Clutchless Shifting Q - Kawasaki ZX-10R.net

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 06-10-2008, 12:00 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to OneSLOW10
Clutchless Shifting Q

I'm wanting to know once I get into 2nd if I just pop up thro the grears fast while WOT instead of backing off a tad and clutchin into the next gear if it will cause the front to pop up or get a little unstable. I will be straped and I don't have a DJ Quick Shifter or Air shifter yet so I just wanna see if its ok to bang the gears that way

2005 PMR. Full Ti Evo 2, BMC Race, V-Stacks, PC3, IG Module, DJ QS (not installed), 1/5th throw (not installed), -1 +2 with Gold RK Chain, Speedo Healer V4, Removed 2ndaries, Red GiPro, Pilot Powers, Dual H.I.D.s, Brocks brackets and strap, Rear 2" Muzzy Drop, Vortex Rearsets, Scotts Damper, 2 HyperPro Dampers, Puig DB, ASV Levers, Titax Levers, Pazzo Levers, Kill switch (made to look like it's mounted), CA front/rear lights and a owner who adores her...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 06-10-2008, 12:03 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

expect a little front end shake if no damper. mine got a bit squirley on each shift.
post #3 of 20 Old 06-10-2008, 12:09 PM
REPOST Enforcement Mod

Posting Frequency

Garage
It's OK to upshift without the clutch, but you'll have to "back off" a tad anyways to get it to pop into the next gear. The gear dogs are undercut to help keep them together under load. The only way to allow them to disengage properly is to preload the shift pedal, back off the throttle slightly, and bang it into gear. It won't hurt anything if done properly. If done sloppily it can damage tranny parts such as forks, shift drum, gear dogs, etc. The quickshifter interupts the ignition signal when a gear change is made to allow the tranny to unload in this same fashion for a split second while the throttle is still held open.

If you've never done it before, I'd recommend practicing it outside of a dragstrip environment first.

It shouldn't cause the front end to wobble or come up unexpectedly when doing this.

I may not be perfect, but at least I don't ride a Suzuki.

Ridding the Internet of bad grammar, 1 post at a time.
#WordCrimes

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 06-10-2008, 12:17 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Look at the other thread you posted. I put up a vid of Norm Jackson and he is shifting without the clutch.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
post #5 of 20 Old 06-10-2008, 12:24 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDork View Post
It's OK to upshift without the clutch, but you'll have to "back off" a tad anyways to get it to pop into the next gear. The gear dogs are undercut to help keep them together under load. The only way to allow them to disengage properly is to preload the shift pedal, back off the throttle slightly, and bang it into gear. It won't hurt anything if done properly. If done sloppily it can damage tranny parts such as forks, shift drum, gear dogs, etc. The quickshifter interupts the ignition signal when a gear change is made to allow the tranny to unload in this same fashion for a split second while the throttle is still held open.

If you've never done it before, I'd recommend practicing it outside of a dragstrip environment first.

It shouldn't cause the front end to wobble or come up unexpectedly when doing this.
Thanks for the info. :)

2005 PMR. Full Ti Evo 2, BMC Race, V-Stacks, PC3, IG Module, DJ QS (not installed), 1/5th throw (not installed), -1 +2 with Gold RK Chain, Speedo Healer V4, Removed 2ndaries, Red GiPro, Pilot Powers, Dual H.I.D.s, Brocks brackets and strap, Rear 2" Muzzy Drop, Vortex Rearsets, Scotts Damper, 2 HyperPro Dampers, Puig DB, ASV Levers, Titax Levers, Pazzo Levers, Kill switch (made to look like it's mounted), CA front/rear lights and a owner who adores her...
post #6 of 20 Old 06-10-2008, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
GP Rider

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1killer1liter View Post
Look at the other thread you posted. I put up a vid of Norm Jackson and he is shifting without the clutch.
Will do brotha

post #7 of 20 Old 06-10-2008, 12:32 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

The dogs are not undercut on the zx-10 tranny stock..........

The ignition will also not kill when you pull up on the shifter.
post #8 of 20 Old 06-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Post Whore

Posting Frequency

Quote:
Originally Posted by redline659 View Post
The ignition will also not kill when you pull up on the shifter.
With a DJ quickshifter it will.

I live my life a quarter-pounder at a time. And for those 500 calories or more, im free. I need FRIESSSS! Two of them. The big ones. Oh, and I need them tonight. You're lucky the double shot of BBQ sauce didnt blow a seam on your nugget box.
post #9 of 20 Old 06-10-2008, 03:02 PM
inappropriate

Posting Frequency

Send a message via AIM to hesaves0211
Quote:
Originally Posted by logmaster View Post
expect a little front end shake if no damper. mine got a bit squirley on each shift.
please tell me you have a damper

1ST GEN-10R 234hp/[email protected], GT2871RS, cometic gasket, tial bov/ex wastegate, BEGI FMU, WALBRO fuel pump,falicon clutch basket,race pak clutch,200/50 pilot,yana-shiki levers,.net wristband, WEGO III,PC3,GPR damper,cbr cals/Galfer SS brake lines,gp shift,1/5 throttle, 2NDARIES REMOVED <<click for how-to, *R.I.P D.J 10 Apr 04*
post #10 of 20 Old 06-10-2008, 04:36 PM
WSB Rider

Posting Frequency

[QUOTE=SkyDork;965455]It's OK to upshift without the clutch, but you'll have to "back off" a tad anyways to get it to pop into the next gear. QUOTE]

You can hold WOT & slightly fan the clutch.........it wont let the revs drop that way.

I just got a damper. nice addition.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Kawasaki ZX-10R.net forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in