help launching without frying clutch - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 05-26-2008, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

help launching without frying clutch

ive had my 07 just long enough to break it in. friday night i went to the local strip, where i had 5 passes with a low et of 6.9... i have a 6in. stretch, full exhaust, bmc filter and pc, lowered and strapped. im a big guy and im not expecting much less time than tha for now. however, in preparing for the track i had a few practice launches @ 6 or 7000 rpms, and i found myself bogging down from dropping the clutch. at the track i was leaving @ a higher rpm and slipping the clutch longer. i wasnt bogging down but my buddies were telling me that i shouldnt have to leave with the rpms so high, so the next day i was practicing again @ 6000 slipping the clutch pretty long and after about 6 tries my clutch was gone. i had hoped that it was just hot but no, they arent grabbing with any throttle. now, the question is how can i avoid doing this again. is there any specfic technique or product i could buy that will prevent this? id appreciate any help or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 05-26-2008, 11:51 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You need to gear it. Dont know your weight but i say go 1 down/ up 4-5 in the back. My 10 was setup similar to yours. I would go WOT before the clutch was out. Dump it dont slip it. The bikes long. It not gonna flip over. 1.50 60 foots that way. Leaving at 6500 rpm. But like i said. I would go WOT before clutch came out.

post #3 of 26 Old 05-27-2008, 03:09 PM

Posting Frequency

I launch bikes around 6-7k rpms and dont have a problem(not the 14 though, i lower the rpm). After you slip the clutch you need to to be out of it and at WOT as soon as possible. Dont still be slippin the clutch for any long period of time. I try to be out before or around the 60foot. Also let the bike cool after your pass. Making pass after pass is a sure way to burn up that clutch. From my expierence(dont know if im just hard on clutches) but the zx10s just dont seem to have long clutch life. peace
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 05-27-2008, 08:22 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

You should also lean your bike to the right so you lube those clutch plates. Dont feel bad about burning up the clutch cause thats what happens when you learn how to launch your bike at the track. One more hint is to take your oil cap off to cool the case down between passes.

Marchesini Magnesiums,Nassert beet,kawi cam,.45 headgasket,DJ PC/Ig.M/QS,velocity stacks,bmc race,gipro,sato rearsets,helibars,throttlemeisters,pazzo shorties,speedohealer,520 renthal sprockets,penske 8393 double clicker,traxxion dynamic springs,scotts stabilizer,lsl frame sliders,cox radiator guard,powerbronze hugger,puig DB,solo seat cover,Valentine1,dual low beam projectors,55w.hids, brembo superbike rotors,Goodridge superbike lines,nissin calipers and rizoma mirrors,mda123 battery.
post #5 of 26 Old 05-27-2008, 09:50 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

first change your oil! whenreplacing your clutch spray some parts cleaner in the pan to wash out any crap. {old clutch fibers} Now Brock's and schnits sell stiffer clutch springs and Ihighly recomend them. they will not allow top end slippage witch will toast a clutch quick. Talk to dewayne at cycle concepts and get cha a new clutch and some stiffer clutch springs.

I got tiered of buying go fast parts.... So i got a turbo! now i need go slow parts!
If it aint modded it aint yours!
post #6 of 26 Old 05-28-2008, 06:27 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

i already ordered a new set and i have a set of sprockets (-2+2). thats the perks of workin at a dealership you break something and can fix it in a few days. the clutch springs sound like agood idea. can you get them from orient express?
post #7 of 26 Old 05-28-2008, 08:56 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncstuntstar View Post
i already ordered a new set and i have a set of sprockets (-2+2). thats the perks of workin at a dealership you break something and can fix it in a few days. the clutch springs sound like agood idea. can you get them from orient express?
Schnitzracing.com

post #8 of 26 Old 05-29-2008, 02:38 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to OneSLOW10
how much do the clutch springs generally cost to install?

2005 PMR. Full Ti Evo 2, BMC Race, V-Stacks, PC3, IG Module, DJ QS (not installed), 1/5th throw (not installed), -1 +2 with Gold RK Chain, Speedo Healer V4, Removed 2ndaries, Red GiPro, Pilot Powers, Dual H.I.D.s, Brocks brackets and strap, Rear 2" Muzzy Drop, Vortex Rearsets, Scotts Damper, 2 HyperPro Dampers, Puig DB, ASV Levers, Titax Levers, Pazzo Levers, Kill switch (made to look like it's mounted), CA front/rear lights and a owner who adores her...
post #9 of 26 Old 05-29-2008, 10:24 PM Thread Starter

Posting Frequency

i wouldnt think a shop should charge much over 2 hours of labor, but it would be pretty easy to do yourself. btw i found some brocks "spacers" for thirty bucks(which seemed to just be thick washers). but i think im gonna go with some barnett springs or orient express springs, whichever i can get in first. then ill hit the pavement again and try to keep these a little longer. thanks for the tips and if there are anymore let me know
post #10 of 26 Old 05-29-2008, 11:38 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

I leave at anywhere from 8500-9500 rpms and I usually change my clutches around 70-80 passes.(just as maintenance not because they are bad) If you going through clutches quicker than that on a stretched bike your probably holding onto the clutch too long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in