more questions (race cams, valve bucketes) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-17-2014, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

more questions (race cams, valve bucketes)

For my 08... I picked up the 08 race intake cam, stock gen1 exhaust cam (same as the race exhaust cam), gen 1 valve buckets, thin hg and arp head bolts. From everyones expierence would you recommend using all these parts or what would you use/not use or change? wanting to run low 9's in the quarter and 5.9x in the eighth. also planning to get it tuned once i finish it. i know the race cam subject has kinda been beaten to death but just looking for everyones opinion before i knock it out.

65, pos
8.67 @ 154mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-17-2014, 08:08 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I would run all that plus a first gear mod. Even if u and bike combo are 600/620 ish. Bike will b in the 8s depending on ur 60ft and wb

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
post #3 of 12 Old 03-17-2014, 08:42 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Ive seen people post statin they gain power from the gen3 race cam but i actually lost power over stock cams degreed,thin hg.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-18-2014, 07:47 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

The bike should be able to go low 9's with just bolt on mods. The head gasket and cams if setup correctly should get you in the 8's no problem based on your riding skill and chassis setup. a good chassis goes a long way cause having hp does you know good if you cannot use it.

bike is down for not but not out
turbo project is a slow go no money

Need some work done
call 586-214-2414
post #5 of 12 Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

I like how everybody is throwing numbers without knowing altitude where he's racing. At MIR you would run quicker because it's like 80 feet above see level and the bike will make a lot more power than at another track that is at like 2000 feet above see level. I think it's a waste of time putting a 296 duration cam instead of 292 duration cam with the same lift, the gains will be so small if any, won't show anything on the time slip. Degreeing the cams will get you better results and more seat time. And first gear mod on a 3rd gen is the same deal, you won't get the same result as putting first gear mod in a 1st or 2nd gen since they have the tallest gears.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-18-2014, 11:38 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by thundercoupe9 View Post
I like how everybody is throwing numbers without knowing altitude where he's racing. At MIR you would run quicker because it's like 80 feet above see level and the bike will make a lot more power than at another track that is at like 2000 feet above see level. I think it's a waste of time putting a 296 duration cam instead of 292 duration cam with the same lift, the gains will be so small if any, won't show anything on the time slip. Degreeing the cams will get you better results and more seat time. And first gear mod on a 3rd gen is the same deal, you won't get the same result as putting first gear mod in a 1st or 2nd gen since they have the tallest gears.
I always questioned that 4 degrees also. I wonder why Kawasaki made a Gen 3"race" cam with the same lift and only +4 degrees of duration. Thoughts on why they did just 4 degrees?
post #7 of 12 Old 03-18-2014, 08:24 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SelenaP View Post
I always questioned that 4 degrees also. I wonder why Kawasaki made a Gen 3"race" cam with the same lift and only +4 degrees of duration. Thoughts on why they did just 4 degrees?
That's a good question, probably because of race rules if I had to guess.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-18-2014, 08:44 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

With that set up at 601lbs in crap air at Lebanon valley my bike ran 8.90 all day. Same set Up ported head 8.61 at New England drag way better air u won't c the gain on the dyno I actually have less power on motor now but bikes faster now

post #9 of 12 Old 03-18-2014, 09:18 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

stk. long life cams have long opening closing ramps (cushion ramps) where valve is moved slowly off the seat and returned slowly to extend valvetrain/seat wear. these use up a lot of degrees when the valve is at low lift and low flow occuring. even on the 08 race int. duration measured at .050 is 235 degrees compared to 296 at 0 lift. means 61 degrees of duration the valve is .05 or less off the seat. not much flow happening here, a race cam profile can be much different with faster valve accleration/closing ramps allowing higher flow sooner and duration added to the profile at full lift holding the valve open longer there where maximium flow is occuring. cams can be same lift, same stated total duration, how quickly they achieve full lift, how long the valve is open in that area is the key to performance. it's not that it's only 4 degrees, more to do with where on the lift profile the added duration is most effective. could be much more than 4 there. all about the cam profile.

Last edited by gazx10; 03-18-2014 at 09:39 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-19-2014, 12:33 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

^^^^* we'll said

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in