Fork Strap Info - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 37 Old 03-02-2012, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Fork Strap Info

Hey Guys, how are you compressing your forks with a strap? I keep trying to do it on the 10, but it's not compressing a lot.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old 03-02-2012, 01:50 PM
Squid

Posting Frequency

A fat chic??? Good question tho, cause I always wonder how they get the to compress so much. Ratchet it down on the handle bars somehow?
post #3 of 37 Old 03-02-2012, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Can I just get the 2 out of your avatar? lol. I dunno. Its got a cam buckle so Im supposed to be able to just pull and push on the front and itll compress. Mine dont compress that much though.

Anybody?? Need to know for the strip tonight. Just got them setup last night

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old 03-02-2012, 02:02 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

BE CAREFUL...

Sit on the bike, grab the strap with your left hand and pull on it slightly, start rolling the bike forward, grab the front brake and pull on the strap at the same time...

Like I said BE CAREFUL

Sponsored by:
Vaughan Racing
Synthetic Shield
Moline Bar
post #5 of 37 Old 03-02-2012, 02:06 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

what am I being careful for specifically? Like, is there something other than the obvious (dropping the bike, smacking plastics with the buckle, punching myself in the face by losing my grip on the strap? haha) I should be worried about?

post #6 of 37 Old 03-02-2012, 02:09 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Just dropping the bike because you have to hit the brakes pretty good to get it to compress the forks.

Sponsored by:
Vaughan Racing
Synthetic Shield
Moline Bar
post #7 of 37 Old 03-02-2012, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

way cool, I will give that a try. I figured I would be able to do the same thing via pushing the bars. No dice. thank you mucho!!

post #8 of 37 Old 03-02-2012, 02:12 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You just gotta be careful not to drop the bike as you only have one hand on the bars. When I used to ride the bike to the track, I would find a fellow bike racer to help me. I would hold the front brake and bounce the front suspension while they pull the strap tight. If I don't have any help, I'll hold the front brake and bounce the front end while pulling tight with my left hand. Usually not as effective but gets it sucked down quite a bit. Now that I haul the bike to the track, I just throw the strap on before I let out the tie downs.
post #9 of 37 Old 03-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Dude its not that serious! As long as your strap is in good shape it'll be fine. Hell mine has been freyed since I put it on 6 years ago and it still works like a champ. You really have 3 options. 1. sit hold your front brake and pull your strap as you push the front down with your right hand on the bar. 2. Have a friend help you. I have a friend sit on mine and hold the front brake and pull the strap as I pull down the front end. option 3 works GREAT as long as your careful. I usually do it after I tech especially if i'm by myself. I just get goin, grab my strap with my left hand, get where no gravel or anything is, and grab your front brake and pull your strap. Of course you need to let off your front brake after, so make sure you carry enough speed to be able to grab your brake enough to get your strap tight, but still have enough speed to not wobble. Just remember don't grab a BUNCH of front brake, it doesn't take that much, especially if your pullin your strap pretty good too..
post #10 of 37 Old 03-02-2012, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

cooooo!! I will let you guys know how this goes after tonight. If I drop it, Im gonna negative rep all of you! just messin. love you guys!! hahaha thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in