Lock up/slider clutch - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Lock up/slider clutch

Does any one make a lock up for the 06 07 models or at least a modified clutch cover to accept it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 12:19 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The only one that I know of is the Hays convertable clutch. It can be set up as a single/multi stage lock up, slider or combination.
http://www.haysmachineworks.com/inde...mart&Itemid=26

Or you can try swapping to the 04-05 clutch and running the muzzy lock up ( a lot cheaper)
Then run hays' clutch cover spacer http://www.haysmachineworks.com/inde...mart&Itemid=26

'06 "Corn Burner" Edition ZX10R
w/ a lot of bolt-ons
PERFORMANCE CYCLE 2 Racing
post #3 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

[QUOTE=JLAudio11;1372696]The only one that I know of is the Hays convertable clutch. It can be set up as a single/multi stage lock up, slider or combination.

Or you can try swapping to the 04-05 clutch and running the muzzy lock up ( a lot cheaper)
Then run hays' clutch cover spacer

Every thing shows the 04 05 model but not the 06 07. I take it you have one on your 06. Does that mean Hays will bolt right up with out an 04 05 basket and hub? Will the 04 05 basket bolt right on and do I have to modify my current basket to accept the 04 05? I know its lots of Q's but I'm trying to understand what it'll take before I drop a note and end up with the wrong setup. I really appreciate the info and like the the setup that Hays has.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 04:22 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I still have a stock clutch but have looked for the same thing you are. The hays will drop right in. They have different setups for the different generations. As for swapping to the first gen clutch, I don't know very much about it other than it has been done. A lot of people do it to eliminate some clutch chatter that the 2nd gen has. I personally am very happy with mine, lasted all season swb, never changed anything just pulled the plates out and mic'ed em occassionally. To get an inexpensive lock up I would think you would be able to swap to the 04-05 basket and plates and install the muzzy lock up. Then use Hays spacer and be good to go. Try searching on here for guys swapping the clutchs and check out psychobike.com, there's a ton of strictly drag related info on there and Mr. Hays himself.

w/ a lot of bolt-ons
post #5 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 04:34 PM
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

I have a dumb question that wasn't answered by looking at the link provided above. (Not a drag racer)

What does this device do? Is it some sort of centrifugal clutch?

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #6 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 04:41 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

In lockup the higher the rpm the more clamping force. When you are pushing big power you need it. In slider it will engage at a preset rpm. This is a very simple explanation.. I am the one the helped tim create this clutch for the 10. Worth the money
post #7 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Simply put, Yes! It can be setup in different formats single stage, multi stage, slider, or normal hand clutch.
Single stage- the fingers flip out and apply pressure to keep plates from slipping
this can be adjusted for how fast and how much pressure by changing the weight (nut, bolt, washers) on each finger.
Multi stage- same as above but different amounts of pressure at different points, low rpm/high rpm
slider- centrifugal clutch basically, adjust fingers, stack height, and static pressure to get clutch to engage at a certain rpm and "slide" to a desired rpm where it eventually "locks up"

The disadvantage to a slider is that it can only be ran full blast, up and down rpm and normal street riding will tear it up in a hurry.

w/ a lot of bolt-ons
post #8 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 05:26 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to Cycle Concepts
Quote:
Originally Posted by redline659 View Post
In lockup the higher the rpm the more clamping force. When you are pushing big power you need it. In slider it will engage at a preset rpm. This is a very simple explanation.. I am the one the helped tim create this clutch for the 10. Worth the money
yes he did!!!

The Hays clutch works great from the simplest of street bikes all the way up to a full blown drag bike...We have sold lots of the hays clutches for the gsxr's and they work great!! Get you one!!
post #9 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 06:12 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

If Hays can make them for either of the models then
post #10 of 18 Old 01-19-2010, 11:26 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Dwayne at Cycle Concepts was an important part in making sure the ZX-10 Clutch was right as well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks again Dwayne.

If you guys need a killer clutch pack contact Dwayne. His clutch packs are head and shoulders above OEM!!!!!!!!! and they are cheaper!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in