Mirror removal/is it worth it? - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 10-25-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Mirror removal/is it worth it?

I have guys at the track keep telling me I need to remove my mirrors and put blocks offs on, that it takes 12 hp to "push" them down the track and I'll pick up a tenth or so.

Is there any truth to this? Does anyone have any solid data that I'll pick up from removing them?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 10-25-2015, 12:51 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

12hp lol if anything you drop one, two pound weight saving thats it.

05 ZX-10R SWB.
post #3 of 20 Old 10-25-2015, 04:19 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I never removed my mirrors when dragracing. I would pull them in closer to the fairing. If your looking for elapsed time nirvana then perhaps its worth removing them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 10-25-2015, 05:05 PM
Street Rider

Posting Frequency

I'm not aiming this at you but if removing mirrors picked up 12hp then it's the best kept secret in all of motorcycling! Removing them will reduce drag which will result in dropping time but your skill as a rider (and other factors in your favor - line, suspension, tuning) can more than overcome mirror drag i.e. mirrors won't be a deciding factor.

On the other hand, they're not necessary on the track and often times are required to be taped over if not removed anyway, per track rules, so it can only help, no matter how little.
post #5 of 20 Old 10-25-2015, 07:21 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

If there off how are you suppose to see how far the gixxer is behind you?

On a serious note the fact that someone at a drag strip said it takes 12 hp to "push them down the track makes me laugh. If that were the case I think we would see some top $$$ grudge racers cut a leg off bc they must take around 40hp to "push" down the track.

In all reality yes they will have more drag obviously but you will never see a difference on a time slip for a normal bike. If you just head to the track every now and then just fold them in like someone said above me

65, pos
8.67 @ 154mph
post #6 of 20 Old 10-25-2015, 07:47 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
Lol I figured I'd throw the 12 hp comment in he made for your guys laughs, I run the strip alot, test and tune every Thursday, bracket Saturday (they are nice for bracket for judging the stripe against a faster bike) and I'm going to be hitting NHDRO next season. I've been street riding alot less due to how quick our bikes go through clutches but that's not a big issue to put them back on. I didn't know if I'd see a big difference on et, I figured at the most a couple hundredths with what I trap 9.30's at 146-147. But I will be on spray next season and I'm about to go from a 41 tooth rear to a 43 as soon as it arrives. Luckly my local track doesn't make us tape them up.
post #7 of 20 Old 10-25-2015, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
On a side note about a Gixxer, thrusday I ran against a pretty fast one on spray (8.60's bike) but even with my limited riding experience in general on a bike I still 60 footed 1.56 to his 1.60 and he weighs about 20-30 lbs less suited hehehe.
post #8 of 20 Old 10-25-2015, 08:05 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Damn, an 8.60 with a 1.6 60' that bike would be nasty with a better rider

65, pos
8.67 @ 154mph
post #9 of 20 Old 10-26-2015, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Garage
I asked him how big of a pill he had in it. He told me a 40 pill. I don't know if he just does an easier launch or what. He's stretched pretty good probably 12 inches, maybe he spun a little. I just felt got actually 60 footing someone for once. Haha. It's crazy how long our first gears are. On a side note I have a 43 tooth sprocket coming in and I'll have it on for Thursday, what should I expect with launching going up to that from my 41 tooth? If I was in my drag car I'd know what to expect changing the ring and pinion, I'm just not sure how it's going to effect the launch and how much I need to quicken getting my feet up to make that first shift. Typically my feet are up by around 80 or so feet out.

Your more experienced with this then I am so I respect your advice on this and forgive my newbness.
post #10 of 20 Old 10-26-2015, 05:54 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Going up 2 won't be that much of a difference for the launch. It will make your first gear a little shorter which is good bc like you said they do have y'all first gears. I would launch a little lower than you do the first time just so you can see how it reacts with the new gear. I'm -1+4 on my gen 3 foot shifting and it's still not too terrible to get the foot up for the 1-2 shift.

65, pos
8.67 @ 154mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in