fuel/tune question - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 Old 11-02-2013, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

fuel/tune question

im reading up on different fuels for my bike when I take it to the track. I have a brocks exhaust. pc3, ecu flashed and a few other bolt ons. this winter im putting in my kawi race cam, and thin head gasket and possibly a small shot of spray. once I finish im getting it tuned and my question is what would be a good fuel I was reading and it seems like mr12 is popular any specific fuel that would be good with that set up? and I believe id have to ditch the PC3 and get a pcv or bazzaz to run 2 different maps. one for the mr12 and one for 87 for the street? im completely stupid when it comes to all this fancy electrical stuff haha so throw me a bone please.

65, pos
8.67 @ 154mph
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 Old 11-02-2013, 07:19 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

used dynojet multi function hub can be purchased cheap and will allow 2 maps simply plugged into your pc3. mr12 requires a specific tune, throttle position mapping is by far the best way. expect power increases of 8-10 hp in midrange from 6k and 7-8 hp on top tuned properly. my torque increased almost 5 lbs. throttle response improved also. been running mr12 3 years now, it will be in my tank 3 days straight for the dragbike races this coming weekend as it has been for the last 3 years. I drain the tank, couple of gallons pump in tank, crank and idle till mr12 flushed thru system, about 3 minutes. no problems. opened shelf life less than 6 mos. and it is highly active in the metal storage can. basically nasty stuff to store due to expansion, contraction, and odor, siphoning and flushing is simple and quick. it's not much trouble at all for the performance increase it provides. just my experience. not a good fuel for nitrous though.

Last edited by gazx10; 11-02-2013 at 07:39 PM.
post #3 of 40 Old 11-03-2013, 07:07 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Agreed^^^^ but make sure u only spray small shit on mr12 and tune needs to be on point. Also agree use the hub and if u want u can always add the ignition module that's how my bikes r set up

Sent from Motorcycle.com App
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 40 Old 11-04-2013, 12:20 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I have had the best luck with C85 from VP. I went quicker than MR12. Tested it back to back at the track. Ran MR12, drained it, then put the C85 in and went slightly faster, but not by too much. DA was the same on both passes as well.

68" 2011 ZX10
post #5 of 40 Old 11-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

What is c85 is it like the e85 ethanol/methanol or something never heard of it

post #6 of 40 Old 11-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Grease Monkey Bandit

Posting Frequency

Garage
Why not spray on mr12? Asking because op said he may be spraying and I'm in the same boat. What is good to spray on?

"Homewrecker" Gen3 custom build by ZX-SIK-R in progress.... check the build thread: https://www.zx-10r.net/forum/f28/airb...ad-140226.html
post #7 of 40 Old 11-04-2013, 08:59 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirborneMechanic View Post
Why not spray on mr12? Asking because op said he may be spraying and I'm in the same boat. What is good to spray on?
You don't want to spray on MR12 because it's a low octane fuel. Usually 87-89 octane. Not safe for nitrous.

post #8 of 40 Old 11-04-2013, 09:11 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

We have guys that spray on mr12 but u have to be carefull because of the lie octane but if u pull a couple degrees of timing and spray only a baby shot it's fine I prefer to spray on the Q16 still has oxy and plenty of octane I know it's over kill on a small shot but it's really safe plus I didn't lose hp on motor like I do with the c16

post #9 of 40 Old 11-04-2013, 09:50 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanedisel View Post
We have guys that spray on mr12 but u have to be carefull because of the lie octane but if u pull a couple degrees of timing and spray only a baby shot it's fine I prefer to spray on the Q16 still has oxy and plenty of octane I know it's over kill on a small shot but it's really safe plus I didn't lose hp on motor like I do with the c16

That's how its done.
post #10 of 40 Old 11-06-2013, 01:36 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

ACTUALLY if your considering spraying and running on motor I'd go with MRX02,it handles nitrous very well and no need to pull timing unless you go over a 50.Q16 and C16 are for very large amounts of nitrous.will absolutely kill hp unless you really need the high amount of octane. Not a lot of people will admit it but you can advance the timing on gas and make some serious power but this is more of a grudge application because the engine won't last very long.

I really don't understand the theory of spraying on MR12 and pulling timing to make up for it? That's completely defeating the purpose of what you want to achieve.use a good fuel like MRXO2 and a 50 shot...if you wanna take it easy on the bearings tune to 11.5 AF and 5.4x's all day long.tune at 12.2 and you could easily put the bike into the 5.3x mark if your a talented rider.

My gen 1 only made 200hp on a 50 shot and ran a 5.40 off the trailer every time I took it out,but I tuned it very fat to prolong bearing life.

2008 ZX-10r 68" Dime Piece BST wheels
Authorized Woolich Tuner - FLASHED BY SIK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in