Gen 3: 2008-2010 Noise..... - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Noise.....

Let me ask u guys a question.....the ones with -2 in the front.....have you experienced any noise from the sprocket after u went down -2?.......I recently changed mine and now I hear a lil noise coming from that area.....thanks for any input
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 11:01 AM
The Pace

Posting Frequency

g4, going 17/43, I immediately noticed a lower pitch at low rpms. Must be used to it now cause don't notice anything after a few hundred miles.
post #3 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 11:09 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The stock sprocket has a rubber damper on it so the aftermarket sprocket will be louder.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

2011, guhl flash and tune,k&N race spec,Graves ti. 3/4 slipon,1/5 turn insert,-1+2 sprockets,tech spec tank pads,hotbodies venom windscreen,T-rex racing fork and frame sliders, 55w hids,Ivans block off plates,Black Pro bolt kit, Speigler braided brake lines, Mikey Moto lightweight rear rotor.CRG RC2 shorty levers, Suspension Technologies reworked shock
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 11:18 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I had a -1 and it wasn't too much louder than stock....I'm just wondering if the -2 is the culprit....the bike doesn't feel any different in performance, it's just a noise I heard that is aggravating as hell
post #5 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

This is from the chain rubbing the swingarm,the lower it gets the worse you will hear it.ill bet its worse on decell

2008 ZX-10r 68" Dime Piece BST wheels
Authorized Woolich Tuner - FLASHED BY SIK
post #6 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx-sik-r View Post
This is from the chain rubbing the swingarm,the lower it gets the worse you will hear it.ill bet its worse on decell
That's exactly when it happens....when I get off throttle....but when I pull the clutch in it goes away
post #7 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 03:15 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedboitoo View Post
That's exactly when it happens....when I get off throttle....but when I pull the clutch in it goes away
its because your taking the load off the chain,only way to prevent this is raise the bike up some or go to a 16 tooth sprocket.if somebody tells you the sound will eventually go away then do the math....the chain will rub its way into your arm until it has a clear path and leave you with a highly damaged arm.your call

2008 ZX-10r 68" Dime Piece BST wheels
Authorized Woolich Tuner - FLASHED BY SIK
post #8 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 03:25 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by zx-sik-r View Post
its because your taking the load off the chain,only way to prevent this is raise the bike up some or go to a 16 tooth sprocket.if somebody tells you the sound will eventually go away then do the math....the chain will rub its way into your arm until it has a clear path and leave you with a highly damaged arm.your call
This isn't entirely true. Raising the rear up won't have any affect since the sprocket/swingarm pivot relationship is unaffected by that.

But you are correct that the -2F is likely the culprit. That's a damn small sprocket. The chain will continually ride on the plastic chain guide and when off the throttle, the upper run will get all the slack and smack around.

You're best bet is to go back to a 16F and increase the size of the rear sprocket if you still want more gearing than that. -2F is too small IMO.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #9 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 03:29 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedboitoo View Post
Most likely this is due to the chain completely unloading at this point (well mostly). Under power, the upper chain run is tight and the bottom part flops around. When you close the throttle, the lower run gets tight and the upper run will whip. When the clutch is pulled, the only load on the chain is the rear wheel driving the front sprocket. There will be some load on it, but not much comparatively.

Is the sound coming from the right or left side? Do you feel any bumping in the left rearset when this is happening? Usually you can feel the chain slapping against the guide if it's severe enough.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

post #10 of 17 Old 08-28-2013, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
Most likely this is due to the chain completely unloading at this point (well mostly). Under power, the upper chain run is tight and the bottom part flops around. When you close the throttle, the lower run gets tight and the upper run will whip. When the clutch is pulled, the only load on the chain is the rear wheel driving the front sprocket. There will be some load on it, but not much comparatively.

Is the sound coming from the right or left side? Do you feel any bumping in the left rearset when this is happening? Usually you can feel the chain slapping against the guide if it's severe enough.

It's coming from the left side...I can't feel anything in the rearset but it started happening when I changed the sprocket from 16 to 15...... And the only reason I did the change was bc I wanted to see if it would affect my track times
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in