First Time at the Strip YAY! - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 05:38 AM Thread Starter
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

First Time at the Strip YAY!

Well I had a blast and is something I'm going to do way more often. It is truly a difficult sport and loads of fun. Well I took the 05 6R as I never launch or wheelie and figure that be a lot safer and more enjoyable than the 10R. I had massive cooling problems with the 6R on the way to the track. Fan wouldn't go on ever and I think the thermostate is done and it kept over heating even at highways speed. I believe the high of the day was 20 degree C (68F). Ended up having to stop 3 times to get the track. Never had a performance issue with the bike from the strip home but I do have to fix the cooling system before I ride it again, thank god for 2 bikes.

A little about me and the bike. I weigh suited 198LBS, I have circuit track and fast road experience. The 6R is setup for track days and fast road and it some what wheelie happy. I didn't realize until a couple runs that my shift light was coming on WAY too early 14000 RPM instead of indicated redline of 15500 RPM. One of the guy's I joined at the track had a Kawasaki tent and said hello and camped with him. Learned quite a bit from him especially staging as the first Run I was like "ok I go now?" He also knew how to adjust the shift light. I'm bad with names but really grateful for his help. He was running a 1st gen zx10r with a 6inch stretch and a bunch of other mods to go fast(air shifter, etc...) He was running 9.6s all day long.

My 60 foot is terrible and I need to figure out how to launch better other than that down the strip I feel really good. I only raced 2 different bikes, mostly my buddy's 09 R1 which seems like it has major engine problem( something about a cam tensioner recall, motor doesn't even sound right). The other bike which is in race 2 is a k5 or k6 GSXR 1000, he was running pretty good and just destroyed me.

For the first couple runs I was launch from around 6000 RPM then brought it up to 10000 RPM.

Enjoy the videos and feel free to give me advice to improve. Going to try and go again next weekend but with the 10R.

Here's all the slips, from left to right is 1-4 then 5-8. Funny my best run was my first ever and was my best 60 foot and I short shifted ever gear not knowing.

Really have a ton of respect for guys with insane reaction times and 60 foots. I'm also really surprised there aren't more people at the next especially road racer. Almost every circuit race starts with a drag race.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 08:27 AM
Servo's Eliminatus ;)

Posting Frequency

Hey bro
Your first time at the track isn't about how fast you are.
It's a learning experience and about having a good time and meeting people.
You will get better with practice and have even more fun.
Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for posting up.

If your hair is short and nappy...
Afrosheen will make you happy.
Anyone remember that one from the 1970's ?
post #3 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 09:11 AM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellsrazor View Post
Hey bro
Your first time at the track isn't about how fast you are.
It's a learning experience and about having a good time and meeting people.
You will get better with practice and have even more fun.
Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for posting up.
seat time is the key to going fast... stay on that seat and them times will start to drop for you

05 ZX-10R SWB.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 03:00 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

What is your gearing?? Are you stock length? Any over?
All those will help you 60ft times.
I can tell your slipping the hell out of the clutch and not getting into the throttle off the line. If your stock length then that would be the reason why , you have to slide the clutch without wheelie on a stock wheelbase bike. Usually fighting wheelies is the hardest part of racing then.

Post up a few pics of the bike when possible.

We race a local guy on a 06' zx6r and he cuts 1.55-1.58 60 foots, and 6.5-6.6 1.8' mile. He is stretched about 7- 7.5" out and I'm not about gearing though.

2005 ZX-10R Akrapovic Ti Evo 2 w/CF LOR can, PC3 with custom map, Factory Pro velocity stacks

2009 ZX-10r Full Gen4 Brock's SS exhaust with CF 14" can, PC3, Secondary Butterflies Removed, Kawasaki Race Exhaust Cam, My Own TRE, Degreed Cams 109/108

2011 zx10r Lower'd 2" Frt & Rear, Stretched 8", Graves CF slipon, GUHL Flashed ECU

Last edited by PatrickG; 05-13-2012 at 03:03 PM.
post #5 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 03:15 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

hey hey!!! good shit dude. doin good, its a freakin riot being out there on the track. You keep practicing and youll get better for sure. Keep tryin to feed in more and more throttle from the start, as much as you can without the front comin up and climbing. If you can get it to pop the front up an inch or two and not climb any higher youve pretty much got it, like it was doing in your 1st video. To get a better R/T, which you dont need to worry about at this point, you just wanna go as soon as you see yellow on the Pro tree. On an Amateur tree you leave on 3rd yellow.

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
post #6 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

That bike is Stock height and the suspension is setup for trackdays fast road. Gearing is also stock. Bike is also swb.

post #7 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 05:09 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG0987 View Post
That bike is Stock height and the suspension is setup for trackdays fast road. Gearing is also stock. Bike is also swb.
I gotcha... Then hells yeah your gonna have to slip that clutch and fight it from coming up. If your gonna drag it part time then look into lowering the front and rear 2". Just lowering it will help lower your 60's and ETs.

2005 ZX-10R Akrapovic Ti Evo 2 w/CF LOR can, PC3 with custom map, Factory Pro velocity stacks

2009 ZX-10r Full Gen4 Brock's SS exhaust with CF 14" can, PC3, Secondary Butterflies Removed, Kawasaki Race Exhaust Cam, My Own TRE, Degreed Cams 109/108

2011 zx10r Lower'd 2" Frt & Rear, Stretched 8", Graves CF slipon, GUHL Flashed ECU
post #8 of 13 Old 05-13-2012, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
All show and all go 10r

Posting Frequency

I wont be setting it up for the strip at all. I'm learning this for the start of a race (circuit).

post #9 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 08:55 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Good job, your initial clutch release needs to be more aggressive in some of the videos, the ones where you hear the bike start to rev but it doesn't move very fast ( if that makes since). People will tell you the first 60 feet are the most important, I find that to not be the case, its actually more like the first 10 feet. Getting the bike moving IMMEDIATELY is the key to good 60' times.

You will know your giving it everything its got when the front tire comes up as SOON as you initially release the clutch and it stays about 6" off the ground until you get all of the clutch out.

Sponsored by:
Vaughan Racing
Synthetic Shield
Moline Bar
post #10 of 13 Old 05-14-2012, 09:05 PM
Bloo Moderator

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLG0987 View Post
I wont be setting it up for the strip at all. I'm learning this for the start of a race (circuit).
Ok that makes sense then but remember if your bringing a knife to a gun fight don't expect good results and that means if you do want a good result your going to have to burn the clutch not something you can afford to do in your type of racing I suspect.

Sent from My Computer via DSL mid to low service Firefox updated version, sometimes wireless sometimes Wire from the garage depending on connection speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in