1Likes
  • 1 Post By rkd

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 06-11-2015, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Smile Drag Racing Adventure

My job has kept me busy for the last year, but I finally decided this spring to go to the Rickey Gadsen Drag Racing School, since he offered at Carolina Dragway the end of April. That's only a couple hours away. Note that I had 10 runs down a track on a bike in my life until this, and 3 of those were in 1973.

Anyway, it was an amazing two days! The guy is unbelievable, and an amazing instructor! Super nice guy and unbelievably sharp. He must have shown us a dozen runs in the 9.0 range. Well organized, new bikes, great support guy, etc.

I rented one of his new ZX14Rs, stretched, lowered, extended swing arm, lots of electronics and an air shifter.

He covered every detail from burnout to body position to mental prep.

I had some issues learning the air shifter, so he put my bike on autoshift for the last few runs. However, I am now a believer in electronic traction and wheelie control! It was so nice to be able to roll on a ZX14R with no fear of wheelieing, etc.

So, I finally made two good runs, the best being 11.51 at 128, not near what some of the other guys did, but my best ever track pass!

If you ever get the chance to do this, especially if you are able to race seriously or a lot, this has to be the best thing ever.
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-11-2015, 09:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Very cool to get out there and learn some things! I've been drag racing for a few years and since I'm still not as good as I think I could be I was tempted to do one of those drag schools.

Would you recommend it for someone who has a bit more experience or do you think it was more geared to newer people?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-11-2015, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Rickey can tailor to any level, but is focused on more experienced racers. Apparently people like Jason Britton, Rickeys cousin, and some top road racers have taken the class. Our class had nine guys, one from Trinidad and one from Iceland. Both owned ZX14Rs back home. Both were in the 9.0s in class. Another guy brought his own stretched and prepped ZX10R.

I was the oldest and least experienced rider there, and let everyone else go first. Still an awesome experience. I decided on it after watching a guy older than I am racing at Gulfport Dragway two years ago. He was there every time I was, if the track was open, grudge night, ratrod weekends, etc. He was also doing low 9s on a 14. I moved to SC where I am not near a track. I remember how long it took me to get the car figured out, and wont have that much seat time for a bike. This was an awesome and intense way to learn. I did the 2 day basic class, but he offers a third day, done in a full on race style format. I had grandchildren to go visit so could not attend all three days.

Most highly recommended!

Last edited by rkd; 06-11-2015 at 10:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-11-2015, 10:19 PM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Very cool! Would love to do this, but it definitely isn't cheap.

2016 Ninja H2 - CANADAS Fastest 1/4 - 8.34 at 169mph - 208.4mph in the mile. Brocks Performance Stage 2 Package, MC Cycle works Intercooler, Full Polished Slash-Cut Exhaust, DNA Filter, PC5, Brocks Lowering Links, Brocks Front Strap Kit, BST Rim, Adams Performance Swingarm 7-11", Zero Gravity Corsa Windscreen, Evotech Radiator Guard, Evotech Fork Sliders, Yoshimura Tail Tidy

2011 ZX10R - SOLD
post #5 of 5 Old 06-12-2015, 09:40 PM Thread Starter
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

It really was not super expensive, for two full days, I spent about $2k. That included two nights in a local hotel in Aiken SC, and two days bike rental with insurance. Just using his bikes, perfectly set up was worth the cost to me, as well as not having to take a trailer and tools. If you bring your bike, you could save $600 of that cost.

I was really in awe of his skills, and his ability to teach. For me, it was the most intense thing I have done in a couple years. Also note that he learned this on the streets and track. No mistaking he is the real deal and a very intense competitor. Would not want him in the other lane!
BOOSTED likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in