DIY Kill Switch Tether - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

DIY Kill Switch Tether

Has anyone done one? I don't mean drill a hole through your stock kill switch either. I mean something that looks more like a product you would order that taps the stock kill system and runs 2 prongs connected by a jumper to act as a dead-man's switch.

and if someone has, what about splicing a rocker switch to by-pass the tether?

Figuring I will be running faster than 7.0 at my strip pending my up and coming mods (hopefully tomorrow!!) and they require a tether kill switch and full leathers. Beyond that, track limit is 6.0 and 115mph. Something tells me theyre gonna be pissed at me

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 05:44 AM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

We used a $20 universal tether on my buddies 10. Much cheaper than the PMR alternative that I went with and it mounts up real nice on the front reservoir bracket.
post #3 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

pic? or instructions on how?

08 ZX6R Radial M/C ZG Sport Touring Windscreen CBR600RR Calipers BMC Street Filter
GP Shift Pattern DIY Mod Fender Eliminator Kit 16/44 Gearing Euro Flushmount Signals
Gauge Cluster Color DIY ModSoupy's Fully Adjustable Lowering Links HEL Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 02:04 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

I don't have any pics of it right now, but I'll be going to work on that bike this weekend so I can snap some pics then. They are the universal tethers we normally install on sleds. I tried attaching a pic of what we use. Just mount that to the reservoir bracket. I believe the ZX needs a normally closed tether, but I can double check that too. You can get them at pretty much any powersports store or fleabay.

Install is pretty easy. Cut one of the wires running to the kill switch (doesn't matter which one). Attach one of the tether wires to a cut end, and the other wire to the other cut end (so tether is in-line). When the tether is seated, the cicuit is normally closed. When it is pulled, the circuit opens and kills the engine. I did a quick wiring diagram too, very simple. Note: colors are not actual colors, just for a visual. Refer to service manual for your year to determine proper kill switch wiring colors.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tether.jpg
Views:	901
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	157689  
Attached Images

Last edited by BGoodwin22; 02-09-2012 at 02:16 PM.
post #5 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

sounds awesome! I need to pick one up. thanks for the pic and the diagram. thats actually a pretty good diagram lol. how much did you pain for the tether if you dont my asking?

post #6 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

would you, or anyone else know about making you own? splicing like you said, and just making something 2 prong and using a jumper to keep the circuit closed.

post #7 of 9 Old 02-09-2012, 04:57 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Op- View Post
sounds awesome! I need to pick one up. thanks for the pic and the diagram. thats actually a pretty good diagram lol. how much did you pain for the tether if you dont my asking?
We picked one of those up for $20 at the local powersports store. There are plenty of places online that you can get em for that or less.
post #8 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 01:04 PM
Champion Rider

Posting Frequency

not to revive an old thread OP but did you ever do this? I need one when its track time.

post #9 of 9 Old 03-28-2012, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

I did, but I got lucky and at a local shop, a guy had taken one off his racebike and sold it to me for half price. When I installed it, instead of how BGoodwin said, and Im not knocking how he posted to, I spliced into both lines for the kill switch. I put one wire to one side of the kill switch, and the other wire to the other wire of the kill switch. My reasoning for this was because its still my street ride and you have to engage both kill systems, flip the kill switch and pull the tether, for it to kill the bike.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in