New to dragracing - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

New to dragracing

My son and I just went to the strip on our Gen 3s. His is an 08 mine is an 09.
We are new to drag racing, he has made about 5 runs total on two different bikes and I have made about 10 runs total on 4 different bikes.
This is something we would like to do more often but I am concerned about the durability of the bikes. I don't want to be buying clutches and chains, or worse, every other weekend.
Also any tips on keeping the front end anywhere close to the ground would be appreciated :icon_wink:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 12:54 AM
Squid

Posting Frequency

The ware n tare on the bikes shouldn't be too extreme it Is usually general stuff that u already keep an eye on. I also drag a 08 zx 10. It gets addicting. Try strapping the front end from caliper up and over to caliper. It works I made one for my cbr with a strap and some snomobile stud seats
post #3 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 03:18 AM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

If you seriously want to get into drag racing, you should invest in the basic setup. Strap for the front, lowering links for the rear and gear it. Drag racing is definitely an addiction and a lot of fun. Youll wear your clutch the more youre riding it on the launch. Otherwise its not much for wear on the bike.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 05:21 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

This has already been mentioned, but consider this your official warning...drag racing is addicting! I took my stock 08 to the track a few years ago to make a few passes to try it out...and here I am a few years later with a completely purpose built drag bike. lol

I had mine as a street/strip setup for a while and it was a ton of fun. As OP said, a strap kit for the front and adjustable links for the back. This setup allowed me to get the bike pretty low to help wheelies at the track, but after about 15 min in the garage it is back to stock height ready for the street. Gearing does help, but the right gearing depends a lot on rider weight and abilities. I had mine at -1/+2 and it worked good for me. Would tend to stand up about mid track on a good pass but my motor also wasn't stock.

As for wear and tear, clutches are really the only thing you're going to wear out faster than on the street. But that depends a lot on your riding. If you guys are just out having fun to stretch the 10s legs a little, you won't notice much difference in clutch wear leaving like you normally would from a stop. If you're trying to get everything you can out of it and keep improving your ET every time out, then you will start going through clutches faster than normal. My first two years racing, I made about 100 passes each year and went through 2 clutch packs per season. That was leaving at 6k-8k RPM. If either of you do end up getting more serious about drag racing someday and find yourselves really pushing the bikes, do some searching around the forum because there are a few mods you can do to these that are real simple that are either good insurance (e.g. welding clutch basket rivets) or help a lot with the launch (e.g. clutch mod). But don't worry about any of that until you find yourself at the track on a regular basis and are really pushing the bikes hard off the start.

Most important thing is to be safe and have fun. That is awesome that you get to do it with your son. I ride with my Dad on the street (Harleys) but never on the track. He comes to watch me race, but I think it would be a lot more fun to race against him and put his @$$ on the trailer. lol Good Luck!
post #5 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 09:29 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

:mod_smilie_+1: on the front end strap it helps ton keepin that front end down and you can do this below... cheap and works just as good as the expensive radial brackets you get in kit.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Darnell 349.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	186.9 KB
ID:	243194  

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #6 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the great feedback. Especially the pic of the front strap as I had no clue where to even try hooking a strap.
I'm really looking forward to practicing and getting better at this. My son beat me two for two and he is getting really cocky about it.
First run I was concentrating so hard on trying to keep the front end down that I forgot to shift and off he went. Second run I was so jacked on adrenaline that I red lighted, blew a big sky shot wheelie, slammed her down, spun the tire and started banging gears. I beat him down the track but lost due to the red light. Man what a rush.
post #7 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 09:34 PM Thread Starter
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

How low can I slam this thing without causing damage to the front fork seals?
Who has the best deal on straps and links?
post #8 of 18 Old 01-30-2014, 10:35 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Lowering links will depend on what you want to do with it. I run Soupy's Adjustable. Theyre basically a big thread hex block. Adjustments are made with a 19mm open ended wrench and take about a minute and can be done pretty much anywhere, no stand or the like needed. They were like $80 though. You can get a single hole and the bike will be lowered to one set height. 3 hole gives you 3 different settings to work with, but youll need to unload the shock to change them. My Soupys are pretty much infinitely adjustable from stock to a 4" drop.

As for straps, I bought mine from a member on this site. You can find them on sites like Schnitz racing or on eBay. I think theyre $25-30 for the strap, and if you install them how zx_racer showed you it will be around an extra dollar or 2. Radial caliper mount kits are like $100, so zx's method is significantly cheaper.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #9 of 18 Old 01-31-2014, 07:03 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

New to dragracing

Great advise these are smart guys. That said Id like to welcome u and ur son to the zx10 drag family sir

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

Last edited by beanedisel; 02-05-2014 at 12:44 PM.
post #10 of 18 Old 02-01-2014, 01:11 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

08-10 zx10's blow clutch baskets i'd invest in a billet 1 asap..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in