Help me get into the 6s. - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 09-22-2008, 09:05 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Help me get into the 6s.

Took the 10 down to the 1/8th mile dragstip on sunday for a test and tune. Started out a lil shy just trying to get used to getting off the line. First run of the day was a 8.xx @ 98mph. After a few runs I felt more comfortable and started to open it up a lil bit and got into a 7.45. My tires were hurting severly for they were way beyond suitable for drag but I thought it would be a good way to retire them. Just as I thought I couldn't get past 7.45 I ran my best of the day @ 7.29 @ 107. Top speed of the day was 111mph. I was happy to get down under 7.3 and ended there with the steel belt showing in a 4 inch area. Going to order some more tires ASAP!!! I believe with some proper rubber I can get into the 6s and of course with some good seat time.
Question for you guys. What tire can I run that will still be suitable for the curves on the road and the strip. I had a lot of fun on the strip but not quite sure if I'm ready to convert her into a full on drag bike. She still needs to be able to take on the curves.
Also I will be upping the rear sprocket 1 or 2 teeth. I'm already -1 on the front.
So, can you guys help me on some input to land me into the 6s???

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam."

"I will either find a way or make one."

Akrapovic Dual Carbon Fiber Exhaust. LP Fuel Controller. Pirelli DC IIIs. Monster Energy Graphics. HealTech Speedohealer. Puig DB Smoked Screen. Fender Eliminator. Rear Seat Cowl. Keiti Clear Tank Pad. Pro Grip 719 grips. Gorilla Alarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-22-2008, 09:28 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

SWB bike a stock tire will do fine. I run low 6.40's all day on my stock wheelbase bike with the factory tire. The extra gear will help also. But if you can get the 60 foots into the 1.7-1.8 (good for a newbie)you can run 6's easily. Are you lowered and straped btw?

post #3 of 6 Old 09-22-2008, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

No, not yet. I don't want to lower at this point, but willing to use the front strap. I was impressed by my ability to move out of the 8s and into the sub 7.3 for the first time. It was my goal to hit 7.3. I think most of my problems are resting on that rear tire. It will be getting replaced ASAP and I plan to be back out with a week or two with some improved times.

Akrapovic Dual Carbon Fiber Exhaust. LP Fuel Controller. Pirelli DC IIIs. Monster Energy Graphics. HealTech Speedohealer. Puig DB Smoked Screen. Fender Eliminator. Rear Seat Cowl. Keiti Clear Tank Pad. Pro Grip 719 grips. Gorilla Alarm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-22-2008, 07:49 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Get a new tire on that thing and let us know how you do. Let me know your 60 foots and 330 times to. Those are the important numbers.

post #5 of 6 Old 09-23-2008, 07:56 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Ordered a new tire yesterday. Should have it on by wednesday. Ordered a Pirelli DCIII in factory size. Hope to be able to make it to the track on sunday.

post #6 of 6 Old 09-29-2008, 07:41 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Okay, I got a near rear tire on (Pirelli DCIII) and took the bike back down to Shady Side yesterday. The day went alright other than there being way too many bikes down there. In the 2.5 hours I was there I only got in 4 runs and I'm always the one toward the front of the line ready to run. For some reason or another they turned the time displays off for the bikes and I didn't get the times for my first two runs. On my last two runs I got a number and picked up my time slips. I could def. feel the tire doing a great job and really sticking to strip. I did get a surprise when the tree switched from sportsman to pro tree right when I pulled up... reaction time was horrible, i was anticipating the 3 yellows, not the 1.
Anyway, here is my best:
60' 1.995
E.T. 7.364
MPH: 107.844
WIN (1st)

Beat a streched out gsxr on that run. Bike was running great and the tire was gripping, I just didn't get enough runs in to learn how to launch with the new tire. Hope next sunday won't be as packed so I can make atleast 10 passes.
If anybody has any advice I would gladly take it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in