Im slow on the 10r - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 Old 06-22-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

Im slow on the 10r

I have a friend with a 2002 gsxr 750 lowered 1.5 inches, tre -1+3, and a slipon. We lined up for fun this weeked his brother marked out a quarter mile and we did a few races. Every time he had me off the line and through most of the quarter. I would catch him right around the quarter mark and be 10-20 mph faster then him everyhing after that was me. Im -1+0, tre, flies removed, cats knocked out, a&r baffles, and pc3. I think my biggest issue is standing it and he weighs 125lbs while I come in at 235lbs. We switched bikes and I did pull him out of the whole just didnt keep the lead as long, I'm sure thats just the more weight thing. I would like to be ahead before well before the end of the quarter w/o extending the swing arm or riding around with a strap all night and I had it lowered but then my wife couldn't ride with me so don't want to drop it again. I have experiance with 600cc's and once the clutch is out they stay down under full thottle and this10r wont do that. Any tips for me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 06-22-2009, 11:51 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to K7ZX10RGuy
Only thing i can suggest it to gear it more...

Don't forget that with stock gearing on a 10r, 1st gear is good for nearly 100mph I have ridden a 05 750 Zook and them things are geared in the tranny like a 600...first gear on a 10R is a mile long in comparison so that means more clutch slippage to get that baby going and some extra time until you can get the power down.

"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." -- Abraham Lincoln

A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory.

Last edited by K7ZX10RGuy; 06-22-2009 at 11:54 PM.
post #3 of 24 Old 06-23-2009, 12:05 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Yeah I would say the same as the last post. I think you may be changing gears too early. Every size bike has a different shift point so a 1000 is not going to be the same as a 750. Every now and then I ride with some guys that have 600s and always pay attention to their feet. accelerating at the same speed I notice when Im still in first they are already in 3rd. When Im in 2nd theyre in 4th.... when Im in 4th they are usually already in 6th! If you're worried about the front coming up and you arent big on hitting the twisties then just streatch the bike a couple inches. I know some dude that has a zx-12, stretched 8 inches, lowered that can do the quarter mile in the high 6's with no wheelie. Of course if you do like to hit the twisties I wouldnt recommend it.

"Life is too short to be living somebody else's dream."
Hugh Hefner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 06-23-2009, 01:53 AM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I like the long gears after being 17/40 for a while then I switched to the 16t up front felt like I was driving a 600 again. Granted it was not even close to the shifting I had to do on my 600 but I lived in first gear on stock gearing. When I rode with a buddy on a 6r I would pull up beside him and ask what gear he was in after he said 3rd or 4th I would just hold up 1 finger. Never felt over reved till 70 on stock gear now I have to use 2 every so once in a while. I am about to do the 1/5 throttle mod before this weekend. Im right behind him so it doesnt look to bad. When I do pass him I fly by him. I don't see why more gear would help me when as it sits I can't keep it down. Till mid to high 2nd gear the front willl just go strait up and when I pass that point is when I pull hard. Guess I need to find a why to get more throttle down faster. I do like track days so the swingarm is never getting extended.
post #5 of 24 Old 06-23-2009, 02:36 AM
Dont mess wit White Ninja

Posting Frequency

8900 rpms is where the max torque is. Try to get around there for your launch, I do 7500-8200 and I have had mine vs. every 600 out at palm beach raceway and all they see is my tail light right off the light(not every bike haha). I run from 9.5's-9.7's at swb and right around 140's. There should be no reason that gsxr is even on the side of you. At most maybe a second. But that weight things a big issue there. You said the kid is 125 pounds...Thats small

Last edited by abzx10r; 06-23-2009 at 02:40 AM.
post #6 of 24 Old 06-23-2009, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Squid

Posting Frequency

I shift at 12.6.12.8 pretty sure thats not an issue prob more the launch and throttle control. When you launch at 7.5-8.2 how long are you slipping the clutch?
post #7 of 24 Old 06-23-2009, 06:47 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

The only time that gix should be next to you is at the line. lol.

2004 ZX-10R - Powder coated Kawasaki green wheels, attack performance bars, PC III, Ivans GRE, vortex front sprocket, vortex cat 5 black rear sprocket, vortex rear sets, RK 525 green chain, galfer ss brake lines, custom frame sliders & and swing arm spools, BMC air filter, Scorpion street extreme exhaust, DB screen, Green integrated tail light kit, OEM seat cowl, speedohealer v4, Factory Pro velocity stacks.
post #8 of 24 Old 06-23-2009, 08:51 PM
Dont mess wit White Ninja

Posting Frequency

Slipping the clutch, maybe a second if that, but it kicks thats for sure. I can barely keep the wheel on the ground. I used to launch my bike all the time at max rpm's but I have better results when launching a little lower. Just me but what ever is your feel

post #9 of 24 Old 06-25-2009, 07:17 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Get some more gear, practice your launches, and y'alls difference in weight is gonna be the biggest thing.

Kenny Poppell
AMA Dragbike SuperSport #1000
2007 AMA Dragbike 1000SS National Champion
2007 1000SS 1/8th ET Record Holder 5.967
Best 1/[email protected] Best 1/[email protected] Stock Wheelbase
Special Thanks:

Performance Psycle
Richies Tires
http://www.XXXRacingFuel.com
http://www.SuperbikeSpecialties.com
http://www.Tsukigi.com
http://www.CycleConceptsRacing.com
http://www.myspace.com/ruthlessracing1
post #10 of 24 Old 06-25-2009, 07:50 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by cesarb714 View Post
Yeah I would say the same as the last post. I think you may be changing gears too early. Every size bike has a different shift point so a 1000 is not going to be the same as a 750. Every now and then I ride with some guys that have 600s and always pay attention to their feet. accelerating at the same speed I notice when Im still in first they are already in 3rd. When Im in 2nd theyre in 4th.... when Im in 4th they are usually already in 6th! If you're worried about the front coming up and you arent big on hitting the twisties then just streatch the bike a couple inches. I know some dude that has a zx-12, stretched 8 inches, lowered that can do the quarter mile in the high 6's with no wheelie. Of course if you do like to hit the twisties I wouldnt recommend it.
My buddy has an '04 750 and he usually gets me out of the hole unless I launch at 7k+ rpm. 1st gear on his bike winds out around 45mph, and that's where I say by-by. However we weigh the same, looks like you've got reason to cut back on the beer and munchies.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in