Dragstrip noob alert (video inside) - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Dragstrip noob alert (video inside)

I was hoping for a better ET ... BUT ...

Although I'm used to launching my roadrace FZR400, I've never done it in earnest on the big bike ... And I'm not used to the christmas tree, I didn't figure out the bit about leaving on the last yellow instead of the green until talking to others afterward, that would take some getting used to.

I can't believe I couldn't figure out how to adjust the RPM that the shift light comes on. Time to dig out the owner's book. The stock tach is useless (as all gen 1 owners know).

It was a hot day, which probably didn't help (approx 30 C and high humidity)

On the other hand, the +2 rear sprocket and 4 links longer chain to push the axle far back was a good thing to do. I have the front preload dialed back in the interest of getting proper sag ... I think this helped, too. I had some wheelies but they were not hard to control, easier than I thought it was going to be.

And, aside from the gearing and a steering damper, my bike is bog standard in terms of performance. Stock exhaust, stock catalytic converter ... The people watching said my bike was practically silent going down the track compared to everything else

How do the clutches stand up on these? I admit to taking it a bit easy on the launches in the interest of still having a bike that still works at the end of the day.

I wanna do this again! It's a different feeling from roadracing, but ... burnouts that nobody yells at you about, hard launches, violent acceleration, what's not to like? (and is it wrong to be wanting still more power )

Somehow, everything fun about motorcycles (to me) involves wrecking tires in some way shape or form, but at least this way I can take a pre-wrecked tire from a roadrace bike and finish it off at the drag strip LOL

comments and constructive criticism welcome ...

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

by the way, I could do reasonably consistent 11.2's without any trouble, did a couple of 11.1's, but 10's remained elusive. Should also mention that the bike has about 60,000 km on it.

Helibars, MRA screen, Ohlins damper, reversed shift pattern, sorted suspension, braided lines, Michelin Pilot Power, all else stock 'coz it's fast enough!
post #3 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 01:03 PM
Licensed Dist of HaterAde

Posting Frequency

Send a message via Yahoo to TMY10ER
Better than i could do bud,,,looks damn good to me for the first time!!!! I was trying to see what rpm you were leaving at cause there's a few guys on here leaving at 10 grand!!!!! i've been to a strip here in Baytown but never taken the bike down for a run!!!

Take a risk, and you may lose. Never risk, and you will always lose.

Last edited by TMY10ER; 07-12-2010 at 01:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 07-12-2010, 01:19 PM
GP Star

Posting Frequency

thanks for sharing man!!!! nice video editing!

BOOM!!! SHAKE AND BAKE
post #5 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 10:18 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

You def need to shift at higher rpm's and maybe work on your launching a little bit but other than that good runs. Aslo FYI it's bad track ettiquette to fully stage before your opponet has broken the first beam.

You Leakin Dawg!!

Last edited by PearlOrange04; 07-13-2010 at 10:21 AM.
post #6 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 11:15 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

yeah to adjust your shift light. turn your key on and hold both the buttons on the left of your gage. that will pull up where your shift light is set. nice video! drag racing is definitely addicting! i love to raod race but can't afford it so i turned to drag racing. i think if you shift later, closer to redline get wide open asap and take the tank cam off so you can tuck better you'll get into the 10's easy
post #7 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 11:28 AM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Looks good GoFaster! Keep at it and your comfort level and times will improve

2005 ZX6RR
[email protected] MPH
10.49 video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_KQhDSCvQA
Micron Serpent Full System-BMC Race-PC3
Kit ECU-Dynojet Quickshifter
Strapped-Short Wheelbase
www.mpsracing.com
post #8 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Thanks for the tips. Didn't know about the track etiquette thing ... this is something that there is no possible way for a noob to know beforehand.

I figured out the shift light adjustment, that's done now. The tank camera wasn't really all that big an obstruction. Couldn't have done that video without it, though, and having watched it a few times myself, I think I can leave on the last yellow on the next try instead of waiting for the green.

I'll probably give it another go in another couple of weeks, and failing that, I'll bring the bike to the next roadrace round at that track, same as I did this time.

post #9 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 PM Thread Starter
Supercharged Mod

Posting Frequency

Micron, I watched your video, too. Fast time for a 600 there! But, you left on the last yellow like others have been telling me, and redlighted. This looks like a tricky bit to get right!

edit: I counted your shifts. 6th gear by the end of the quarter mile? Short gearing!!

Last edited by GoFaster; 07-13-2010 at 02:42 PM.
post #10 of 20 Old 07-13-2010, 02:53 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
Micron, I watched your video, too. Fast time for a 600 there! But, you left on the last yellow like others have been telling me, and redlighted. This looks like a tricky bit to get right!

edit: I counted your shifts. 6th gear by the end of the quarter mile? Short gearing!!
it takes alot of practice to get to where you can cut consistently good lights. I leave when i see the last yellow and consistently cut .030 lights

Sponsored by:
Vaughan Racing
Synthetic Shield
Moline Bar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in