Gen 1: 2004-2005 Newb to drag-racing - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 01-29-2013, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Newb to drag-racing

So I've decided to try my (clutch) hand at drag-racing

Had my first run on street setup on the 9th Dec 2012 and managed an 11.5 best time on the day (before my clutches started slipping:headshake)

Second day out I got into the tens (10.7) on my last run of the day (before my radiator mount broke off). I dropped the fork 20mm, had a custom fibreglass seat made up and set up the suspension for drags
Both days were run on Bridgestone BT016 tyres at road pressures.

I'm picking up a set of swingarm extentions but want to get into the 9's with the SWB. What do you guys think? Is it possible? Standard motor, exhaust and secondary butterflies removed, growler exhaust, PCIII, Dynojet dyno says 172 RWHP. I weigh 103 kg's naked (need to work on that ) so power to weight needs improving.

Any thoughts/comments/criticisms

Black/Green 2011 ZX10R

Black 2005 ZX10R, STOLEN
MRA double bubble screen, Fren Tubo braided hoses,
Ohlins steering damper, Brembo master cylinder,
Shogun frame sliders, BMC filter, Power Commander,
Growler end can, BT 016 sticky stuff, Pazzo shorties
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 01-29-2013, 09:14 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

9's is possible swb, My bike is knocking on the 8's door on motor with very little engine work and stock exhaust. I'm only 145 lbs I still think you can do it, just lower it and change the sprockets to something more aggressive.

Andrews Motorsports
2009 ZX10R aka "The General"
2008 ZX14R coming soon!

Paypal [email protected]
post #3 of 37 Old 01-29-2013, 09:45 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I ran a best of a [email protected] mph on my gen 1 mods were akra full exhaust pc3 bmc air filter down 2 front sprocket slammed and strapped with a 2ct tire and a fifth throttle....i KNOW with more seat time it would go faster oh and i weigh 145....seat time seat time seat time and you can do it.....the bike is more than capable....work on yourself slam it and strap the front and see what you can do
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 01-30-2013, 07:52 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

9's is very possible... im no fly weight 200# suited and i run low 6's in the 1/8 mid 9's in the 1/4 swb... best mods you can do is lower, strap the front end, regear the bike and get as much seat time as possible and you'll be in the 9's in no time.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #5 of 37 Old 01-30-2013, 08:20 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Yeah man like said, your gonna have to get pretty greedy with gearing at your weight to get you movin but its definitely possible. Depending how comfortable you are with your clutch hand you can just get a 15 for the front. That'll give you a little more wheel base and plenty of gear to get you where you need to be. Plus its cheap and you can just take it right back off if you decide not to go the drag strip route. And make sure you run as much tire pressure as will hook. You really shouldn't need to drop your pressure much being swb. Good luck man!!
post #6 of 37 Old 01-30-2013, 02:36 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by zx racer View Post
9's is very possible... im no fly weight 200# suited and i run low 6's in the 1/8 mid 9's in the 1/4 swb... best mods you can do is lower, strap the front end, regear the bike and get as much seat time as possible and you'll be in the 9's in no time.
And I have no idea how this man does it lol. I weight about 200 in street clothes and go low 6 in the 1/8 stretched. Definently gear the bike and lower it with a strap. Thats your basic setup. Seat time seat time. Learning how to ride is the best thing you can possibly do.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #7 of 37 Old 01-30-2013, 04:29 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
And I have no idea how this man does it lol. I weight about 200 in street clothes and go low 6 in the 1/8 stretched. Definently gear the bike and lower it with a strap. Thats your basic setup. Seat time seat time. Learning how to ride is the best thing you can possibly do.
good clutch hand and big set of ballz lol... but really man these bikes are well capitable of runnin some good times just gota set them up right my goal for this yr is to be in the 5's swb wish me luck.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #8 of 37 Old 01-30-2013, 06:40 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

haha goooood freakin luck man!! that will be an accomplishment for sure

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #9 of 37 Old 01-30-2013, 08:35 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
haha goooood freakin luck man!! that will be an accomplishment for sure
thx man im not givin up till i reach my goal... hows your bike comin along did anything to it recently ?

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #10 of 37 Old 01-30-2013, 09:54 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

man its a horrible disease dont do it.

i dont even want to talk about my goal for this year
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in