Gen 4: 2011-2015 New Guy with some 1/4 times & Sprocket questions. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 10-19-2015, 05:21 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
New Guy with some 1/4 times & Sprocket questions.

Hey guys,

I new to the forum and motorcycles in general, I've own my 2011 10R for almost 2 months now, it the first bike I've ever owned and ridden. I've been hitting the track since about the 2nd week of owning it for every test and tune and bracket raced it a few times.

I recently realized last test and tune when I was in the staging lanes, that my sprockets where stock. After being told by the guy I bought the bike off of that it was 1 down 2 up.

Currently what's been done to the bike performance wise, Power commander with the secondary fuel injector box, a flashed ECU, Full Muzzy system, 4 inch extensions, strapped, and a quick shifter.

It is already plummed and set up for spray I just have to change my swing arm so I can mount the bottle and tune it.

Schnitz tuned the bike and it made 199 to the wheel on 94 pump. (what I was told.)

I just ran my best time last Thursday, the air was pretty good. I weigh 175 unsuited 198 suited (I wear steel toe Cowboy boots haha)

So far for set up I've got Full Bore Street Sport tires at 25 psi rear 42 psi front. They freakin' hook!

I'm launching at 9,000 rpm, I do not roll into the throttle I leave full throttle and feather the clutch. I'm usually all the way out by the time my back tire is at the tree. I shift at 14.5K the shift light and go through the traps at the top of 4th gear. I tried shifting into 5th but the bike looses 2 mph and a couple hundreds. I run 93 pump from Speedway, Sunoco, which every gas station I stop at.

So far here's my best from last week

1.56 60 ft.
4.11 330
6.14 at 120.87 in the 1/8
7.91 at 136.94 1000ft
9.43 at 146.96 1/4

As you can see there is room for improvement, but like I said I've only been riding for right around 2 months. I did run it for the first time in bracket 2 weeks ago and got down to 6 bikes with guys on bar bikes with a delay box, I was pretty proud of that.

Basically what I'm trying to figure out would be how to figure out how much I'd be able to run on the sprockets with out love tapping the rev limiter past the strip.

Just a little backround I've grown up drag racing cars, wrenching and everything else, so I just new to the bike side of things.

Thanks for you help in advance guys!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
This is the bike!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	11990471_10206979805950077_1740318406467701812_n.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	135.4 KB
ID:	343146  
ninja boy and mwasse like this.
post #3 of 40 Old 10-19-2015, 05:44 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome to the nut farm !!!!

That's a nice machine you got there. Your first bike?
Pretty impressive. Good luck with it, sorry I can't help
you with those questions. The only track I use is a
circuit track, with plenty of twisty's and hairpins, not
the straight line track your talkin about.

2008 ZX-10R (modified)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 10-19-2015, 06:13 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Welcome, it's addicting. My advise for you you said you were gonna order a new arm. When you do if your looking to go 8 over, I would order an 8-12 or if looking for 10 over maybe order a 10-14. That way if you ever want to go even longer you don't have to buy a whole new arm.

Like said above me those times are pretty damn impressive for only being on sport bikes for 2 months, the bike looks good. Did you get it tuned or the previous owner?

I'm sure the gen 4 guys will chime in and help you with your gearing on my gen 3 -1+4 works for me but like I said its for a gen 3 not 4. Good luck in the future

65, pos
8.67 @ 154mph
post #5 of 40 Old 10-19-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks for the positive comments guys, and it definelity makes my day when someone compliments my bike! It took me a while to get into the 9's, about 6 passes and I was finally hitting 9.80's. I've got about 1,900 miles under mile belt now. I've had some pretty good teachers, just an idea of who races at my track T Wright with the worlds fastest stock zx14 rides here and has piloted my bike into the 8.9's I ran next to Jeremy Teasley on his very first pass on the H2, a few NHDRO guys ride down at Kil-Kare. The big thing that helped me go fast quick was adjusting the clutch, I run it looser there then what most do so it's more aggressive on the hit with less lever travel. I did not get it tune, The guy who bought the bike brand new and did all the mods to it did, I bought it off him.

I like the 4 inch stretch look wise, and I don't have any problems with wheelies. I was debating about a 6 inch, I'm looking at a McIntosh swingarm from Schnitz on the order form it listed it as single stretch +4,+5, +6. So if I wanted the option of 4-8 would I order a 6 inch or an 8?

I know it was kind of a loaded question on the sprocket, But I just to want to get to big of a sprocket and end up over reving because I do realize as I quick the acceleration it's going to get to red line quicker. I know I'm going 16 on the front, the rear is what I'm trying to figure, and how do I go about figuring the chain length? Do I need to go to a 520 chain setup?

Blue08 that bike is sexy! What does it run, and what do you have done to it?
post #6 of 40 Old 10-19-2015, 07:05 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

post #7 of 40 Old 10-19-2015, 09:33 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Sharp bike and thats good time for little riding you been doin. When you get ready pick up arm i suggest orderin arm longer than you expect that way in future if you decide go longer no need get another.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #8 of 40 Old 10-20-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Thanks for the positive compliments guys! I always appreciate someone else appreciating my bike. Oh my god yes it's addicting! I have such a hard time getting back in my drag car now because it feels so slow compared to the Ninjy. I was looking at either evil swingarms or a McIntosh, I figured a 4 inch which would give me up to 8. Suprisingly the 4 inches I have now I have no issue with wheelies. I've had some pretty good teachers we got top notch people that race here, T Wright on the worlds fastest stock zx14, I ran against Jeremy Teasley a few weeks ago when he took his first pass on the H2, a lot of NHDRO guys. The big help was the bracket guys on Saturday, I'm getting pretty consistant at cutting a .030 or better on the hand clutch. It is frustrating because I'm .00's all day long in my Chevelle.

I didn't get it tuned. The guy who bought the bike new and put all the mods on did.

I'm definitely going with a 16T front. The rear is the big question. Do I need to do the 520 chain conversion? How do I go about calculating for different chain lengths, and for a stretch?
post #9 of 40 Old 10-20-2015, 02:20 AM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPac View Post
Thanks for the positive compliments guys! I always appreciate someone else appreciating my bike. Oh my god yes it's addicting! I have such a hard time getting back in my drag car now because it feels so slow compared to the Ninjy. I was looking at either evil swingarms or a McIntosh, I figured a 4 inch which would give me up to 8. Suprisingly the 4 inches I have now I have no issue with wheelies. I've had some pretty good teachers we got top notch people that race here, T Wright on the worlds fastest stock zx14, I ran against Jeremy Teasley a few weeks ago when he took his first pass on the H2, a lot of NHDRO guys. The big help was the bracket guys on Saturday, I'm getting pretty consistant at cutting a .030 or better on the hand clutch. It is frustrating because I'm .00's all day long in my Chevelle.

I didn't get it tuned. The guy who bought the bike new and put all the mods on did.

I'm definitely going with a 16T front. The rear is the big question. Do I need to do the 520 chain conversion? How do I go about calculating for different chain lengths, and for a stretch?
Yeah you're doing awesome I wouldn't complain about .03 light that's great too .....what did Teasley run on the H2?

As far as 520 you got a high HP bike yeah I get away with it on a First Gen but it's not worth the trouble I eat sprockets and chains so fast in that setup compared to a 525 recommend sticking to 525.

As for finding Chain lengths never seen a good calculator for that and there should be usually I ask on this forum but for Gen 4 not much info. in that department what you want to do is buy alot of chain and many master links.

Bloo

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
post #10 of 40 Old 10-20-2015, 02:32 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I know you're prob looking for a solid answer, but steel sprockets are pretty inexpensive, so I would buy +2, +3 and a +4 sprocket and try them out at the track, That's how I found out what worked the best for me, you can sell the ones you don't use or keep them for spares if you travel to other tracks.

I would stay away from 520 for drag racing, unless you don't mind replacing sprockets and chains more often.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in