A few drag questions - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 10-25-2009, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

A few drag questions

I have a few random questions that I have for strip vets. I am trying to figure out if what I'm doing is different or wrong compared to others. I also understand that dirrerent folks have different techniques but I think their is also a better way of doing things in order to be successful...so here goes...

1. Do you go watch the tach or go by sound/feel when shifting?

2. Does anybody come out of the hole with only your brake foot down while keeping your left foot at the ready on the shifter?

3. If I choose to put on an extention kit over the winter, what is the longest stretch that stays street friendly. I am not a canyon carver and understand it's adverse effects to handling.

4. Lastly...is there an extention kit that is of better quality than others(IE Myrtle West vs Roaring toys) I am money concious but don't want to invest in junk either.

All comments are welcome. Thanks for your time and experience.

Ebony Black 09 ZX10...Full Muzzy M10 Exhaust(Black Teflon)-Power Commander-Custom Map & Dyno Tuned-BMC-Puig Smoke DB Windscreen-Pro Grips-Undertail kit-ShoGun Frame Sliders-RT Lowering Links-More to follow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 10-25-2009, 09:34 PM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Im stock wheelbase so i cant really help with the extensions but.

1. i watch for the shift light, a lot of guys on here shift at redline or close to it. im assuming your foot shifting so when the time to shift comes you can "blip" the throttle and shift the bike without using the clutch.

2. I leave with both feet on the ground and drag them for a good bit. my shifter is also set up GP style so all i have to do is get my left foot up and step down to shift.

3. a few guys i know run their 3-9" extensions all the way back to 9" and still ride street 90% of the time.

hope this helps!

05 Green SWB

09 Special Edition. Muzzy GP series black teflon full system, Bazzaz Z-FI w/ AFM, K&N, fender elim.
post #3 of 38 Old 10-25-2009, 10:13 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the feedback. BTW, [email protected] is awesome. This is where I want to be once I get a few more mods and a lot more experience!

Ebony Black 09 ZX10...Full Muzzy M10 Exhaust(Black Teflon)-Power Commander-Custom Map & Dyno Tuned-BMC-Puig Smoke DB Windscreen-Pro Grips-Undertail kit-ShoGun Frame Sliders-RT Lowering Links-More to follow...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 10-25-2009, 10:36 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

It's ok to leave with one foot up if it helps you be able to shift in time. I also leave with both feet on the ground to help balance/stabilize myself. I look at the tach to set my rpm on launch and then watch it and shift right before redline. I also just switched to GP shift and I love it for drag racing. Any stretch 3-9 is still definitely streetable no problem. As for brands I personally ran Yana Shiki ones on my old R6 and they were fine. I don't see any point in spending more than $250 on them. You could get your stock arm extended for that much.

'06 "Corn Burner" Edition ZX10R
w/ a lot of bolt-ons
PERFORMANCE CYCLE 2 Racing
post #5 of 38 Old 10-25-2009, 11:47 PM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLAudio11 View Post
It's ok to leave with one foot up if it helps you be able to shift in time. I also leave with both feet on the ground to help balance/stabilize myself. I look at the tach to set my rpm on launch and then watch it and shift right before redline. I also just switched to GP shift and I love it for drag racing. Any stretch 3-9 is still definitely streetable no problem. As for brands I personally ran Yana Shiki ones on my old R6 and they were fine. I don't see any point in spending more than $250 on them. You could get your stock arm extended for that much.
Cool. With the foot thing, I have problems getting myself back to a good forward drag racing posture in 1st gear running at WOT while dragging two feet. If I have this problem while practicing my launches on the street I can only imagine how it would be trying to hook up on the strip. I know these things come with time and experience too but I figure these mods will help either way eventually. I am thinking about getting a Catalyst drag seat in hopes to remedy some of this and possibly lower my ET too. I have seen where some have upholstered them for daily riding and ditched the stock seat alltogether. Reversing the gear pattern also sounds like it would help also. At this point I have more idea's than money so I will continue to practice with my current set up. Thanks for your input.

post #6 of 38 Old 10-26-2009, 01:42 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Whats your times to date?
post #7 of 38 Old 10-26-2009, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by PearlOrange04 View Post
Whats your times to date?
I have no times to date yet man. Still trying to learn the basics like launching and shifting effectively etc on the back roads before I commit to a track. In all honesty the bike can be quite intimidating and want to set myself up for success so I don't go out there and hurt myself or worse...somebody else. Anyway, if all goes well, I am planning to run it next spring once I get it (and myself) where I want it over the winter. Do you have any helpful tips or words of wisdom for an aspiring weekend drag racer?

post #8 of 38 Old 10-26-2009, 09:02 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

I foot shift my bike also,i leave with both feet down,first gear is so tall i have plenty of time to get my feet up to shift. been 8.80's like that.

Now what
post #9 of 38 Old 10-26-2009, 10:05 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

leave both feet on the ground your balance will be much better. with more time you will stop worrying about looping it and you will be able to concentrate on getting your feet up. right now your probably so worried about other things that its causing you to wait until your comfortable that all is going right before telling yourself you need to get your feet up to shift. Im not a big fan of bolt on extensions. you can get your factory arm extended for under $500 and its welded and safer IMO. If your no into dragging your knee in corners now you will probably not notice the additional arm length at all. I would recommend an arm that adjusts from 6-9" over. You will be very suprised how well it still corners long. It wont keep up with someone who rides very aggressively but if you dont ride like that now within a half of a day you will be familiar with the extended wheelbase. also anykind of seat with a 2-3" back built into it will get your confidence up because you wont have that flying off the back of the bike feeling when launching.
post #10 of 38 Old 10-26-2009, 04:14 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Any arm 5-6" or more stretched won't hook like a SWB for roll on racing...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in