Gen 2: 2006-2007 Next steps for the new guy...don't want to mod heavy for racing. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 07-31-2011, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Next steps for the new guy...don't want to mod heavy for racing.

I used to race brackets in a car years ago, but never tried any of my bikes at the track until this past month. First time out I took it easy and got a feel for track. It's an old 1/8 mile track with a short shut down area (less than an 1/8).

I wanted to ride the bike in and race it with absolutely no changes to see what the base capabilities of the bike were. No stretch, no strap, no tire pressure changes (30psi on Q2's) and no burnout. I'm -1 up front, but have no other performance mods.

Today was the second try at the strip and I decided to get into it a bit and I've hit a wall in terms of progress. Basically, the top end feels good and I'm bumping the rev limiter in second before the traps (110?). 6.90s. The 60 foot times, however, suck. 1.8's and launching anywhere above 8000rpm gets me wheelspin off the light. Below that and she's bogging out.

So....my questions for the gurus are: Is this the point where I need to start doing burnouts, dropping rear tire pressure.......or do I just suck on the clutch? (or all of the above) And.....which would you recommend I work on first?

And.....yeah, I know I need seat-time. I'm going to get that, but I would like to be systematic and avoid making some bad habits.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-31-2011, 01:59 AM
Certified SLOW

Posting Frequency

You should try doing a short burnout just to clean all the crap off the tire. At stock length with the Q2 I never had problems with traction unless I had caked up VHT on the tire and didn't burn it off.

What are your 330 times? With 1.8 60ft you should be doing better than 6.9s. You also have a pretty low trap speed, what is the altitude at your track?

ps - Less than 1/8 mi cut off? That sucks man, I love my 1/2 mi cutoff... especially since I only run 1 front caliper and no rear brakes!
post #3 of 11 Old 07-31-2011, 02:18 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Altitude is relatively low. Maybe 2000 feet. Temps were in the low 90's today.

I couldn't tell you the 330 or what the actual trap speed is. The track only gives the 60ft time and ET. What rpm does the limiter come on? I can probably figure out the mph from that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

x2 on doing a burnout. also do you have the frontend strap on the bike ? if not i highly suggest you gettin one, helps keeping the front end down and i wouldnt worry about tire pressure bc your swb and you want need to mess with the rear tire pressure untill you stretch the wb of the bike.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-31-2011, 06:54 PM
BANNED

Posting Frequency

get a first gen clutch, btw you did good, I ran all stock 7.21 at 113mph, going back with a strap, lowered and geared this time
post #6 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 10:39 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

What do you weigh? I ran 6.7s just lowered and -1 even stock muffler, I sucked with the clutch back then. I'm only 145lbs tho, I would suggest lowering your bike and adding some gear!
post #7 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm 180lbs in gear. I don't want to drop the forks or the rear. I will however, consider strapping and doing a burnout.

Looking at these:

http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/ca...prodid=2744208

Can I get away with longer caliper bolts or do I NEED to get this:

http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/ca...prodid=4781528

..or this:

http://www.schnitzracingstore.com/ca...showprevnext=1

I figure I'll go with drag pack from cycle concepts when this clutch is toast (yeah, I do read the old posts)

What's the smoothest way to come out of the waterbox? I assume I'll back in, hold the front brake, spool her up to about 8000rpm and get her warm. Do you just lighten up on the brake and back off the throttle and let it climb out of the water?

You guys are great, keep the advice coming.
post #8 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 11:06 PM
Certified SLOW

Posting Frequency

Do NOT do your burnout in the water. Hop the rear in the water and move forward out of the water and then do your burnout.
post #9 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolaZX10 View Post
Do NOT do your burnout in the water. Hop the rear in the water and move forward out of the water and then do your burnout.
Is this so I don't paint the undertail with water? School me.
post #10 of 11 Old 08-01-2011, 11:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I didn't need longer bolts nor the end thing with my Brock's strap kit.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in