that uses a nitrous filled bottle for it's shifting "juice" per say. Do I need any ignition modules to kill the ignition on the shift? How much can I expect to spend?

Any help is appreciated. The drag section is my last hope! No one in the other sections ever replies

2006 Kawasaki ZX10R: Currently down for repairs after performing the "Rear End A Car Mod"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 11-18-2009, 06:03 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

http://www.cycle-tek.com/

here is the air shifter i use its about $350 it is a co2 kit, by far is superior to the compressor air systems, al you do is have your bottle filled with co2 before you go to the track and your good to go, it uses a regulator so your shifts have the same amout of air everytime, the bottle usually lasts me about 3 trips to the track, and it only costs 2 bucks to get filled. i have been using it for a year and a half and i have not missed 1 shift, over 300 passes

Im sure you could use nitrous

Sponsored by:
Vaughan Racing
Synthetic Shield
Moline Bar
post #3 of 18 Old 11-18-2009, 07:53 AM
^^No Bike Bum^^

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to cbolton69
i have heard of people using N2O rather than Co2... im not sure what the differance would be....

codyc_13... how many passes will you make with your bottle during your 3 trips???

05 ZX-10R (stolen Dec. 3, 2010)
04 ZX-10R (SOLD)

"Violence may not be the best option...... But it's still an option"

"It's Better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

"Those afraid of pain will never know glory"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 11-18-2009, 08:23 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The reason they use N20 is because they fit a nitrous line on it with a T-connector and spray the motor with nitrous trying to be slick. You can spray nitrous discreetly and also use it to shift the bike !!!! Especially if u use the small 9oz. nitorus bottles that can be hidden relatively easy....
post #5 of 18 Old 11-18-2009, 08:32 AM
^^No Bike Bum^^

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to cbolton69
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRECKSHOP View Post
The reason they use N20 is because they fit a nitrous line on it with a T-connector and spray the motor with nitrous trying to be slick. You can spray nitrous discreetly and also use it to shift the bike !!!! Especially if u use the small 9oz. nitorus bottles that can be hidden relatively easy....
never thought about that...... i think i like that idea... not to be sneeky, but kill 2 birds with one stone with the bottle....

sounds like u have some knowledge of this!!!!!

05 ZX-10R (stolen Dec. 3, 2010)
04 ZX-10R (SOLD)

"Violence may not be the best option...... But it's still an option"

"It's Better to die on your feet than live on your knees"

"Those afraid of pain will never know glory"
post #6 of 18 Old 11-18-2009, 08:54 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yes you will need a 4 coil ign. kill box or a t kill (old school, but still works). That cycletek kit is a great set up. Matt is a sponsor at my local series and is out there every race helping out with setups even if it has nothing to do with his product. You can also get a kit from schnitz or mps. Any of them with the ign kill, ram, bottle, valve, lines, an fittings will run you $3-400. A lot people run nitrous through there airshifters to cut down on bottles and weight. One thing to think about when doing this, is there can be a pressure drop in the nitrous when hitting the airshifter.

'06 "Corn Burner" Edition ZX10R
w/ a lot of bolt-ons
PERFORMANCE CYCLE 2 Racing
post #7 of 18 Old 11-18-2009, 10:28 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbolton69 View Post
i have heard of people using N2O rather than Co2... im not sure what the differance would be....

codyc_13... how many passes will you make with your bottle during your 3 trips???
um it really just depends, I bracket race in the PMRA so i would say 50 or 60 passes at 5 shifts per pass. then i get the bottle filled I have never ran the bottle dry so it may have alot more passes than that. Thats with a 9oz bottle. now im using the 20oz bottle and it lasts forever i just fill it whenever i think its getting low!

Sponsored by:
Vaughan Racing
Synthetic Shield
Moline Bar
post #8 of 18 Old 11-18-2009, 07:08 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Is there anyone that offers a complete bolt on kit? I looked at the Cycle Tek and the other kit but neither of them offer the shifter bracket or an 06, only 04-05. Anyone know where I can get an 06 bracket?

2006 Kawasaki ZX10R: Currently down for repairs after performing the "Rear End A Car Mod"
post #9 of 18 Old 11-18-2009, 08:25 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExtendMy10R View Post
Is there anyone that offers a complete bolt on kit? I looked at the Cycle Tek and the other kit but neither of them offer the shifter bracket or an 06, only 04-05. Anyone know where I can get an 06 bracket?
cycle teks shifter bolts right up!!!!

Sponsored by:
Vaughan Racing
Synthetic Shield
Moline Bar
post #10 of 18 Old 11-18-2009, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyc_13 View Post
cycle teks shifter bolts right up!!!!

Looks like I know who I'm going with then! Thanks for the help man, bike looks great btw

Oh and also, does the cycle tek come with the ignition kill module or will I need to buy one elsewhere?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in