Drag Race Start - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Drag Race Start

Ok, newbie/old guy question. Bone stock 06 bike.

Not really familiar with the bike yet, but I posted my track adventure of Wed.

How do you get solid on the bike or in the seat to launch. I found myself trying to hold on with my arms and my butt was going back in the seat.

Do you slide all the way to the rear before starting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 09:46 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Man either pick up a shaved seat to put on for the strip or take yours off and sit on the battery. IMO thats the only way to go. Try and you'll see what i'm talking about. If I ever jump on a buddy's bike to make a pass the first thing I do is take off their seat. It'll drop rider height quite a bit and will definitely help you from moving around.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 10:08 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmagma10 View Post
Man either pick up a shaved seat to put on for the strip or take yours off and sit on the battery. IMO thats the only way to go. Try and you'll see what i'm talking about. If I ever jump on a buddy's bike to make a pass the first thing I do is take off their seat. It'll drop rider height quite a bit and will definitely help you from moving around.
...one thing u will notice is how low u actually are sitting on the bike....it's like 2-3 lower.....u should get a better feel of the bike then too..my first mod to the seat was I simply took all the foam out and sat on the seat tray but I eventually got a drag seat..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
rkd
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

Thanks! I will start looking for a spare seat.

It was embarrasing, my butt sliding back, my feet missing the pegs, and remembering I did not put the visor down.

All that said, I also felt like crap when I finally got to the track, and I knew I had to ride home. So two really slow shakedown runs and went out the gate home. Trailer next time!
post #5 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 10:12 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedboitoo View Post
...one thing u will notice is how low u actually are sitting on the bike....it's like 2-3 lower.....u should get a better feel of the bike then too..my first mod to the seat was I simply took all the foam out and sat on the seat tray but I eventually got a drag seat..
Excatly! My buddy has a carbon fiber seat pan on his busa but it has a little hump on the back and is slick. The first couple passes i made on it my ass slid right up on top of the bump. So I had him take it off and it was SO much better just sitting on the battery.
post #6 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 10:21 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

I got a cut down seat for a gen 2. Really nice seat, its been shaved down and got the extra padding in the rear to keep you tight on the tank. Send me your # and ill send you pics. 6186630717
post #7 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Aye magma.....one thing I did was put a thin piece of dense foam on my pan to help with the slipping back......my drag seat has that hump too bump bc it's soo smooth u still tend to slide back a lil....so it was a no brainer on my part to put som foam to aid in sliding back
post #8 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 11:00 AM
Slow Poke

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixedboitoo View Post
Aye magma.....one thing I did was put a thin piece of dense foam on my pan to help with the slipping back......my drag seat has that hump too bump bc it's soo smooth u still tend to slide back a lil....so it was a no brainer on my part to put som foam to aid in sliding back
Thats what I would say too! Or just some grip tape or somethin but its not mine and he doesn't have a problem with it because he's a little uhhh bigger in the ass department.
post #9 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 11:02 AM
Track Day Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmagma10 View Post
Thats what I would say too! Or just some grip tape or somethin but its not mine and he doesn't have a problem with it because he's a little uhhh bigger in the ass department.
True!!!!! :)
post #10 of 14 Old 03-22-2013, 11:31 AM
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

street riding in jeans i can't keep my butt in place if pinned in first, sec., sometimes 3rd. leather pants make a huge difference, ialso squeeze with my legs. mild step seat does little to help out of leathers. high firm step made to fit u where u are comfortable seat position wise really helps. im 5'9 like to position right at tank racing, step at rear of seat benefits me little. know what ur dealing with, had a old school kaw no bar dragbike years ago that would launch real hard(over 300 lbs cranking compression and a heavy crank), man i was struggling just to hang on. had a seat done with huge hard foam 90 degree step right where i wanted it, changed everything, including my times and confidence from being locked in place. real valid question, glad to hear ur back. have fun, stay safe. btw, picked up a nice pair of like new leather race pants off ebay for $55.

Last edited by gazx10; 03-22-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in