quick/power shifter ? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 02:17 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

quick/power shifter ?

whats the difference between a quick shifter and a power shifter ? . . . i dont remember what i had on my bike and i took it off cuz i bought the bike with it on and it wasnt working but i know it looked like a was a long pipe with a rod attached to my shift linkage . . . any help please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 02:41 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I'm not sure about the terminology you used, but the two most common aftermarket shift assists are either 1) a button or pressure switched "quick shifter" that produces the same effect as letting off the throttle temporarily, allowing you to shift without releasing the throttle, and 2) an air or other type of powered shifter that does the actual shifting for you, allowing you to delay putting your feet back up to the pegs, or using a different set of rear sets if you have a serious drag set up.

I know Dynojet offers quick shift products (#1 style) that include sensors or push buttons and whatnot.

I'm pretty sure both can be used in conjunction, giving you the option to hold the throttle wide open and simply push a button to shift into the next gear. A couple friends have air shifter setups where they turned their horn button into the upshift button.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-13-2011, 03:04 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage

A power shifter will do it all for you. Either through an electric solenoid or with an air cylinder connected to your shift lever. You hit a button and the bike shifts into the next gear.

A quick shifter is just a micro switch to kill the ignition or fuel for a few milliseconds so you don't have to pull the clutch in. You still have to make the shift with your foot on the pedal, but you don't back off the throttle or pull the clutch lever in.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 02:17 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

I believe a quick shifter always need to be associate with a power commander or bazzaz, am I right ?
post #5 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 05:06 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Yea sounds like it was an air shifter . . . I thinking I'm going to get one again
post #6 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 07:00 PM
Squid wannabe

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ced68 View Post
I believe a quick shifter always need to be associate with a power commander or bazzaz, am I right ?
Not really, some places make stand alone units where you dont need anything else.
They are more expensive tho

"The ZX-10R is capable of being perfectly docile and tractable, but few men are capable of resisting its ever-present voice urging them to just twist it and see what happens."
post #7 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 09:10 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I have a Bazzaz and Quickshifter...full throttle clutchless upshifts....just tap the toe...

post #8 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I've seen some stand alone air shifters that have an unit with that will automatically shift the bike at a certain RPM. Great for consistency and shifting at the perfect spot every time on the strip, but IMO its kinda cheating.

2008 ZX-10R | Black | Arrow Headers | AreaP Slip-on CF | K&N Filter |GUTS ECU Flash By Guhl Motors | Block-Off Plates | Fender Eliminator | Clear Alternatives Integrated Taillight | Rifleman's 1/5th Throttle Insert | Speedohealer | Pro-Grip 719s | Vortex Bar Ends | Puig Z DB Windscreen | CBR1000 Mirrors | Vortex 520 Sprockets -1/+1 | RK Gold 520 Chain | Galfer SS Lines | Pazzo Shorty Levers | Vortex Gas Cap | Rebuilt Damper | Lightech Rearsets | Much More To Come
post #9 of 9 Old 05-14-2011, 10:12 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by BratNetwork View Post
I've seen some stand alone air shifters that have an unit with that will automatically shift the bike at a certain RPM. Great for consistency and shifting at the perfect spot every time on the strip, but IMO its kinda cheating.
I agree only to a point....for Stock Wheel base bikes I think it should be foot shifting putting more pressure on the rider to win not just the bike but when it gets more competitive run what you brung everything goes for most for the win.....I still Foot shift and proud of it too.

bloo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in