Gen 3: 2008-2010 Rear Suspension Set-Up for Drag Racing - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 08-30-2011, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Rear Suspension Set-Up for Drag Racing

I'm looking for some input on setting up the rear suspension on my Gen3 ZX-10 for drag racing next year. Looking for info on what sag should be sat at for drag racing, as well as rebound and hi/lo speed comp. I know rebound should be set towards the hard side and comp (hi&lo??) more towards the soft side to start so the bike squats and rebounds slowly. Also, what swingarm angle (pos, neg, neutral) should I be shooting for(both static and during launch)? I will be running the stock shock also. I figure if Gadson can run 8.XX's on it, it should be good enough for me. I am about 165lb not suited.

Bike is a 2008 ZX-10R and engine mods include full Yoshi stainless/carbon system, K&N street filter, Kawi race intake cam & 0.45 thin hg, all short stacks, secondary butterflies removed and PCV with custom tune. Made 171hp on pump gas before the full system (just a slip-on). Parts ready to go on this winter include BMC race filter, Kawi race exhaust cam, and ignition Module (+1k rev limit). Will also be doing a velocity port on the head, stiffer valve springs, welding the clutch basket and running a Cycle Concepts Gen1 drag pack & springs. Gearing is current at -1/+2 (16T/43T) but I may go -1/+3 or -1/+4. Bike will be extended 7-8" (Adams extended stock arm) and will run Michelin Power One tires. It has threaded adjustable lowering links on it, forks slid up some through the trees and a strap for the strip. I'm also going to throw a 50shot on it but thatís just for fun. It will be all motor passes for bracket racing.

Thanks for the advice!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 08:09 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I just tried to get my swingarm pivot level with the rear axle, and I'm light 145 and 160 suited est but I softened my spring preload about have a turn (stock shock and 63in ). I cant remember comp and rebound, I posted a tread awhile about drag racing and race sag and never got a response. Hopefully someone can help us out on that one
post #3 of 8 Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I have a gen 2 running a stock shock. I set the sag at 3/4 of an inch, both adjusters on full stiff. The bike is 63 inches, lowered three inches in the rear with a shinko ultra soft. Front is 1 1/2 inches lowered with the front strapped. That shock setup has worked well for me and not only lowered my 60' times but made them consistent. I am running high 1.6 low 1.7's right now. Nothing fantastic but it has definitely gotten better.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 10:35 AM
Grease Monkey Bandit

Posting Frequency

Garage

Working on figuring this out as well. Going to track for first time with my new setup. All I've been told so far is that I want my rear axel 1/2" lower than my center pivot axel and front as low as possible. Not sure on compression/rebound/sag.

68", busa shock, 15/46
post #5 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I was never able to get the stock shock working for me. At 68" I revalved the stocker and it worked quite a bit better and took care of the traction issues I was having when I went long. Got the front as low as I could, set sag at just under 5/8" and adjusted the rear links so the swingarm was either flat or slight positive angle when I was sitting on it. The rear axle centerline goes above pivot point when I launch but not when the bike is static. As for compression and rebound I set them both in the middle and began adjusting from there. The biggest help to me was putting a zip tie around the shaft of the shock and pushing it up against the shock body. Then after the run check it out to see how much it squats. You want it to be within about 1/4" of the bumpstop (but obviously not bottoming out).

Got a good deal on a JRI shock so I just threw that on to try it out now that I'm at 72" and its working good so far.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 01:44 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGoodwin22 View Post
I was never able to get the stock shock working for me. At 68" I revalved the stocker and it worked quite a bit better and took care of the traction issues I was having when I went long. Got the front as low as I could, set sag at just under 5/8" and adjusted the rear links so the swingarm was either flat or slight positive angle when I was sitting on it. The rear axle centerline goes above pivot point when I launch but not when the bike is static. As for compression and rebound I set them both in the middle and began adjusting from there. The biggest help to me was putting a zip tie around the shaft of the shock and pushing it up against the shock body. Then after the run check it out to see how much it squats. You want it to be within about 1/4" of the bumpstop (but obviously not bottoming out).

Got a good deal on a JRI shock so I just threw that on to try it out now that I'm at 72" and its working good so far.

I was running a ZX14 shock on my Gen 3 making slightly more hp then you and was squeezing 1.37 60's out of it.soon as the cool air showed up and bike is making more power now it quickly showed me it wasn't gonna work. Sounds like your doing everything right man,BUT there comes a point if you want a faster more consistent bike at the track you will need a Penske.ive seen some nice revalve jobs but you just can't get the rebound adjustability out of a stocker....IMO that's the most important thing

2008 ZX-10r 68" Dime Piece BST wheels
Authorized Woolich Tuner - FLASHED BY SIK
post #7 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx-sik-r View Post
I was running a ZX14 shock on my Gen 3 making slightly more hp then you and was squeezing 1.37 60's out of it.soon as the cool air showed up and bike is making more power now it quickly showed me it wasn't gonna work. Sounds like your doing everything right man,BUT there comes a point if you want a faster more consistent bike at the track you will need a Penske.ive seen some nice revalve jobs but you just can't get the rebound adjustability out of a stocker....IMO that's the most important thing
After the mods the bike was actually making 188hp at the wheel on U4.4 and that setup was good for consistent low 1.40 60's. My best was 1.41 and I think it would have done better but my skills are holding it back. Been drag racing about a year and half so my clutch hand still has a lot to learn.

Bike has a JRI shock on it now. Only got to make 2 passes on it last month before the bike spun a bearing (I think, haven't had time to dig into it to confirm). So dialing that in will have to wait til next year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #8 of 8 Old 10-11-2013, 02:23 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGoodwin22 View Post
After the mods the bike was actually making 188hp at the wheel on U4.4 and that setup was good for consistent low 1.40 60's. My best was 1.41 and I think it would have done better but my skills are holding it back. Been drag racing about a year and half so my clutch hand still has a lot to learn.

Bike has a JRI shock on it now. Only got to make 2 passes on it last month before the bike spun a bearing (I think, haven't had time to dig into it to confirm). So dialing that in will have to wait til next year.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
Correct,better 60's will come with a better clutch hand for sure

2008 ZX-10r 68" Dime Piece BST wheels
Authorized Woolich Tuner - FLASHED BY SIK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in